scents and trail cameras

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

butch

scents and trail cameras

Post by butch »

Not sure if this has been tried before on this forum. A few buddies that have trail cameras set up in the area and I are going to each place ONE Brand of attractant out in front of our respective trail cameras and see what will actually bring them in. I'm trying the doe urine buck bomb. One remote camera is going to have ammonia in front of it (old guy swears buy it). Im hoping the cameras will give us the ground truth about all the products out there. I have never really had any luck with the scents that I have bought and I'm tired of pissing away my money (no pun intended), Would appreciate any tips or ideas on this little research project. Thank you in advance.
Exocet w/ FFF string/ Aimpoint
18" Gold Tip Laser II's
and 125 grain Montec G5's
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

No tips, just waiting Patiently for the Results.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
lscha

Post by lscha »

Thie isn't a tip but I saw someone dissolve "C'mere Deer" in water and spray surrounding vegetation and bushes around theirs. I don't know if this would work.

I'd say I would try it but it is probably illegal in Michigan and of course I wouldn't do anything illegal. :wink:
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Keep in mind, using scents need to be done at the proper time of year. Have you tried Code Blue ?

we will be at Al's Corner Store September 11th - 13th if you want to talk about scents...
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

as said, you will have to use these scents at the right time. Putting them out now might bring in some curious deer, but its going to scare most.

numerous guys have tried the cmere stuff here and it hasnt ever worked. They basically wasted 20bucks lol
butch

Post by butch »

I understand about the seasons. We are not going to use any deer based attractants until deer season opens. In the past we have already found out that c'mere deer didn't have any results for us, either does blue or brown mineral/salt licks. What they do like out my way is the flavored licks from TSC. The little apple flavored blocks (I think they are called sweet licks). The camera had pictures of deer(does/fawns) licking at it last Dec.
Exocet w/ FFF string/ Aimpoint
18" Gold Tip Laser II's
and 125 grain Montec G5's
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Butch: Does your hunting area have apples? I've stopped trying to use food type scents in areas that don't produce the scent naturally. While I've heard of deer living around apple orchards coming right in and sticking their noses right on the burning apple scent sticks, I've seen them spooked by that scent in other areas.

Adrian: Are you with Code Blue? I'll be at Al's on that Friday night. See you there!

For all you other Eastern Ontario guys: Al's Corner Store, (old hwy 17 at Galleta Side road, between the old Antrim Truck Stop and Arnprior), is a great little hunting shop and Excalibur Dealer. They're having a big sale 11-13 September. They will also have a range set up out back to let people try out Excalibur crossbows. No affiliations - just a happy customer.
taxman

Post by taxman »

corn!!