GPS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tenn. Equinox

GPS

Post by Tenn. Equinox »

Any body use or know anything about using a GPS.
Tenn.

Equinox
Limbs and Sticks

p

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

A friend of mine just got garmin etex, I compared it to my old gar.112 it was right the money with the way pts. we put in,I think under a 100.00 bucks, bushnell has one also, I would go with the garmin

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Tenn. Equinox

Post by Tenn. Equinox »

Thanks Wes , believe I'll try the Garmin .
Tenn.

Equinox
XbowMisiu

Post by XbowMisiu »

Garmin Legend HCx - can not go wrong - I have it for a couple of years, I am very happy
Darz Bór!
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I have the Garmin e-tex use it for fishing works GREAT :!: Do not know how it works in the woods as my tree stand is about 50 yards out my backdoor :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

12 years ago my father bought one for me to take hunting and fishing. Not that I tend to get lost mind you. Anyways, I thought that the thing was stupid because every now and again it would point me in the wrong direction. I knew for a fact that the thing was wrong. But time and again it was right- and I was wrong.

Just trust it. It will save you from wasting time following the path I would likely choose. :oops: Plus you can use google earth and such and find places of interest via satellite and then go straight to them using the gps and coordinates. It also will test the accuracy of your speedometer in the car.

The cheap ones will work, but a slight upgrade may find some features worth having.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
skamaniac

Post by skamaniac »

I have owned several navigation devices over the years including LORAN for boating before they introduced GPS. I currently own Lowrance. One integrated with a fish finder and another hand held for both hunting and fishing. They are great tools, but never leave your compass home either. With a paper chart or digital chart, a compass and a GPS you are golden.
'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who did not.'
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

I own 3 Garmins & will not look at anything but Garmin.

The newer ones (H models) have a much better antenna for receiving signals under tree cover etc.

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

GPS most are great, depending on what you want it to do..
Just like buying a xbow or a TV, or a car/truck depends on how many extras you might want!!

I have tried a number of the current GPS and for the last 6 years have been stuck on my EarthMates...

My latest a Earthmate PN-40 by DeLORME, small hand held unit, works great in deep woods, and on the road..

As a on the road unit screen is to small for my ageing eyes but I rarely use it as a travel GPS (car/truck) have a dash mount GPS for that, plus a DeLorme PN-20 that works with my mini-laptop.. beats all my dash GPS!!

Have yet to find a spot it won't pick up from..

Figure out what you feel you need your GPS do for you.. then what you can afford to spend and go for what turns you on not what turns on others.

I know not much help for ya, however you have got some great suggestions on what to look for in all the above posts..

Good Luck!!

GaryL .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have a few, the one I rely on the most is my Rino, it has awesome reception deep in the bush and has proven to be reliable. The screen is scratched and cracked, the display is borderline primitive, but it works every time I turn it on.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
swiftfox

GPS

Post by swiftfox »

Planter I also have a Garmin , try pulling up your way point's that you have saved if every thing is not "listed there" try track back you may have saved them to "track back".

The only other thing I can suggest and I know it's not a guy thing but directions that came with it can be helpful! :) :) :wink:

Swiftfox
Last edited by swiftfox on Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the Devil says "Oh! crap She's up"
Limbs and Sticks

planter wrote:QUESTION for Garmen users.. Why does it only show "proximity waypoints" and NOT all I have saved and named. Is there away to bring all waypoints up?
If you go to menu and punch way pts. it should come up, the only reason it wouldn't is maybe they weren't saved it's the only thing I can think of

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

I don't know what the cause is Planter, try it walking around in your yard to see if there's any change, I think they work best when moving worth a shot?

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Tenn. Equinox

Post by Tenn. Equinox »

I just got permission to hunt some land ( mountain ) that I will need a GPS to hunt. Very thick undergrowth.
I like to be in my stand well before daylight and there's no way I can
find it without one. I'm not even sure I can get out without one. :lol:
I guess I had better call Cabelas. Thanks everyone for the great advice.
:)
Tenn.

Equinox
vortex

Post by vortex »

no matter what GPS you get, be sure to take a regular compass just incase of mechanical failure or battery failure :(
Excalibur Vortex
Vari-Zone Scope
OFAH Member
www.wildcam.ca
www.excaliburcrossbow.com
www.ontariooutofdoors.com