Trail Cam... who is using what, how do you like it?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dlzinck

Trail Cam... who is using what, how do you like it?

Post by dlzinck »

I'm looking into getting a trail cam... boy is it confusing. This has probably been covered before, but I did a search and can't find it...

Anyway, if you are using a trail cam...

1. which one are you using
2. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the best) how do you like it
3. how much did it cost

It would be really nice if you have more than one to rate them all...

Thanks
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Im a big cuddeback fan so I have several of the cuddeback captures. I love those cameras! I have one capture IR which I hate since the IR mode isnt good at all!

you can search for capture on here for alot of my recent pictures...Its a flash camera so the night time images are crisp and clear! But some dont like flash since they claim it spooks deer. Maybe it does, maybe it doesnt. I have quite a few repeat mature bucks on camera not bothered by it.

My newest camera I got 2months ago is the Bushnell trophy cam. Its the size of a 4x6 card! Runs on AA batteries and battery life is very good so far. Im getting about 4months from my captures and I expect about 5 out of the trophy cam.

The trophy cam has IR mode and it also allows you to take 2-3shots 3 seconds apart. This is handy for bachelor groups. It also has video mode which i have yet to use. But be warned the sensor is very good. By that I mean it will give you some blank pictures since the deer has yet to enter the camera field of view. This is why most set it on 2 or 3 shot mode.

Both of the above are 199.99 so price isnt a factor

The capture hands down is the easiest to use.. just put it out and turn it on to your choice of delay from 30secs up to 30mins. But thats all of features it has. However, you always get a deer or something in the picture. I have yet to get one blank picture with these cameras. Out of 7, none have had any issues. Other than a slight purplish picture from time to time due to shaded areas or weird light conditions.

The trophy cam has ALOT of features for the cash and its SMALL!! Ideal for places someone could have sticky hands. Pictures are pretty good. They are slightly dark for my likes, but they still have one heck of an image. I have 3 times better results in the woods then I do on fields with this camera. The capture works better on field edges for me.

I have some recent trophy cam pics posted a few days ago in here.. take a look. Its 2 capture pics in that post also.

The capture has an 1 year warranty while the trophy cam has a 2 year warranty

if you have any questions, feel free to ask...
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

I used the Cuddeback Experts. They seem to have stopped making them though... Makes me upset, but what to do? I love them! I have used other camera with not near the results. I love my Cudde's. My hunting partner is using the cheaper model capture that Crazy also uses. I hear great things about this cameras. The capture seems to have a good trigger speed, so I will reccomend the capture based on it's trigger speed, price, it is very simple to use, and it's made by what I consider to be the premium name in trail camera's.
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

These are I SPY 40 by Moultrie 199.00 BASS PRO one pic is day the other is nite

These are the Moultrie D40 99.99 Bass Pro one day pic one nite I like moultrie cameras ,I think you can see why. Wes

"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
mikej

Post by mikej »

i use a spy point 4 mp ir camera 199$ i would give it a 10 based on price and ease of use and picture quality. flash cameras give you a better night picture but will spook deer that's why i went with ir
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

FredBear wrote:I used the Cuddeback Experts. They seem to have stopped making them though... Makes me upset, but what to do? I love them! I have used other camera with not near the results. I love my Cudde's. My hunting partner is using the cheaper model capture that Crazy also uses. I hear great things about this cameras. The capture seems to have a good trigger speed, so I will reccomend the capture based on it's trigger speed, price, it is very simple to use, and it's made by what I consider to be the premium name in trail camera's.
Expert and No flash are still solid cameras that have actaully come down in price! You cant go wrong with any cuddeback.. well just dont get the capture IR

I hear good and bad about the Moultrie lineup.. either you love them or you take them back in 2 days. Those that got good ones love them

Reconyx is a great camera also.. but 500-600bucks a pop!
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Same with the cuddys good and bad, depends on who you talk to, and you can buy a bad cuddy just like any other camera ,thats why I went to Moultrie

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

If I were buying my very first trail camera dlzinck, it would without a doubt be the Cuddeback Capture. For your first one you want simplicity and you want success. The Capture offers both at a nice price. The Cuddeback tips the scales for its trigger speeds and ease of use.

We have many high end Cudde's and they have served us well over the years. We are now doing extensive testing on the Trophy Cam and so far we are most impressed, specifically with the IR aspect and battery life.

Regardless of what you buy I know you will enjoy using the camera. They just add so much to the entire deer hunting experience.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

ill post a few snaps of each

Capture daytime

Capture flash at night

Trophy cam Daytime

Trophy Cam IR at night

no matter what a flash camera will give better pics at night. But the IR is stealthy:)

Even with the trophy cam giving you a 5mp option, the 3mp on the capture seems to take far better images. They are very crisp and lifelike
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Here are a couple of my favorites captured with a Cuddeback. They just seem to capture the October woods. I thought they captured the scene and color really good. Also realizing they are jpeg files rather than bitmapped makes one realize how good they are.

Keep smiling!
Dennis
lscha

Post by lscha »

Wow! That color is amazing, B-Logger.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

bugs wrote:Thanks for this topic, one I planned to ask was a good camera that wasnt too expensive. I see so many I had no clue what is worth purchasing.
go to a place that has them on display and open them up... sometimes the cheaper ones can be a PITA since they have 45 different modes of operation. You want something you can turn on and take good pics with. You dont want to walk away wondering if I set the camera right

but trail cams have come a long ways in the past 2 years! Wildgame innovations makes one for 99bucks thats IR and I hear good reviews on!

but im sticking with the trophycam or cuddebacks.. cant beat cuddebacks service
farmer54

Post by farmer54 »

I am using 3 Spy-Point 5 mp and 1 of 7 mp cameras. We have been using them since Jan/09. Never had a problem with them. Got them hooked up to solar panels and rechargeable batteries. They work great in the cold. Put 2 of them out in January and they took great pictures. I was even able to do upgrades to the camereas using their website. I would give them a 9 out of 10. We got pictures of does fawns bucks racoons and the odd skunk passing thru.
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

lscha wrote:Wow! That color is amazing, B-Logger.
Thanks Laura. Did you or anyone else notice there are actually two deer in that first picture? That second one is difficult to find though.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

Im getting the came cam bug. I have a old 6 volt Moultrie and 2 home brews. the cameras to loud with them. These new cameras are nice i cant believe the battery life. How long do you realy get.