Can you smell it?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

saxman

Can you smell it?

Post by saxman »

Even as I sweat in the woods getting ready,every once in a while I can smell it, Autum in the air.Just little hints that wake my spirit and quicken my step and make me feel alive again.I pity the ones who cant feel the quickening as it has been obvious to me sinse I was a small boy going along on the hunt with my Father and Uncles.
And it begins again.
Thank you lord for your seasons and your bounty.
Sorry,I just smelled it again.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I smelled it too. Last weekend as I picked apples, peaches and plums. Smells good. 8)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Yes, indeed. 8)

Summer's round the bend, and fall's comin' on!

Our favorite time of year! :D
Grizz
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Leaves are starting to turn on some of the maples here - I love love love this time of year!!!!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

yep, I really like it when it's followed up by the smell of a stinky old buck in the area.
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Definitely Fall is in the air and I've been feeling it for a while. Katydids are finally singing at night; air has cooled again; crops ripening (except peaches are slow ripening for some odd reason); color coming on (mostly in soft maples) late summer flowers in full blossom; days getting shorter, etc., etc.

I love this part of the year, but Fall is number one with October being the best.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Rich

Post by Rich »

Suppose to hit 94 here in VA today, ain't feeling it just yet. The nights have cooled off just a bit though.

Rich
Normous

Post by Normous »

You bet. We leave tonight for 6 days of tent camping on a beautiful beach site at Lake Superior Provincial Park in Northern Ontario. The sunsets are awesome there in that remote region.

This is a time where I will reflect and fantasize about this seasons deer hunt while sipping my favorite beverage around the mystical campfire.

Yes, I can feel it.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
wabi

Post by wabi »

Warm here today (93º F right now), but it's been cool at night and is bearable. I've been getting things ready for hunting season (stands & blinds checked, shooting lanes trimmed, feeder set & filled) but so far I'm not getting too excited about it.
Perhaps next week when squirrel season opens I'll get the feeling that it's time to start harvesting the winter's supply of meat.

I did go fishing a couple evenings this week, and the feeling fall isn't far away was with me. The fish were feeding at dusk, but they weren't hitting with the viciousness they show in spring & summer, they were just sucking in the fly like they were wanting to eat all they could without wasting energy getting the meal.
wabi
mikej

Post by mikej »

fall is definitely on the way , its my favorite time of year too i can't wait. come on oct 1st :lol:
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
killshot

Post by killshot »

I could smell it the past few morning as I am leaving for work. Can't wait for Sept 12 opening day for moose.
2008 Vortex 200
Vari-zone Scope
150 Grain Boltcutters
NGSS
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

yep the chill is in the air--- yes I feel it as well. my velvet is starting to fall off my Rack..Im anxious and as I drive to and fro my eyes keep cutting off the road to the woods to the edges. I hope for a glance. I gander every chance I get, I day dream of spots to hit early. Ive checked my stands, I have my maggie ready.I love the early season hunt when the woods is virgin and untouched, when sneeking up on a buck may cause me to piss my pants as I bust him from cover. I re-think my patience. I try to recall past learned lessons of failure which are many. I re-live my victorys and how it happened. I think of where he may be in the shade waiting for the colder air to hit his body. I slow down slow down not so fast. I see him coming to my tree. I plan every move. My mouth waters as I think of draining his blood on the ground. THEN i jerk the dam truck back onto the road..whew I got to stop that..lol.... :shock:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Kenny SRF

Post by Kenny SRF »

Same here...its like a switch goes off at this time of year..

Start craving 'indoor cooked' food vs BBQ..

Start eating more fresh veg from garden..

Dig around the freezer for stew meat of some kind..

Start cleaning rifles/bows...

Sept cant come fast enough for me!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I smelled it this weekend. It smelled like smoke from an old 2-cycle weed eater as it cleared a nice path all the way to my tree stand. :wink:
Arkbow

feelin' it

Post by Arkbow »

I stay ready for deer season all year long but at this time of the year it becomes almost unbareable; my wife of 30 years just rolls her eyes because she knows that there is nothing no one can do about my addiction; come on october...!
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;