Muzzle Loading Advise needed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hawg hunter

muzzleloader

Post by hawg hunter »

First off junk the pellets. Use loose powder you can customizeyour loads better. Barns bullets are your best bet.accuracy and penetration. You will find that around 80grains your groups will tighten. Increase untill they open up,usually around 90 gr. All this Bs about shooting 200yds is a bunch of Bs amuzzleloader is a good CLOSE range weapon.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

archiarcher wrote:I have 2 CVA Kodiaks and use 120 grains of Triple 7 and 295 grain Powerbelts in both and they shoot awesome out to 200 yards! I was at the range today, and a guy had a new Thompson Center "Bone Collector" and he was using those Barnes bullets. He was bitching because the bullets were so hard to load and accuracy at 100 yards was absolutely terrible.
every ML'er will shoot a certain combo better.. It took me 2-3 years to find the best in mine

the T'C guns will shoot the shockwave sabots like a rifle. But they disslike other types of sabots. I tried the barnes in my Knight and they were living hell to load also, but they shot good. I actaully snapped the end off the ramrod trying to get them in the barrel though.
Curdog

Bullets

Post by Curdog »

Go with the PR bullets, Ive been using them for a few years. Worked great in my Knight T-Bolt, and great in my Savage.

Curdog
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

"The only drawback to the Barnes is that they load hard - very tight to extremely tight fit in every bore I've loaded them in! "

I had the same problem and posted on a ML forum for help. Got every suggestion under the sun...then a ML Target shooter weighed in. Said to use Ballistol ( http://www.ballistol.com/) mixed 50/50 with water. Not just to clean the barrel between shots but to use a dab between thumb and fist finger to lube the sabot. Walla! Seating problem gone, accuracy stayed.
Cleaning the barrel with it between shot leaves a film that prevents rust and makes seating easier.
Barnes work great for me. Powerbelts seat easier because they are loose, I got poor accuracy too and flattened or fragmented bullets.
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

This a 260gr dead center the shot was 218yrds at a doe ,she was facing me with a slight angle, this bullet went in her right shoulder and almost came out her left hip had to cut it out from under her skin. this bullet still ways 248gr and mushroom out perfect, see the test below and see where your favorite bullet is,remember all guns don't shoot the same, hope this helps someone.

Wes

http://hpmuzzleloading.com/Technical.html

http://hpmuzzleloading.com/Technical4.html
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I have the Pursuit II XLT and have had great luck with 300 grain 44 cal Horandy XTP bullets . Great groups at 100 yards with loose FFg powder in around 90 grains. Gun goes BOOM deer goes FLOP .
philman

Post by philman »

Crazy farmer is right! Each and every ML will shoot different, you have to find the combo that works best for your gun. Get out, shoot, experiment. Good luck! :D
Boo

Post by Boo »

crazyfarmer wrote:
archiarcher wrote:I have 2 CVA Kodiaks and use 120 grains of Triple 7 and 295 grain Powerbelts in both and they shoot awesome out to 200 yards! I was at the range today, and a guy had a new Thompson Center "Bone Collector" and he was using those Barnes bullets. He was bitching because the bullets were so hard to load and accuracy at 100 yards was absolutely terrible.
every ML'er will shoot a certain combo better.. It took me 2-3 years to find the best in mine

the T'C guns will shoot the shockwave sabots like a rifle. But they disslike other types of sabots. I tried the barnes in my Knight and they were living hell to load also, but they shot good. I actaully snapped the end off the ramrod trying to get them in the barrel though.
Harold, I challenge you to try the Dead Centers. You'll find a good load in a big hurry and one that takes game with consistency.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

Wow I would like to thank everyone for responding, you have given me alot of great information and will pass it on to my father also I hope i retain it for myself as I too will be purchasing a muzzle loader soon but I am still on the fence on a couple guns lol too many choices.
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
Boo

Post by Boo »

Fishn-Hunter wrote:Wow I would like to thank everyone for responding, you have given me alot of great information and will pass it on to my father also I hope i retain it for myself as I too will be purchasing a muzzle loader soon but I am still on the fence on a couple guns lol too many choices.
Ian, think about the Savage, low requirements for cleaning, uses smokeless and has an accutrigger!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Boo wrote: Ian, think about the Savage, low requirements for cleaning, uses smokeless and has an accutrigger!
Far and away the mest muzzleloader I have EVER shot! This gun will just plain amaze you!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Boo wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote:

Harold, I challenge you to try the Dead Centers. You'll find a good load in a big hurry and one that takes game with consistency.
im sure they work well:) But the combo im using now hasnt lost a deer yet and has 1inch groups at 100 yards so I dont need to switch:) I just dont want to fix something thats not broken :P

I really liked the blackhorn powder, but has a misfire with it. So im back to T7 which has always performed great for me with the shockwaves

if he's under 30 yards groups at 100yards dont matter :P :lol:
whdahel

Post by whdahel »

I have the very same gun you speak of and I like it.
I use the 245 grain with about 85 grain of triple 7 powder. I have had great results. as a matter of fact I like my muzzle loader so much I use it in shot gun season. Two bucks ago I took a 8 point @ 150 yards on a trot with it!it went all the way through and the slug stopped in the pelt on the other side! what more can you ask for?

Every gun is different so you have to experiment. I have had much luck with the powerbelts. Also they are easy to load!

Good luck
lady bird

Post by lady bird »

crazyfarmer wrote:barnes makes some good sbaots;)

I personally use the shockwave 250grain sbaots.. I havent found anything more accurate, but thats on my setup out of the pro hunter. Im using 100 grains of T7 but I might try 150 this year just to test some 200 yard shots. But 90% of my shots are 30 yards and less
I shoot the same out of my prohunter, but use 150 grains. Im very happy with it, shot real nice groups this past weekend at 100 yards.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

lady bird wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote:barnes makes some good sbaots;)

I personally use the shockwave 250grain sbaots.. I havent found anything more accurate, but thats on my setup out of the pro hunter. Im using 100 grains of T7 but I might try 150 this year just to test some 200 yard shots. But 90% of my shots are 30 yards and less
I shoot the same out of my prohunter, but use 150 grains. Im very happy with it, shot real nice groups this past weekend at 100 yards.
how is the recoil with the 150?? With the flextech stock I cant even feel 100grains LOL

I got my best groups with the blackhorn 209 powder, but I had a mishap with that after 3 days of hunting so I switched back to T7. Never once had an issue with T7 other than the cleanup:)