Strategy advice... where would you hunt?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dlzinck

Strategy advice... where would you hunt?

Post by dlzinck »

OK. I've included an areial photograph and a topo map of where I plan on hunting. Both maps are positioned with north up. Prevailing winds are out of the west south west. I have taken a stab at where I would start to scout/hunt (I haven't scouted the property yet). The red numbers (can't see them real well) represent where I think good morning locations would be. Blue numbers are evening. All the crops in the area are corn!!!

Where would you go?

crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

im not looking at the topo since its mostly open fields

But based on that map, I have 2 key spots.. You want to hunt the fields if you have never hunted there to see where the deer come out though

but based on what I see, I'd actaully put a stand about 100 yards to the right of your #2 in that block of woods. Deer will skirt that woods instead of hitting the field.

im not sure what tree's are between the red dot and the #4? It looks like a ditch line there.. im hoping its trees in it? But i'd hang a stand there closer to the #4 so you can watch all those fields and gun hunt that!

another possible would be south of that number 2 in the bottom most right corner of that field.

I'd also actaully try to hunt that block to the left of the #3.. go across that field to the left and hang something there, but have it facing the woods so you are hunting deer before they hit the fields

but bottom line, hunt the fields and look first before going in the woods.. hang 5-6 stands if possible and then hunt the field and see which stand would work best
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

you can watch fiedls from any of your roads with bino's to see what comes out just before dark and early morning before the sun hits it too much. that funnel of woods the y is almost down and right sided. put a stand above that y. every buck that runs up and down the creek/ditch will pass thru there coming or going. 40/50 yds inside of any corner of woods always is good. you will find their trails fairly easy
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I think you got some time before the season comes in, make yourself chigger and tick proof, and walk around the edge of the fields and see the trails the deer are using, I've found most are near a corner of the field. Follow the well used in the woods a ways and look for a ambush pt 20 to 30yards in the woods before the field, sometimes the bigger bucks mill around in these areas before going into the fields, most of the time right before dark, if your in there you got a chance of getting him, just what I do hope it helps

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Michihunter

Post by Michihunter »

I agree with Crazy on the #2 move right to the narrow spot in the woods. I would also move #4 straight east 40 yds inside the woods right at the inside corner of that small jog in the woods. Thats a pinch point for bucks traveling north and south through that woods smelling for does that were feeding the corn all night. Also I see some potential in the intersection of fence rows at the south border of the property. They will get used by rutting bucks and pushed bucks. You may want to consider how you will enter and leave these areas undetected as well. Watch crossing and feeding fields during early morning as you will alert the deer in them.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Michihunter wrote:I agree with Crazy on the #2 move right to the narrow spot in the woods. I would also move #4 straight east 40 yds inside the woods right at the inside corner of that small jog in the woods. Thats a pinch point for bucks traveling north and south through that woods smelling for does that were feeding the corn all night. Also I see some potential in the intersection of fence rows at the south border of the property. They will get used by rutting bucks and pushed bucks. You may want to consider how you will enter and leave these areas undetected as well. Watch crossing and feeding fields during early morning as you will alert the deer in them.
also, when the rut starts forget about patterns LOL.. the bucks could pop out anywhere 8) :lol:

you want to key in on any pinch points and funnels as said.. good trails are nice, but focus on funnels that DEER MUST use to get to point A to B..
Boo

Post by Boo »

Where is the closest water? Is there any heavy coniferous forests? A larger scale map may show influencing bedding areas like a thick cedar swamp. I think you are assuming they are bedding here.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
dlzinck

Post by dlzinck »

As always the help on this site is amazing, and all your ideas are good. Thank you

I love the move of the number two point east to a better pinch point and I see the potential of the southern fence row intersection as well. I am hoping there is water in the stream that is indicated on the topo map and plan on walking that to see if there are any trails into or out of the water.

Since no one lives on the farm, most of the forests appear thick, but as I said I haven't walked them yet.

Glassing the fields from a high point was on my plans, but just got permission to hunt this farm so.... no time yet. I will walk this property, carefully, this weekend and if your interested, let you know what I find.

I assume I'm also to look for acorns (oaks) and big old apple trees :D since most of these old farms around here have some of those planted at some point.

Just as a point of reference, this is in south western Pennsylvania and I can hunt this as soon as Sept 19th (antlerless bow only) and Oct. 3rd Antlerless and Antlered bow only. If I go in there a few days for antlerless will I screw up my chances at a good buck??
Michihunter

Post by Michihunter »

Here in Michigan our small game season starts on Sept 15 and bow opens Oct 1. So our deer have been exposed to gun shots, dogs, people, for several weeks before bow hunters get at chance to hunt them so I personally don't worry much about bumping bucks. When the rut starts in late October is when I get serious anyway and everything changes then. The bucks you see in your fields right now may be several miles away by the time the rut heats up and bucks you have never seen will start to show up. I like glassing for bucks early because its fun but I don't put a lot of value on it as a rut hunting tool. Just don't get stuck in any patterns at ANY time as the bucks will pattern you much faster than you will them. Get in, take a doe or two and get out with as little disturbance as possible. Killing and leaving blood and gut piles is much different than scouting a woods. In my opinion does are relatively easy to take at fringe food sources anyway so hunt those and try to avoid the buck sanctuaries. Food sources are good to locate early (Sept, Oct.) and very late (December) but come late October through mid Nov.....like Crazy said funnels, funnels, and funnels are where I want to be.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

smokepolehall wrote: put a stand above that y. every buck that runs up and down the creek/ditch will pass thru there coming or going.
I agree. The topo shows a nice nice creek bed through the middle. Big bucks like a good out of view travel route. Its hard to tell how much room you have without a scale but it looks like plenty.

Based on the prevailing winds, the travel corridor (creek bed) and the number of intersecting corners, I would be up a tree just Northeast (above and right) of the Y shaped field in the lower left. At that location you could have a deer approach from three different directions and your scent would not directly carry in any of those directions.

Good luck.

DuckHunt
dlzinck

Post by dlzinck »

Is this where you're thinking DuckHunt. Does X mark the spot?

vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

above the red x as you want that other funnel of woods they travel also
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

smokepolehall wrote:above the red x as you want that other funnel of woods they travel also
What he said.
dlzinck

Post by dlzinck »

Got it. Thanks.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I would set up on the #4 spot as you can take advantage of the narrow between the two fields, Deer aren't that much different than us they will take the easy route if they can.
But don't forget about Murphy's law.
Tenpoint Matrix