Electronic deer calls...anyone use them?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lscha

Post by lscha »

I put one on a tree away from my stand so if a deer was between the call and me, I could hit it and the deer would look at it to give me a chance to pull my bow. Worked on does. Never got a chance to try it on bucks. I left it out on the tree at the end of the season and forgot where it was after that. Couldn't find it. :lol:

This year I have a FoxPro for coyotes and it has some deer calls on it. If I get in a slump and want to pull out all the stops, I might give it a try but I've never had much luck calling in deer.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

the only thing I use them for are crow and foxes..

for deer I just use my own grunt and can call.. to many gadgets in the tree get on my nerves lol

i think they are still illegal here though
Esox

Post by Esox »

I like your idea about using the call away from the stand. That way, at least, the call might draw the deers attension away from the hunter. I would think, like any other kind of calling, your stand set up and hunting area would be most important.. If the deer is able to see right through your area then the call would probably be less effective, but if you're hunting hilly country the deer might come in close still looking for the source of the call... Could be very productive.... Good call Laura!!
wabi

Post by wabi »

e-calls (electronic calls) are something I have tried (some of the cheaper models, and quality of the sounds produced was poor IMO), but just never really liked. They work in some circumstances, and I guess some of the newer remote control ones with hundreds of high quality sound tracks available (some even allow playing of more than one sound at the same time) would probably be very effective, but the cost is not too appealing. The idea of placing the call some distance from your location, and then being able to select & play the sound(s) remotely offers some real advantages.
I would have to say "forget the lower priced models", though. The ones I tried had a very short sound recording that was "looped" to repeat over & over. Sounded like a critter with the hiccups! :lol:
I'd guess the right sounds (like a real buck fight with an estrous doe sound played at the same time) under the right conditions could be very effective. 8)
wabi
DARTONATOR

Post by DARTONATOR »

Hi bstout. I currently have one listed in the "Trading Post" section of this website. Check it out. I think you will find that the quality of the product is very good and the price is a fraction of what you would pay, had you bought it brand new.
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

bought a J stewart call years ago. great for fox and crows. had deer come in on the fox call. lol have to watch the eye color before you shoot. Shot alot of fox and crows. :)
Gimpaw

Post by Gimpaw »

I have never tried an electronic call. I have tried several blow calls, and was never impressed with them. I forgot my call one day, and when I saw a buck headed away from my stand, I was forced to improvise. I made my tongue wide and made a sheep "Baahhh" the wide tongue makes for a thick sound. The buck came right in.
I gave away my calls after that. I've had very good results with the equipment that God gave me, and it never gets left on the porch by mistake.
If you forget your call, or decide that they aren't working, you may want to give it a try
"I was young and foolish; now I'm old and foolisher".
Mark Twain