Ml'er guys(new white hot pellets)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Ml'er guys(new white hot pellets)

Post by crazyfarmer »

has anyone seen these new pellets.. everyone raving over them now.. it seems to be the best thing out since BH209 which I stopped using. I loved the groups, but one misfire killed that powder for me.

I may try some of these pellets but they arent cheap... cleaning is supposed to be much easier than T7 also and from the reviews Ive seen its twice as easy to clean up!

velocity is through the roof on these with 2 pellets.. 1710 fps vs 1539 from the T7 and 2 pellets.. 3 pellets of T7 gives 1858 speeds

ill more than likely test some.. if not, im going to the T7 powder and 110 grains of that
TPM

Post by TPM »

I'm just moving up from patched round ball to lead conicals for my muzzleloader this deer season. Goodbye 1820's technology, hello 1860's technology! :D . Boy, I've got a long way to go to this new fangled pellet stuff... :o
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Hear tell the BH 209 requires a larger flash hole to burn consistently. My favorite load is a 250 Barnes, black sabot, over 110 of loose T7. Using a mixture of Ballistol and water (50/50) between shot and for cleaning. Works for me. Not going to fall for another new powder, still have some of Jims' fancy stix that didn't shoot nearly as well.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
saxman

Post by saxman »

I rarely shoot any pelletts.
I'm a loose powder guy.
Right nopw I'm using the BH 209 with excellent results.

90grn BH 209/ 200 grn S/W/ W-209 primer.
For my small whitetail this makes an excellent load.
I have used some of the Powerbelts with good success also.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Cossack wrote:Hear tell the BH 209 requires a larger flash hole to burn consistently. My favorite load is a 250 Barnes, black sabot, over 110 of loose T7. Using a mixture of Ballistol and water (50/50) between shot and for cleaning. Works for me. Not going to fall for another new powder, still have some of Jims' fancy stix that didn't shoot nearly as well.
mine worked great when sighting the Ml'er in.. My groupign sheet is above the rack at the store which helps them sell it. But it didnt like setting for 3 days in the ML'er. Im not sure if it has a short life when setting out or not. I havent shot a better grouping powder. I still have 1 case of the stuff I havent opened that will just sit here.

I bought a pack of the white hots to try.. ill post my results within the next few weeks.. 24.50 for 72 of the pellets
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

Been shooting 777 for several years now without a hitch--they shoot extremely accurate in my Black Diamond and clean easy---dont really have a reason to switch---unless they are cheaper :D
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

crazyfarmer wrote:
Cossack wrote:Hear tell the BH 209 requires a larger flash hole to burn consistently. My favorite load is a 250 Barnes, black sabot, over 110 of loose T7. Using a mixture of Ballistol and water (50/50) between shot and for cleaning. Works for me. Not going to fall for another new powder, still have some of Jims' fancy stix that didn't shoot nearly as well.
mine worked great when sighting the Ml'er in.. My groupign sheet is above the rack at the store which helps them sell it. But it didnt like setting for 3 days in the ML'er. Im not sure if it has a short life when setting out or not. I havent shot a better grouping powder. I still have 1 case of the stuff I havent opened that will just sit here.

I bought a pack of the white hots to try.. ill post my results within the next few weeks.. 24.50 for 72 of the pellets
T7, like most BP substitutes is hygroscopic (absorbs water). I do not leave loads in more than overnight, even then it's chancy if humidity is high or condensation will result. My neighbor found that out the hard way. Took a shot at the big doe he'd been after, the bullet landed at her feet and the pellets spiraled out of the barrel, smoking. He hadn't bothered to unload the gun just stored it in the garage between hunts.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Limbs and Sticks

pOST SUB

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Never heard of it til now, I've shot 6or7lbs of BH209 nothing beats it but smokeless, shoot it 20times run a spit patch thru it keep getting up, it does need a hot primer CCI209M should take care of that prob, If I see Bridges or Wakeman beat the doors down about this new powder then I'll give it a try, NOT UNTIL

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
animal

Post by animal »

crazyfarmer wrote:

Crazzy I left the bh209 in the gun for a 5 day stretch and I took the buck in my avatar picture . It did go bang for me . Do you use the regulare shotgun primers or ML 209 primers. Just curious

The problem I did have was I hunted for the next week without cleaning , yes it's non corrosive and the powder does not absorb moisture but it was damp out and I did get some light rusting in the muzzle . but it did clean up well thank god. You still need to protect your barrel , like mom allways siad use a condom Lesson learned :lol:

http://www.gunsandhunting.com/blackhorn.html
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF ALL INVENTION

EXOCET 200
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

In PA its flintlock only. I drilled my flash hole out alittle , put a touch of primer powder in first then loader up. never had a miss fire. Guys that I know who use pellets put alittle bit of primer powder in first
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

animal wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote:

Crazzy I left the bh209 in the gun for a 5 day stretch and I took the buck in my avatar picture . It did go bang for me . Do you use the regulare shotgun primers or ML 209 primers. Just curious

The problem I did have was I hunted for the next week without cleaning , yes it's non corrosive and the powder does not absorb moisture but it was damp out and I did get some light rusting in the muzzle . but it did clean up well thank god. You still need to protect your barrel , like mom allways siad use a condom Lesson learned :lol:

http://www.gunsandhunting.com/blackhorn.html

i used the W209 primers.. i did testing with 3 different primers.. the hotter the better for BH209. I even called BH to ask which they reccomended over the other primers. As said, I think humidty might have played a roll. I know 2 days during the hunt it was HOT and Humid. I normally unload mine every 4 days if I havent seen the buck I want. Never had a issue in the past with T7 doing this. But the BH209 didnt like it at all. Maybe it was a fluke for me :P
Limbs and Sticks

Re: Ml'er guys(new white hot pellets)

CF I don't know where these numbers came from that you post, they sure seem slow to me, just wondering?
crazyfarmer wrote:velocity is through the roof on these with 2 pellets.. 1710 fps vs 1539 from the T7 and 2 pellets.. 3 pellets of T7 gives 1858 speeds
Velocity & Energy

During the heat of summer IS NOT the time to do shooting across a chronograph to establish bullet speeds. Even a slightly heated barrel means a looser grip of the bore/rifling on a saboted bullet. This in turn affects optimum (most efficient) burn of any powder. I've found it very common to see hot-weather bullet speeds drop as much as 100 f.p.s. from what a rifle and load produces when temperatures are in the 40 to 50 degree range. Fortunately, before the summer heat, I had an opportunity to run a variety of loads (with the same sabot/bullet combinations) across my Shooting Chrony back in early spring, when temperatures were more conducive to consistent velocities. And these are the recorded velocities we will compare here.

Shot: April 6 thru 11, 2009
Temperature Range: 38- to 52-degrees (F)
Humidity Range: 22% to 36%

Charges, Powders - With 260-grain Harvester Muzzleloading "Scorpion PT Gold" & Crush Rib Sabot

100-gr. (26-inch MDM Barrel - 24 1/2-inch bore)

Blackhorn 209: 1,963 fps./2,223 fpe - Black Mag 3*: 1,947 fps/2,189 fpe - FFFg Triple Seven: 1,943 fps/2,176 fpe

110-gr. (27-inch Knight/Green Mountain Barrel - 26 1/4-inch bore)

Blackhorn 209: 2,036 fps/2,392 fpe - Black Mag 3*: 2,021 fps/2,356 fpe - FFFg Triple Seven: 2,016 fps/2,345 fpe

Charges, Powders - With 290-grain Barnes Spit-Fire "TMZ" & Barnes/MMP Boat-Tail Bullet Sabot

110-gr. (27-inch Knight/Green Mountain Barrel - 26 1/4-inch bore)

Blackhorn 209: 1,969 fps/2,494 fpe - Black Mag 3*: 1,952 fps/2,451 fpe - FFFg Triple Seven: 1,929 fps/2,398 fpe
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Wes, it was on some website.. im not sure what setup they tested

i'd be interested to see if the white hot gives 200fps more over these listed...

even if its the same, that would be very good also
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

There already 250fps slower now they will never be 200fps faster than what's listed, better save your money

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
crazyfarmer

Re: post sub

Post by crazyfarmer »

Limbs and Bolts wrote:There already 250fps slower now they will never be 200fps faster than what's listed, better save your money

Wes
Wes, you might have misrad my post.. im not sure how they tested or what they tested out of but here were the speeds

1710 fps - white hot 2 pellets
1539 - T7 with 2 pellets..
1858 - T7 with 3 pellets

the white hots were 200fps faster than the T7 when compared to 2 pellets each:)

100grains of white hot pellets is roughly equal to 120 grains of T7 :P Again, im not sure when they chronoed or how.. but if the above is correct then tested with your results the white hots should hit 2100fps