Fawn distress calls

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

saxman

Fawn distress calls

Post by saxman »

Anyone try these in the early season for does?
Never have myself but have seen it on video.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

I have tried it preseaon and it dd bring in does,but they come in very alert,it will also bring coyotes and bears.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

yes Scott..it works for bucks as well infact they will come running in to protect the youngn..

I shot a youngn once and it laid there unable to get up just whalling away. I know sounds bad but I let it just go on and on. It wasnt no time and a nice 8 point buck came runnin in to defend. I smacked him as well had to for the day..

it works..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

It definitely works Scott! I have found it works better earlier than later. But be ready. When I have had them come in, they come in fast and ready to defend a youngun. I've also called in a fox one time with it.
Why ride when you can walk!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

they work, but deer are VERY ALEART... I only had doe come in.. i stopped using it about 10 years ago though.. all it did was alert mature bucks and I never saw the first one using those calls

only alert doe and small bucks might run in.. most head the other way though
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I blew a fan in distress predator call at a doe outside my bedroom window last fall, just to see her reaction. She came charging in right up to the window. She was obviously agitated and ready for battle. There was no fawn with her, to the best of my knowledge she didn't have one that yr.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I have had similar experiences with the fawn in distress call. If I bump a deer I will try to quickly move off to the side a bit and then I hit the call. I have had them stop and I have also had them come running back ready to do battle. They definitely are on high alert when they come back so you need to be quick. I have never used it just sitting out there trying to call in a deer I have not seen. But if I see a doe that is going the other way I figure that I have nothing to lose. It just sounds so wrong when you blow the fawn in distress call.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Yes, Sax!

Fawn-in-distress calls absolutely do work in early season! In fact, they're one of the best ways to bag a doe. It's true they're "on alert" when they come in, but that isn't the problem it might seem to be.

I use them all the time. One of my best tricks. No big event to kill a doe this way, but my first Excal deer was killed using that technique, and I happened to take a picture of that one. Don't always, or even often, take pictures of ordinary deer kills.

Don't laugh ... our deer aren't big! :P :lol: This was an average doe for our area.

Some tips:

This works best when you start with a doe you can already see.

Get the doe's attention with a "hurt-and-scared" routine.

Keep the doe's attention with a "lost and in trouble" routine.

Don't overdo it. You want the doe to think a fawn has been hurt and is lost, in trouble and needs help. If you're "killing" the fawn with your calling, the does will probably do one of two things: charge in all the way (not good), or come close and bolt (not good either).

You want the doe to close most of the distance while you're "hurting" the fawn, and then you want her to come looking for it while it's "lost".

It is absolutely critical that you be hidden from view until the doe is within killing range ... and calling them around a corner of cover or along a line of cover works best.

Don't just blow on the call. Cup it with your hand to create the pitiful-sounding "Waa-aaaa-aaaaaaa" effect. You want to sound like a crying baby.

Also, cupping that call and using the "trumpet bell" of your hands will "throw" that sound ... you don't want it to sound like it's coming from your location, but from some yards away ... keep the doe's attention to the side of you, or out in front of you.

Hope this helps. Don't be afraid to try, and don't let anyone tell you a fawn-in -distress call is always a "woods sweeper" ... they are when they're poorly used or over-used. When they're used right, they are deadly.

Cover-my-butt disclaimer:
Of course, every doe is an individual, as is every hunter ... and your mileage may vary.

I'd get out there and try it, though, buddy!

What do you have to lose? Killing a doe that comes looking for a hurt fawn is an in-your-face, up-close-and-personal adrenalin rush. It's very exciting.

Just do it, Saxman! :D

We'll be waiting for the stories!

Note: Bears like fawns too! :shock:
Grizz
saxman

Post by saxman »

I thought I would try it the first week or so,mostly when I'm calling for a shooter who can be ready.
Thanks for the help everyone.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

"If I bump a deer I will try to quickly move off to the side a bit and then I hit the call."

Never tried that but a snort call does the same thing for me. Just don't do three snors ina row, much like a putt, putt, putt for turkies..GONE.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!