Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

An ounce of prevention :D Smart move :)
I am a hunter and proud of it.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i normally ditch the factory straps.. if anything, ill use those around the bottom of the hangon to prevent kickouts. I want my stand TIGHT on the tree so I get the 500lb ratchet straps and use those. Some recent stands I bought didnt hook to the tree right, so I welded the bracket that was held by one screw and now im tieing that bracket to the tree with a ratchet strap

every stand can be made better :D

i like getting the 25-55 dollar ones at the end of the season and doing a few things to them to make them better
Esox

Post by Esox »

I don't think I have any hunting gear I haven't tinkered with.... That's half the fun....I rarely find something out of the box that's ready to go... Treestands are one thing I always make personal... If only to add camo paint to them, or rubberize the floor, add new straps, hooks, railing, seats or traction strips, wind threads, storage pouch or etra supports. All of these and more are SOP for me.... I want it to be functional and quiet... and often the show room model falls short.....

Among my current favorites are Lone Wolf (climber) and Climax (lock on) and any sturdy ladderstand.....
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Ya I will need to do some on this old guy. I built back in 81 when I hunted the property for 4 years, I got the property back this year and my old stand is still there.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've just about quit using hang-ons & climbers theses days. Still have one hang-on up, but I use a ladder stand in the same tree and use the ladder stand to get to the hang-on. All I did to that hang-on was replace the factory nylon strap with steel cables (two 3/32" - 920# test) and also secure it with a heavy duty ratchet strap. I may switch to the chain & turnbuckle if I leave it another year. (I like to feel secure :roll: :lol: :lol: )
About all my stands get some modifications. Whatever I feel is needed to make the secure & quiet (or at least will help). All the stands I've ever bought could use some adjustments to make them quieter, and hanging one by that thin nylon strap that often is supplied makes me nervous. (wild critters like to chew on such things, and it's bad enough just to sit on a cushion with a nest of mice inside) :shock:
wabi
Boo

Post by Boo »

Bob, I use a regular gas mig welder at work and have often thought about a 110v welder like yours for the cottage. Any complaints about them? What thickness of steel can you reliably weld? Any features that you wish you had?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I built my own hang on stands for quite a while .Now I purchase stands at the end of season and modify them . Hard to beat the price I have paid fot the hang ons. Best deal so far was for a Gorilla King Kong . Walmart was clearing them out for $ 35.00 . Won't fire up my welder for that kind of price.

Boo, if I were to get a hobby welder it would be a 220 volt model . The 110volt models are ok for light material . If heavier work needs to be done the 220 has the power to do the job . A friend had a 110 volt model that was quite finicky . He purchased a Lincoln Weldpac 180 and loves it . About the same price as a 110 volt model . It can be used with flux core or set up to use gas and solid wire as well .
Boo

Post by Boo »

Farmer wrote:I built my own hang on stands for quite a while .Now I purchase stands at the end of season and modify them . Hard to beat the price I have paid fot the hang ons. Best deal so far was for a Gorilla King Kong . Walmart was clearing them out for $ 35.00 . Won't fire up my welder for that kind of price.

Boo, if I were to get a hobby welder it would be a 220 volt model . The 110volt models are ok for light material . If heavier work needs to be done the 220 has the power to do the job . A friend had a 110 volt model that was quite finicky . He purchased a Lincoln Weldpac 180 and loves it . About the same price as a 110 volt model . It can be used with flux core or set up to use gas and solid wire as well .
Harold, have you used a 110 volt model often?
Boo

Post by Boo »

Thanks Bob!