serrated cutting surfaces (broadheads & knives)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

serrated cutting surfaces (broadheads & knives)

Post by wabi »

Another thread
link to thread
has recently been posted and started a discussion on the use of serrated blades on broadheads.

Seem to be two distinct camps of opinion, either they're the best thing since sliced bread - or they're cursed and doom you to failure. :wink: :lol:

I can remember being told serrated blades on broadheads were a thing to definitely avoid as they would only clog with hair and fat and not penetrate on game. I accepted that as a reasonable result and have never tried them. But I can also remember when serrated knife blades were frowned upon for anyone capable of sharpening a blade and only a gimmick to snare the "tenderfoot outdoorsman" into purchasing a knife.
I avoided the serrated blades for years, but the partially serrated blades are so common now it's hard to avoid them. Finally picked up a pocket knife with a partially serrated blade (and straight blade) and after I used the serrated blade a few times for tasks that would have quickly dulled the straight blade (cutting coarse rope & trimming tree branches for example) I have found the modern steels and blade serration methods actually make a pretty good combination.

No experience with serrated broadheads, but I will admit the serrations on the knife blade do have an advantage in some situations. :shock: :roll: :wink:

Thought perhaps we could discuss serrated blades so we can get a better understanding of the advantages and disadvantages of them.
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

All my pocket knives have a partially serrated blade, when it comes to slicing through rope or any other material it is hard to beat. I have good knives and can appreciate a sharp blade, but serrations have too many things to offer when it comes to the reason I carry a knife.
I know nothing about serrated broadheads but I can't see anything being negative about them using current, modern material and engineering.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Good posting, wabi.

I too have a partly serrated folding (Gerber) knife with a sharp edge on it as well, and I have to say that the serrated part of the blade sure holds it's sharpness.
Limbs and Sticks

p

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

The MILITARY has gone to serrated blades a long time back, they do what they were meant to do, they found them better than a straight blade for their purposes, mostly gerber's, I couldn't get the buzzcut to fly, but the 125 stinger sure does?

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I also Know nothing on this subject, but I would think a serrated edge would not penetrate as well as a blade with a razor finish. serrated edge cuts a high density object well, but with soft tissue I would think it would "grab".

It would make for a interesting test!
I wonder why a serrated edge is banned in Ontario?
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Serrated blades work great when used in a sawing motion. When it comes to slicing, a thin straight blade is hard to beat. Also, on soft tissue, jagged cuts will clot faster due to more surface area that will bind together.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Only a portion of the blade would be cutting with a serrated broadhead, so, in my opinion, it doesn't offer any advantage over the straight cutting blades. More of a gimmick one would think.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I like the half serated blade for my everyday carrying knife. But for my hunting knife I like a full straight blade. For what was mentioned earlier the serated is good for easily cutting through some things that a straight blade has a hard time with. Thus good for an everyday knife. And for a hunting/meat cutting knife I do not want the serations to cut into the meat and chew it up versus slicing through it. As far as with broadheads, I avoid them not for any personal experience but just for because....
Why ride when you can walk!
IAMCANADIAN

Post by IAMCANADIAN »

A razor sharp edge is a razor sharp edge, regardless of whether it is straight or serrated....the difference lies in the amount of cutting edge per inch of blade. As I said in the other thread, a 1" straight edge has 1 inch of cutting surface...but a 1" serrated edge has 1.5-1.75X that. Therefore, when you slide your blade 1", it is the same as sawing a straight blade 1", then back 3/4"....that's why serrated blades work better, they are more efficient (the tool performs more work for the same amount of effort by the user)

YMMV of course, but you could say that I've spent a little time on the "serrated thing and it's applications" ;)

And for the record: These blades are NOT prohibited in ON....they used to be, but we had it changed.

IAC
If you can't set a good example, at least serve as a horrible warning.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

[quote="And for the record: These blades are NOT prohibited in ON....they used to be, but we had it changed.IAC[/quote]

I didnt know that. It must have been in the last year or two?
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

if serrations are a go, then perhaps i should look into these?? :wink:
http://www.outdoorsportsproducts.com/products.htm
It looks like they might gut and 1/4 the deer for you too :lol:
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

one shot scott Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:01 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if serrations are a go, then perhaps i should look into these??
http://www.outdoorsportsproducts.com/products.htm
It looks like they might gut and 1/4 the deer for you too

Looks like the old razorring broadhead with serrations added. I looked for razorrings website a couple weeks ago but don't think they are around anymore. I rember hearing that they tended to plane off and not fly too straight.
Why ride when you can walk!
vortex

Post by vortex »

iamcanadian wrote:[quote="And for the record: These blades are NOT prohibited in ON....they used to be, but we had it changed.IAC
one shot scott wrote:[quote="I didnt know that. It must have been in the last year or two?
I didn't know that either, so I looked it up. 08 regulations state, quote "...bolts must have a 22 mm (0.87 in) wide bolt head with at least two cutting edges that are sharp, unserrated, barbless, straight and made of steel". But the 09 regulations state, quote "...bolts must have a 22 mm (0.87 in) wide bolt head with at least two sharp cutting edges".
That's why this site is so great. There is always new information and I learn something new every day!!!!
Excalibur Vortex
Vari-Zone Scope
OFAH Member
www.wildcam.ca
www.excaliburcrossbow.com
www.ontariooutofdoors.com
TPM

Post by TPM »

I don't know about serrated broadheads but, being a bit of a knife weenie most of my life, I have tried several serrated knives. The first one I had was a Cutco hunting knife. It was one of those orange rubber handled drop points with a fully serrated edge. I had a family member selling Cutco at the time so I thought I'd try one out. I used this knife to field dress, skin and help butcher several deer and two moose at a hunt camp I was with that season. I was amazed at how well that thing cut and at how long it kept an edge. The only time I'd say it was inferior to a straight edge was for skinning as the serrations tended to clog up with fat, especially in cold weather. I had to keep a bucket of hot water handy to occasionally clean the fat off. For field dressing and butchering the knife performed as well as or better than any straight edge I've ever used. The biggest downfall was that eventually the edge did need a bit or work and the only way to bring it back was to send it back to Cutco. I ended up taking the serrations off and it now serves as a back-up knife.
I also bought a Spyderco Endura folding knife years ago with a fully serated blade to go as a companion with my Spyderco Delica straight edge (I'm a huge Spyderco fan). This knife is unbelievable. For slicing things such as rope nothing compares. I used to lend this knife ot our EHS manager at work to cut up de-commissioned rigging straps. No straight edge we ever tried even came close to performing like the serrated Spyderco for that job.
Another one I have is a Gerber Shorty river knife. This blunt tipped, serrated blade knife is clipped to my life jacket. It's sole purpose is the cut rope, straps or clothing should an emergency arise while canoeing. Thankfully I've never had it use it for it's intended purpose but i have tested it on seatbelt material and different types of rope. In every case, one slice and you're through.
I think serrated knives do perform well for their intended purposes and often out perform straight edges for slicing things like ropes and straps. If you've never used one I'd say pick one up and give it a try. You might be surprised, I know I was.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

At the YOUNG age of 57 :) I am a creature of habit, but i might just pick up a half serrated edge knife and give it a try now after reading this post. But i will stay with my Wasp HAMMER-SSI Fixed blade broadheads till they let me down {Creature of Habit} :lol: :lol:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]