moose hunting.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

killshot

moose hunting.

Post by killshot »

My wife surprised me with an early birthday present last week. My birthday is Oct 07. She has been working with my Dad to get me into dad's moose hunting group. I had no idea. I am now going moose hunting with my father and his gang in northern Quebec during the week on Sept 13. I can't wait. I guess I am going to have to make a trip to Basspro this week before the sale ends.

I am pretty comfortable with my setup but thought I would ask you guys and gals for a second opinion. I have a 2008 Vortex with Varizone , carbon bolts and 150 grain boltcutters. It's the right stuff package. I am a little worried about not getting a pass through. Should I be?

It is a 9 hour drive from my house and I don't have a hard case for my bow, I just have the soft zip up case from Excal. The one that folds up into a cushion. Do Excalibur bows fit in the Plano hard crossbow case?

I like the idea that BOB1961 has where he breaks the bow down and puts it into a vertical bow case. I just wanted to keep it all together if I could.

Never saw this one coming.

I love my wife.
2008 Vortex 200
Vari-zone Scope
150 Grain Boltcutters
NGSS
mikej

Post by mikej »

good luck on the hunt. excals won't fit in the hard case, they will fit in a double gun case if you take the riser and rail apart. as for the carbons for moose i'm not sure i use 2219's
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Congratulations and Good luck on your hunting trip. make sure you take pictures and post some :) When you have a Good Wife{Life Partner} Life is Good :D
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

You are a very lucky man! Not the part of getting to go moose hunting, but, the good wife part! I hope her birthday is a ways off . . .gonna take some planning to top her present. :D

I like your current set-up.

Breaking down the bow for travel is OK. I've done that a few times. Everytime I've put it back together, it's been dead on bulleye. Every time. 8)

Good luck . . .post pics!

Happy Birthday. :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Boo

Post by Boo »

I haven't hunted moose with a bow before but I've shot a few with a rifle and there is a whole whack of muscle and bones to go through so yes I think you should be worried. I would use a heavy arrow for sure. A PM to Peter may get you pointed in the right direction for answers unless someone here has done it. Anyone who has successfully hunted Elk would be a good resource as well.
Happy Birthday, I think your wife loves you!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Peach

Post by Peach »

I think your setup is fine. You're NOT going to be trying to go through a shoulder or anything, so you will get good penetration. Buddy of mine has shot a few with the same setup without any problems at all. Just remember to aim for lungs not shoulder - you have a huge target so should not be a problem.

Break the bow up and put it in a hard rifle case, get to camp, put it together (which should take no more than 3 minutes) and fire a shot, should be dead on.

You're gonna be right at the start of the rut so practise calling with your hands, don't rely on the buck expert moose call for $40. Pinch your nose and do it yourself. If you have ON Demand, you can go to wild tv on demand and the archers choice has a good moose show and so does Shockey.

My opinion is to get yourself a black fleece sweater to wear while bowhunting....if you're gonna sound like a moose, might as well look like one.
2008 Equinox - STS - Boo String
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

Congrats on the awesome birthday gift from your wife. Your setup looks good, the only thing I do differently is I shoot a heavier bolt. I use the Easton Powerbolts with Slick Tricks. Use the setup that you are most comfortable with and shoot most accurately. Arrow placement is the key on a moose. Stay away from the shoulder.
I would suggest you prepare for black flies and mosquitos. Get a bug jacket or headnet and a therma cell. That early in September will most likely be warm, so bring clothes that you can layer.
Practice alot on your moose calls with your hands or you can use a fiberglass horn. I use the one made by the late Owen Scott, but these are no longer available.
A 9 hour drive isn't to bad, we go twice as far.

Hope this helps and good luck.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
killshot

Post by killshot »

sumner4991 wrote:You are a very lucky man! Not the part of getting to go moose hunting, but, the good wife part! I hope her birthday is a ways off . . .gonna take some planning to top her present. :D

I like your current set-up.

Breaking down the bow for travel is OK. I've done that a few times. Everytime I've put it back together, it's been dead on bulleye. Every time. 8)

Good luck . . .post pics!

Happy Birthday. :)
Thanks Sumner. I feel very lucky.

I got alot of time to plan to do.
2008 Vortex 200
Vari-zone Scope
150 Grain Boltcutters
NGSS
killshot

Post by killshot »

I have been shooting steady all summer getting ready for deer season but it is time to step it up a little. I have a thurma cell and plan on getting a bug net. I am also going to do a search on moose vitals in the internet. I like the black fleece sweater idea. Never thought of that.
2008 Vortex 200
Vari-zone Scope
150 Grain Boltcutters
NGSS
mikej

Post by mikej »

if you can get your hands on a dried shoulder blade they work great for raking the brush . i use a shoulder blade from a deer
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

mikej wrote:if you can get your hands on a dried shoulder blade they work great for raking the brush . i use a shoulder blade from a deer
A canoe paddle will work too.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
dutchhunter

WAY TO GO

Post by dutchhunter »

YOUR SET UP IS JUST FINE staybehi9nd the shoulder and you should get a pas thru .my buddy shot a nice bull two years ago with his xcaland got a pass thru and a dead moose in under 30 yards .the 150g heads are a good choice .good luck take your time as you will normaly only get one shot so make it count DUTCH ps have a great trip with your dad and his buddys DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i don't think you will have any trouble with your set-up on moose. awshucks shot a buffalo last year with his Y25 and GT II's about 430 gr and slick 100 gr kill it dead!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315