Number of strings . .

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Number of strings . .

Post by sumner4991 »

Another thread got me to thinking . . .how many strings do I have?

I currently have 15 strings.

I have five factory standard dacron. Most of these are brown and black.

I have 6 factory flemish of varing colors and string material other than dacron. I got three of these from a website that had them on clearance . . .seems like I paid $6 per string or something crazy like that. The website closed down shortly after my purchase.

I have four Boo strings. They are my hunting strings. Two with whiskers and two without.

The various colors I have are . . . red/black, blue/black, yellow/black, lite green/black, gray/black, gray/brown/green & yellow/green.

I would still like to get a string with my College colors . . .however, Boo doesn't have the Hokie colors! :evil: So, I suppose I'll have to make my own string . . .after I wear out these 15 . . . :shock:

How many strings do you have? I know David has a couple:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
lscha

Re: Number of strings . .

Post by lscha »

sumner4991 wrote:Another thread got me to thinking . . .how many strings do I have?

I currently have 15 strings.

The various colors I have are . . . red/black, blue/black, yellow/black, lite green/black, gray/black, gray/brown/green & yellow/green.

:
What? No hot pink and black????? :shock: :lol:
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have about 35, 2 are factory the rest came from Boo.
I have a lot of Dacron, from way back when. Each one of them has a story, and I treasure them all.
With and without whiskers, Flemish twists, served ends..
I love my string collection!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

3 BOO string
3 1989 FFF strings
4 excel ones that never get used
sumner4991

Re: Number of strings . .

Post by sumner4991 »

lscha wrote: What? No hot pink and black????? :shock: :lol:
I noticed that right away. I vagely remember a weekend at a lake somewhere in a cozy cottage. There was string making and crossbow shooting. There was recurve shooting in the dark. There were fireworks(or gunshots). And there were hot pink and black strings!! :shock: Looking at these moved my emotions . . .almost a lust. I swear, I thought the master of stringing gave one to me. I can't find it anywhere. :cry: One of the other guys at the cottage MUST have taken it! I can't remember their names . . .but, I have a picture . . .

Looking at these pictures . . .they must have been altered. I see a Diet Coke . . .I don't recall a Diet Coke being in that man's hand . . .not all weekend! Probably the only picture he has shown his wife. :)

Sure is nice there this time of year . . .wish I could look out the front door and see this right now . . .

Holy smokes David . . .I knew you had a few . . .would have never guessed 35. :shock: I enjoy mine too. Different materials, thicknesses, makes and models . . .pretty cool.

Anybody have a bigger string addiction than David? :lol:

I'll have to make my next string a hot pink one . . .right after I get a VT string. :lol:

I can't believe it's been a year since that trip.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

one new excal
3 452x 2 with whiskers
all most 2 full spools of 452x and b 500
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

3 FFF factory strings
2 excel strings endless loop
2 dacron factory & 1 Boo dacron all endless loop
11 more Boo strings, 10 flemish & 1 endless loop
19 strings total
2 of my Boo customs are Red White & Blue
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

New to crossbows so only 2. :(

OK, so why do some of you guys have so many? Trying for that extra fps and/or reduction in noise? Surely to the game it does not matter how good lookling the string that propels the arrow that kills them. :)

Take care...
Normous

Post by Normous »

I just prefer not to run out fine strings.
Here is my Boo String Cellar Collection.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bkisel wrote:
OK, so why do some of you guys have so many? Trying for that extra fps and/or reduction in noise?
For me it was a combination of things. Initially, after getting my Exomax, the serving just wasn't lasting. I ordered more thinking strings just don't last long. However, Boo turned me on to reserving the string. By this time I had several dacron strings. I just needed to reserve them and keep shooting.

Boo was interested in finding out how many shots one of his signature servings would last on my Exomax. He sent one to me and I started shooting. His lasted on average three to four times longer than the factory served string. His also lasted longer than the ones I reserved myself.

Doing the testing for Boo got me interested in the different string materials. Some were faster, but, came with a lot of vibes. The Xcel string was fast and it didn't have as much vibration as the FFF. Then we got into thickness issues . . .thinner was faster, but, too thin lost accuracy because it doesn't seat well against the nock.

Boo gave me some strings to complete his testing and I tore up a lot of targets. :lol: I learned a lot and have since forgot a lot. Boo remembers it all. He has a infinite retention system for all details . . .in other words, he is a freak of nature . . .I mean that in a good way. :)

By the way . . .for those that do not know . . .that's Boo in the pictures on the right side of the picture, to my left. I'm the guy in the runners shirts. No I don't run . . .my wife does all the running and at races they never have any small T-shirts . . . so I end up with them. 8)

As far as keeping strings ready for the season . . .I think it's foolish not to have a spare or two. I have never needed it, but, there are thousands of ways to damage a string while hunting. It only takes one of those things to ruin a hunt. I don't get many days to spend in the woods, so, I don't want to miss a day because of a lost string.

The string is last thing touching your arrow before it's launched. I want to have confidence in my string. I don't want to run to the local bow shop and buy a string off the self to continue a hunt. I know I'd be worried about it stretching while I have my bow cocked in the stand. I'd be asking myself . . .will it be on target or high? Did it stretch too much? These thoughts will make you miss.

For target practicing . . .I use the dacron strings. They shoot softly and are more elastic. Not nearly as fast, but, for practicing your shooting technique, they are better than using the FFF or the Xcel or 452plus . . .and if you dryfire dacron, it's more forgiving.

I do find the FFF, 452+, and Xcel to be more accurate and faster. I use the Xcel for hunting . . .not sure if Boo is making those anymore, but, I really like it. I want my hunting speeds as fast as possible for trajectory reasons and I want the most accurate string.

I just started shooting my hunting set-up in order to prepare for the coming season. 8)

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I'm the proud owner of 3 Boo strings and I thought that was a lot! :lol:

Can't beat 'em!

Boo's wonderful - he requests feedback and works to come up with the best string for each individual. I don't think there's anyone else like him out there and I am very grateful for the incredible job he does!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
mikej

Post by mikej »

one factory fast flight with wiskers . my next string will be a boo
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

one boo,2 fff
TPM

Post by TPM »

I've got two Boo strings and the original factory string. Sadly, one of my Boo strings suffered some damage at the last 3D shoot (no fault of the string) so I'm back to my factory string as a back-up.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

1-Boo string with the works and a Factory string for back-up. I guess i better get going on my collection :lol:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]