String Tracker Settup

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Gray Fox

String Tracker Settup

Post by Gray Fox »

I'm going to be hunting from the ground in GA beginning Sept 12, and all the leaves will still be present. Terrain I'll be hunting will be dense with 25 yards the longest shot. I want to use a string tracker, but am wondering how best to attach it to my Phoenix. I'll be using a high FOC arrow in the 475 to 500 grain range. Any ideas will be appreciated.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ht=tracker

I suppose you didn't get it set up last year? Did you get to hunt the property? Same land this year? I got a permit to hunt the Corp of Engineers property in Cobb County. You still hunting in GA?

Try this . . . .

It's my answer to no tracking required.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I have to agree with sumner . Use that broadhead and the blood trail is easy to follow . I am not a big fan of string trackers , to many thing can go wrong while using one .
Gray Fox

String Tracker

Post by Gray Fox »

Sumner: Yes, I'm still hunting in GA, mostly on the southside. No, I didn't get to hunt that property last year, but I'm hoping for a couple new spots this year. I understand that you're not in favor of string trackers, but did have succes at Ft. Campbel, KY in similar terrain with a vertical bow so equipped.

My question, to anyone who might use one, is how do you attach the apparatus to the crossbow itself?

I hunted the Corps property up at Red Top Mountain two years in a row, but there was just too much residential traffic to make it work. This year, the Corps property I hunted is closed, but there is a Corps piece on the other side of the lake. I had looked at it before, however, and it is adjacent to private hunting clubs and looks real rough, so I didn't bother to apply for the Corps permit. I was unaware, however, of the property you mentioned.
sumner4991

Re: String Tracker

Post by sumner4991 »

Gray Fox wrote:. I was unaware, however, of the property you mentioned.
I'm not against the stringer . . .I just think it wouldn't work. If it's worked for you before, then if someone can come up with a mount, then go for it! You should probably contact groundpounder and see if he can make you a mount.

The corp property . . .having a meeting 8/25 to pick up permits won in the lottery system. However, they usually have a few permits that are not claimed. I've know people to successfully obtain the permits by going to the meeting and asking for one of the leftovers afterwards. If you are interested, then let me know and I'll give you the information you will need.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Mounting shouldn't be a problem, what quiver brkt do you use? Do you have a link to the tracker?

I too don't care for the idea. I have had no problem w/ blood trails a blind man could follow w/ my slick Tricks, so tell Sumner to stuff that helicopter rotor he's hunting w/. lol.
"Eze 18:21"
Gray Fox

string Tracker

Post by Gray Fox »

Sumner:

Yes, I would like the info on the Aug 25th meeting. Thank you for offering. GF
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

http://prca.cobbcountyga.gov/HuntingInformation.htm

Here is the website. The last mandatory meeting is on 9/02/2009 at 900 Shaw Park Rd, Marietta, GA at 7 pm.

There are normally a few permits that are not claimed at the end of the meetings. I have known guys to get a permit after missing the lottery by attending the meeting and asking John Purcell afterwards.

You must attend one of the meetings. It would be best to attend the last one because they will know then if there are leftovers.

You can always call John Purcell at 770-528-8825 and see what he says. However, I would just attend the meeting as see what happens.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Gray Fox

String Tracker

Post by Gray Fox »

Sumner:

Thanks a lot for the info and the advice about the last meeting. I will plan on attending that one and see if I have any luck. If not, I will know what to do next year. BTW, where to you buy your broadheads, and what is this year's model that you like? GF
sumner4991

Re: String Tracker

Post by sumner4991 »

Gray Fox wrote:Sumner:

Thanks a lot for the info and the advice about the last meeting. I will plan on attending that one and see if I have any luck. If not, I will know what to do next year. BTW, where to you buy your broadheads, and what is this year's model that you like? GF
http://www.trophyridge.com/broadheads/

For deer hunting, I swear by the Trophy Ridge Rocket Stricknine(website link above). It's a big cut, 3 blade . . the one I pictured above. Takes a slightly heaiver set-up to get a complete pass through(I'm shooting somewhere around a 410 gr arrow in the Exomax). The results are incredible. I really think they have some knock-down power. Here is a picture of a six pointer I shot in the gut with the Rocket Hammerhead(basically, a 100 gr Stricknine), it went about 20 yards.

He was walking when I shot . . .not enough of a lead. I was shooting off a creek bank, it looks like the arrow barely penetrated, but, it actually went almost all the way through. Worked itself out when the buck hit the water. If you buy some, make sure you get the new models. The new ones have a gold tint to them and are in the Trophy Ridge packaging. They have an improved ferrule and are much better.

Let me know how it goes at the meeting. Right now I'm planning on going to the one next week with a hunting buddy. However, the Shaw Park meeting is closer for me. If I decide to switch meetings, then I'll let you know and we can meet up.

**Just noticed I didn't answer your question about where to buy. I got the last ones directly from Trophy Ridge because of the ferrule issue. I checked Dick's Sporting Goods and they were sold out. They had one pack of last year's Hammerheads for $14, but, I passed. I want the new ones. I'm headed to Virginia tomorrow . . .hopefully, I can stop at Bass Pro and see if they have some. Otherwise, I may take a trip to Jasper to the Red Barn.
Last edited by sumner4991 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Reading this post and seeing Sumners suggestion of me got me thinking about it a little. I know I have read where many have had troubles with string trackers in the past. But if you still want to try it we could probably come up with a mount. If I recall on verticals they just screw into the stabilizer mount. Is that the same style you are using. And as for where to mount it? I would think if it were below the xbow it would interfere with the foot stirrup. So maybe over the top like on one of my quiver mounts might be a good location. It wouldn't take much to adapt one to work with what you are wanting. Just a thought. Todd
Why ride when you can walk!
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Forgot to mention, glad to see another Georgia boy on here. I shot the deer in my avatar in Fulton county guessing around your neck of the woods being on the south side.
Why ride when you can walk!
Fox

Post by Fox »

I have a couple friends who have them on their excals. The one guy had the string slow down his arrow and he went under a nice doe at 20 yards. Another guy had 2 shots go low on a huge buck, he got it on the 3rd shot with no string and it bled out just fine.
I guess I would lean away from using it as well, most of the guys here with crossbows hunt from the ground and just make sure they hit the right spot with a good broadhead.

Most guys use Wasp boradheads too.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Fox wrote:Most guys use Wasp boradheads too.
Yes, they are a popular broadhead. However, I don't suggest them for your use. The average tracking was 70+ yards, compared to 35 yards for the Stricknine. And, if you take out the spine hit by guys in trees . . .the average track would be much longer.

Check this thread . . .

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... light=data

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Gray Fox

String Tracker

Post by Gray Fox »

Sumner:

Have a safe trip to VA. I lived up in the Sprinfield area when the wife and I were stationed in the Pentagon. If the timing works out it would be nice to chat in person at the Sept. meeting.

Groundpounder:

I guess I had never read your location in your avatar. I'm in Jonesboro, and I'm always looking for "friends of friends" I run into in the area who might have a few acres that is still huntable. My neighbor is a landscaper and once in a while he knows someone in a proper area who has just gotten fed up with replacing everything they plant. Haven't gotten any leads yet this year, but it's early.

I'm beginning to believe that the majority on here may be correct and that I will depend on my hunting and shooting skills to complement a sound mechanical broadhead. My 2219s with Blazers and a 100 grain head run right at 445 grains, and that should complement my Phoenix well. Right now I'm getting 2 inch kneeling groups at 30 yards and 3 at 40, but I doubt I'd ever shoot that far. Getting the shots and follow through down at that range do make closer shots easier, though.

I really enjoy how a question gets lots of reasonable, experienced respones on this forum. Would that some others were as gracious.