magnus

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

LoneWolf wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:I really like the looks of that serrated one, I may have to give one a try..
Just a little information... Serrated broadheads are illegal to hunt with in Ontario.

This information comes from the Ontario Hunting Regulations Summary: A hunting broadhead must have a minimum of 22mm (0.87 in) wide arrow head with at least two cutting edges that are sharp, unserrated, barbless, straight and made of steel.

Just a heads up for you.
Those heads are very legal in Ontario, if you look at the broadhead you will see it does indeed have "at least two cutting edges that are sharp, unserrated, barbless, straight and made of steel". That law doesn't exclude serrations, but it does insist the inclusion of straight edges.
I have spoke to the MNR regarding serration, and curved steel (Crimson Talon), the small "bleeder blades" allow the broadhead to be used legally. I have all of this in writing from the MNR.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
IAMCANADIAN

Post by IAMCANADIAN »

^^^^^Edit: Again, please see the CURRENT regs.....things have changed.

LoneWolf~

I don't have a link, but here is the verbatum from the 2009 book, page 21.
NOTE: The criteria for broadheads used for bow hunting big game and wild turkey have been simplified. A broadhead used for these species must have at least two sharp cutting edges that are at least 22mm wide.
This just goes to show that the MNR does (occasionaly) listen to us. The draconian regs that existed before this year made no sense.....the use of new blade technology (like serrations) or modern materials (such as ceramic) make faster, cleaner kills...not allowing them was actually counterproductive to their goals.

IAC
Last edited by IAMCANADIAN on Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you can't set a good example, at least serve as a horrible warning.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Okay, I stand corrected.

Thanks for that info.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Okay, it just stopped raining cats and dogs out there and I went to my truck and got the 09 Regs, and you are correct, IAC.

Thanks again.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The regulation was so poorly written that companies started to add the bleeder blades to skirt it, doesn't look like it matters anymore.
Good, it's nice to see a regulation give instead of take.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string