Strings Twist or not

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dereck

Strings Twist or not

Post by Dereck »

Picked up a Vortex today off Denbuck noticed the string is not twisted and I was also in a local bow shop the other day and all the bows there were not twisted.
Is this something new I always thought the string should be twisted so it wears better.
With the string not twisted the brace height is at the farthest line from the riser.

Any help would be appreciated

Dereck
Tenpoint Matrix
Boo

Post by Boo »

They have to elongate or creep or get longer. It will take time but it will happen. Leave it on your bow over night before shooting. Make sure you have a few twists in it before you do shoot. If you wax the string and give it a serious rub and get the string warm it will happen faster. Use your hand, if it is too hot for your hand it is too hot for the string.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Thanks Boo I will work on that tonight and let you know how it works will be in touch about a string when you start back up in the fall.
Tenpoint Matrix
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Is there something different about crossbow "endless" strings that suggests they should be twisted? Flemish of course must be but an endless string on a longbow or recurve need not be twisted except a bit to shorten the string. Both my regular Both Excalibur strings came straight, have been stretched and are still straight because even a little twisting would result in to short a string giving to high a brace height. If my strings should be twisted then my two standard Excalibur strings are way to short. Please explain.

Thanks...
Boo

Post by Boo »

You can see why if you hold a new untwisted string and stretch it with your hands and see how uneven it is. Then twist it and see how much more even it looks. That reason is probably not very important but it makes me feel better that I am probably not stressing a few individual strands. The main reason is to keep tension on the serving twisting the serving tighter rather than apart.
BTW, how many shots do you have on your string that has no twist? Where is your desired brace height?
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Someone told me it helps keep the strands from separating during shooting creating wind noise
Tenpoint Matrix
Boo

Post by Boo »

Dereck wrote:Someone told me it helps keep the strands from separating during shooting creating wind noise
Derek, the last 2 questions were directed at you.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

As Boo stated the endless loop needs to be twisted the proper way to maintain pressure on the serving . Not necessary to worry about that with the flemish on account the serving is put on for the twist .
I know it is obvious but even some people twist the flemish the wrong way . :shock:
I forgot to mention at Excalibur . For the Litestuff packages they are twisting the endless loop strings .
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Boo wrote:...
BTW, how many shots do you have on your string that has no twist? Where is your desired brace height?
Boo,

If I remember correctly there was about a 1/4" difference in length between the string that came with the CB and the one in the Right Stuff package. I put the longer string on first and over the course of a week it was shot perhaps 60 times or so. The shorter string is now on the CB and has maybe 40-50 shots. Both strings started out about 1/2" above the top brace height line, first/longer string (which is now my backup string) settled in about 3/8" below the top line and that point was marked for later reference. The second shorter string is at about 1/4" below the top line. [At work right now so measurements mentioned are approximations from memory.]

So, should I have shot the first string in more? It did seem like it had stopped stretching.

Thanks...
Boo

Post by Boo »

The string is going to move even more with time and shooting. Warm the string up as I described in one of the earlier posts. The correct term is creeping rather than stretching. Stretching is temporary and creep is the permanent elongation of the string.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Unfortunately I purchased the bow used and have no idea how many times it was shot by the look of the serving I would say very little.
Still have to warm it up and see how that works one step at a time.

Have since warmed it up and cocked the bow once and the string has creeped 1/8th of an inch.
Tenpoint Matrix
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Y'all need to remember these factory strings have to fit a few different lengths. I'm not going into the specifics on one model vs another, but they all stretch

Put your new string on, cock the bow and let it set overnight a time or two, shoot and enjoy, then get serious about dialing them in for their world reknown accuracy. A shifting bheight will drive you nuts.

Just 2 cents from the cheap seats.
"Eze 18:21"
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

After about 20 shots string has creeped almost to the middle of the brace height marks will do another 40 shots to see where it ends up.
Tenpoint Matrix