Hello..new Excalibur owner

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dhaygood

Hello..new Excalibur owner

Post by Dhaygood »

Just wanted to say hello, bought my first crossbow today, its a used Exomag and can't wait to try it out. I hope its a good one, but I have heard nothing but good things about Excalibur so I expect it will be.

I have a some questions...were can I get an extra string the manual says I need a #1989 Fast Flight Flemish string?
The one on it is in good shape but I would like to have an extra one on hand.

It came with both aluminum bolts and carbon bolts which is better? Also does it make a difference to use feathers or will vanes be alright?

The manual doesn't say what poundage it is...how can I tell? It does say that it has "Magtip" limb tip reinforcement.

What type and weight broadheads do ya'll recomend?

Any other advice ya'll have would be apperciated.

I am new to crossbow hunting but I am looking foward to it in a few weeks when season starts on Sept. 12th.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Welcome to the forum Dhaygood! You will love your excalibur! I will leave the answering of your questions to some of the more experienced here.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

WELCOME TO THE FORUM! :D :D
Grizz
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome to the Forum :) I shoot the Exomax and i prefer 2216 Easton Aluminum shafts with 4 inch vanes {Cheap cost and fly well} I top it off with 125 Grain Wasp Hammer-SSI 3 blade, Fixed blade broadheads. this weighs in at 444 Grains. This is my preferance. There are so many different set ups, but if it shoots well, and flys well none are wrong :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

WELCOME!!!!!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

dhaygood. Do you have a exomag or a exomax? they have different limbs depending on what model you have. I dont think you should use fff on a carved tip limb, if thats what you have. You said that it has magtips. That leads me to believe that its the newer limbs and the fff is ok.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Welcome to the forum! Yet again glad to see another Georgia boy on here. Where abouts are you and where do you like to hunt? I'm in Lawrenceville.
Why ride when you can walk!
lscha

Post by lscha »

WELCOME Dhaygood! Image
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
wabi

Post by wabi »

Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i believe the mag is a 200 lb model the newer max is 225 lb. welcome to the forum, great CB you got. Dan Miller has factory strings good price. you can use any of them with magtip limbs. arrow are a what you like vs. what someone else likes. same with BH's, you maynot like the type i use. yes get at least one extra string 2 is better. thats a good model has good speed n power.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
killshot

Post by killshot »

Welcome aboard.
2008 Vortex 200
Vari-zone Scope
150 Grain Boltcutters
NGSS
Dhaygood

Post by Dhaygood »

groundpounder wrote:Welcome to the forum! Yet again glad to see another Georgia boy on here. Where abouts are you and where do you like to hunt? I'm in Lawrenceville.
I live in Bonaire, just south of Warner Robins. I hunt Bleckely and Taylor counties mostly.
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Bluefish024

Post by Bluefish024 »

Welcome to the brotherhood and sisterhood of the Horizontal Bow..lol Make sure to wax the heck outta your string anduse some kind of rail lube..
Phoenix for Mrs/ Exocet 200 for me
Vari-zone / CompM3 Aimpoint
Boo strings
STS systems
New and improved,,,,kiss of death bolts...
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Dhaygood asks- Any other advice ya'll have would be apperciated.

Use a WORKING rope cocker and learn to cock it using that. Develope a routine for cocking and loading the bow that ensures safety and consistancy. Just prior to shooting it, say to yourself- THUMB. Keep that thumb below the flight rail or the string will hurt you. Follow through is important, try to hold on target until the arrow strikes. Practice at being consistant. Do the same thing everytime, and soon you will be splitting arrows with arrows.

Research old posts for key information. Most everything that will benefit you has already been discussed. Some key items of interest- understanding brace height and how it affects performance, string composition and maintenance, scopes, different arrow weights and FOC, and then finally broadheads.

Practice alot and good luck with your bow.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex