GPS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tenn. Equinox

Post by Tenn. Equinox »

10-4 VORTEX ,good idea, I learned to carry a spare flashlight the hard way. :)
Tenn.

Equinox
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Tenn. Equinox wrote:10-4 VORTEX ,good idea, I learned to carry a spare flashlight the hard way. :)
Me too.. I find at least one extra is needed.. :D OK, maybe two.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wabi

Post by wabi »

Depends on what you want it to do. I used a regular GPS for years and finally decided all the extras weren't really necessary for most of my outdoor activities. I bought the Bushnell Backtrack recently and like it's light weight and simplicity. It is very limited in features, but it will save three locations and make it possible to return to them. backtrack
There are some areas where one with more features (like a map showing streams & roads) would be preferable, but I can still find my truck, camp, or home with the backtrack. :roll:
wabi
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i have had 3 garmins since 1993 ...and would buy another garmin ..i'm not saying it's the best but has performed well for me ......currently own a gps 60C....i prefer colour and one with some memory for mapping ...quite handy for sure ....
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

I have a couple of Garmins, The Legend and the GPSMap 76.... Both work well for my needs ,,, I like the legend for hunting because of its small size... they both have mapping ability and the GPSMap 76 is also good for marine use.... They have the ability to track back so you should never get lost, but I do always carry a compass ,, you just never know about electronic devices :wink:

Happy Hunting Folks
Last edited by Sliver on Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
bbbwb

GPS

Post by bbbwb »

I have the Garmin etrex for 5 yrs. I like it very much. I use it for moose hunting mostly as well as some geocache. I have lost signal under intense tree/leaf cover on occasion. It is easy to reposition so as to obtain signal and go on.
I know that there are other models that have more features but for my application I am very happy.

bbbwb
stump

gps

Post by stump »

I've used a basic Garmin E-trex for years and recently bought a Garmin Rhino 110. Neither has the new H high sensitivity receiver, but both work great in most conditions. My only advice, other than what others have said about bringing a compass and map, would be to carry spare batteries. I've had to replace them more than once after spending more time tracking than I anticipated. If I was to buy another gps in future it would be a Rhino that accepts map downloads, so I could always see where I was in relation to lakes, rivers and other landmarks around me.
bbbwb

GPS

Post by bbbwb »

Stump: You have raise a good point regarding maps.As has been mentioned as well as having a compass, I have always carried the top map for the area I am in. The Rhino that you refer to and the maps that are downloaded, are these maps as detailed with regard to lakes as the top maps.

bbbwb
stump

gps

Post by stump »

bbbwb, I'm not certain how detailed the maps are but believe they'd compare with the top maps. They show lakes, rivers, trails, etc. and you can actually add your own trails to them. The 110 that I have doesn't have download ability but I can put routes in, and use waypoints as references. If you're thinking of going to the Rhino 500 series you might want to consider buying in the States. Canada has a restriction on the power of GMS transmitters so the radio doesn't have the same range as the units sold in the states.