ANY TIPS FOR CALLING IN A BUCK IN EARLY BOW SEASON??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bull_dogg

ANY TIPS FOR CALLING IN A BUCK IN EARLY BOW SEASON??

Post by bull_dogg »

Hi does anyone have any good tips for calling in deer in early bow season??
Gimpaw

Post by Gimpaw »

I've always left the grunting until the rut was well established. Early rut... I doe called.
This is what worked for me. Others may have their own thoughts on this.
"I was young and foolish; now I'm old and foolisher".
Mark Twain
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Have never tried it. Wanted to welcome you to the forum though :)
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

planter wrote: As a side note I have seen video of two young kids screaming with distressed fawn sounds and having does come running in as fast as heck! It might be a fun thing to try for early season doe....
I have had does turn around and come running with the fawn in distress call. I don't sit and call but if I bump one I will quickly move 10-15 yards to the right or left and then hit the call. It seems to work well in the early season whether a doe has fawns or not. I do this sparingly as they wise up pretty quick.I figure that if I bumped the deer I don't have much to lose anyway.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
bull_dogg

Post by bull_dogg »

Thanx everyone for the tips. Seem like a good group of people here.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

biggest tip is to watch your deer.. then you see small bucks starting to tickle their antlers, its time to do the samething. I always have far better luck rattling easy then all out war! It makes a bigger buck think its smaller bucks sparring.

as for grunts.. I dont grunt untill the week before the rut. I dont use any calls or scents either untill about the last week of Oct. Untill then, I let the deer come to me on the food sources.. plus the less you teach them about calls early in the year, the better they work when the rut hits :lol:
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

crazyfarmer wrote: plus the less you teach them about calls early in the year, the better they work when the rut hits :lol:
You said a mouthful there CF!!

As a rule of thumb, I imitate bucks during the pre-rut and imitate doe's during the rut. Not a hard and fast rule mind you, but just something I have found to produce the best results.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Mike P wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote: plus the less you teach them about calls early in the year, the better they work when the rut hits :lol:

As a rule of thumb, I imitate bucks during the pre-rut and imitate doe's during the rut. Not a hard and fast rule mind you, but just something I have found to produce the best results.
kinda like crying wolf.. the more than respond early, the less likely they will come to it later on.

its just like turkey hunting though.. normally light and easy works best. But sometimes on special days you can call loud and aggressive. It just depends on the time of the year :D

In Va, we dont have the hugeeeee rack bucks so rattling light and easy normally works best. Very seldom do 2 gaints lock antlers here. When they do, most of the lil bucks clear the woods LOL :D
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Mike P wrote:
I second that tactic as well....and i will add that they are social creatures so they like to be together. I doe bleat once every hour or so just once if I am in a area i intend on returning to BUT if I am somewhere that I dont hunt mutch at all I will call more often ( doe bleats) and as it gets closer to dark I will bleat even more. they are curious as well and will come to see whats up.. Ive watched them over the years and have tried to imitate the as well and when they do talk to each other its not very much vocalization that they do..When I have seen them in the woods attempt to bleat as a loner they may do it twice but most often only once unless the doe is calling for a fawn she will bleat often and loud..
For bucks the fawn in distress works well in early season. They are not interested in doe yet and they get to feeling thier oats with that rack on there head.If they think a fawn is in trouble they will come chargin in to tear up a coyote or what ever.. I killed a young fawn one early year for some excellent table fare. i hit the fawn as to where it could continue calling out in distress, but it couldnt flee... A nice buck came right into bow range to see what the problem was and he paid the price.. so it does work I know from for sure it does..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
deerdhunter

Post by deerdhunter »

I hunt in central Virginia & season opens in early October. Usually by the last week of October the bucks are usually interested in or chasing does. For the past three seasons I have been using bleats and young buck calls all season with good success. I only started using calls three seasons ago and have called more and more frequently as good results have happened for me.
animal

Post by animal »

As a side note I have seen video of two young kids screaming with distressed fawn sounds and having does come running in as fast as heck! It might be a fun thing to try for early season doe....[/quote]

yes and you should only be about 5 feet up the tree does come running in as fast as heck you need to be ready for the shot . Works best with two people one doing the calling :wink: They will move in and out very fast.
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF ALL INVENTION

EXOCET 200
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

deerdhunter wrote:I hunt in central Virginia & season opens in early October. Usually by the last week of October the bucks are usually interested in or chasing does. For the past three seasons I have been using bleats and young buck calls all season with good success. I only started using calls three seasons ago and have called more and more frequently as good results have happened for me.
I know rattling has given more results for me in the past 2 years also...