Orphaned fawns survival chances?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sopchoppy

Orphaned fawns survival chances?

Post by Sopchoppy »

There's been 2 spotted fawns hanging around my feeder for a couple of days with no sign of mama anywhere. Reckon they can make it?
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

That depends largely on the predators in your area.

If there aren't a lot of wolves, coyotes and bobcats around like there are here, I'd say they have a very good chance of surviving.

Even here, where there are loads of predators, I've seen orphaned fawns survive. I've even killed a few to eat myself once hunting season came in.
Grizz
animal

Post by animal »

Grizz now thats just funny :lol:
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF ALL INVENTION

EXOCET 200
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Just because you see fawns alone does not mean they have been abandoned. It is very common for the fawns to be leaving mama or even for twin fawns to be apart.

For example, last year we had a doe drop one fawn right in our yard, less than 10 yards from the spam window! She dropped the other fawn about 40 yards away. We watched that doe and her fawns all summer and within a month from birth it was not unusual to see the fawns but not mama and also the other way around. One day the fawns were in the yard for over a half hour before mama showed up.

This year I watched another doe with twin fawns. One day as I went back on the atv I spotted them. When I came out, the doe and one fawn was still in the same place but the other fawn I could not find....until I got about 100 yards further and then I found it. The fawn eventually made it back to mama.

During early October we always hear fawns bleating, trying to find mama. They will find her or she will find them.

Several years ago a doe got hit by a car and she had a broken hind leg. She did not live long and the fawns were awfully small. This was in early June. By fall, the fawns were still around but were smaller than others and not too smart. But they lived.
Keep smiling!
Dennis