Aimpoints for Excals

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Esox

Aimpoints for Excals

Post by Esox »

Anybody have experience with using an Aimpoint on your x-bow...

I know how good they are on pistols and I'm thinking of putting one on my Vortex, but wanted to know if it will work as advertized....
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I used a red dot for a while bu the single dot was not precise enough for longer shots, trajectory estimation became a by gosh by God kind of thing.
But if your shots are going to be <25 yards or so, will work fine.
Scopes like those by Excal and Hawke have multiple aim point to compensate for arrow drop. If you're definitely thinking red dot, TruGlo makes a reflex sight, with multiple aimpoints, just for crossbows. It's small and very light. Barska also makes a reflex site only several inches/ozs.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Esox

Post by Esox »

Thanks Cossack, That's been my experience with Red Dots too. Since they are a single dot, I think, that's probably going to be the case with the Aimpoint too... I guess, I'll still have to sight it in to some distance, say 25 yds and then estimate the distance to the deer and adjust for anything say over 25 yds... Actually with as flat as our x-bows shoot I'm fairly sure the single dot will still put the arrow in the killzone anywhere between 20-30 yds.... But what I like about the Aimpoint is that I wouldn't have to center the dot in the scope... Just put the dot on the target and squeeze the trigger... I was wondering if anyone has had that experience....
liaf

Post by liaf »

I use a zeiss z point(single red dot) on my vortex and I am happy with the set-up. I shoot firebolts w/ 100 grain heads(total weight around 375 grains) and know my arrow's trajectory. I have it sighted dead on at 30 yards therefore each yard past 30 it drops app. 0.7 inches per yard. At 40 yards it app. 7-7.5 inches low. At 20 yards its app 3-3.25 inches high and at 15 yards its around 3.50-3.75 inches high. I have used the varizone but I had a z-point laying around, decided to try it and just like it better. For shooting off a rest the v-zone is better but when shooting off hand I prefer the red dot since it has no magnification therefore it appears to move less when on target. I am pretty sure z-point and aimpoint are similiar in operation. When I shot my vertical bow I only used one pin and learned hold over and hold under so I guess this is another reason I prefer this way.
Vortex, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point --Phoenix, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point.
wabi

Post by wabi »

No experience with single dot sight, but with a bow shooting around 300fps a 25 yard zero will put shots in the kill zone of any deer within 30 yards with a "center of the kill zone hold". I haven't taken the time to test for the best yardage for sighting in for a maximum range possible (probably could extend that to 32 or 33 yards if I sighted in for 26 or 27 yards without exceeding +3" up close), but I did check the 25 yard zero and it is well within the kill zone to 30 yards.
wabi
BigDogKahuna

Post by BigDogKahuna »

Since Alabama does not allow any scope or sight that magnifies the image I use a Truglo Red Dot 3-dot Xbow 30mm sight.

It has 3 dots rather than one. You sight the 1st dot in at 25 yards. The second and third dots are 35 and 45 yards respectively. Have only practiced at the 25 and 35 yard dots but so far so good. Appears to be pretty accurate so far. Will be testing the 45 yard dot next weekend.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I had a NcStar halo that worked well on my xbows. It had four choices for a reticule, the dot w/ circle was on at 20 [dot] and 30 [bottom of circle].

The 'pro' side was no parallax and real light weight. The cons were couldn't use a Miller quiver mount and leave the quiver on and the set screws to lock w & e adj moved the poi. They were redundant anyhow as the clicks are ball detent and not apt to move on their own.

$49 and good warranty IIRC off of Ebay.
"Eze 18:21"
Esox

Post by Esox »

Yeah, I think setting my Vortex for deadcenter at 25 yds will keep me good for at least 30 yds without raising the dot too much... I hunt some pretty thick stuff and some places 30 yds is the farthest I can shoot....

Liaf, Is that Zeiss Z-point paralax free?... That's something I need to test with the Aimpoint on the x-bow..... I have an Aimpoint on one one of my turkey guns and anytime I've needed to take a less than lined up shot it took the bird as if I was shooting off a bench... I don't know if it can do the same for the X-bow, but that would be pretty neat....

Hopefully someone of the Excal family has experimented with one....
liaf

Post by liaf »

I purchased my z-points off e-bay one new and one used from private individuals and they were advertised as being parallax free. I just went to the Zeiss web site and looked into my instruction booklet and could not confirm it. There is a guy on AT named Moon or Moonkryte (might be on this site too). He is an a retired Zeiss employee and the person who got me interested in the z-point. I am going to Pm him to find out if the z point is parallex free.
liaf

Post by liaf »

Moon just answered my PM and he said the z-point is parallex free.
Esox

Post by Esox »

Did you ever try deliberately aiming with the dot not centered in the scope?.... That's what I want to find out with the Aimpoint.....I'm curious to find out just how far off you have to be before it misses badly...
Boo

Post by Boo »

I might be wrong but I believe only a holographic sight is completely parallax free. But I've never seen parallax cause enough difference in the point of impact on deer vial sized targets. You may see some if you are shooting small dots. Some dots are fairly large and you should be aware of how many minutes of angle the dot is. The Bushnell Holo is one minute of angle and one of my Burris red dots have 3 which is the limit for me.
Some people just like stepping on rakes