Stricknine B/H's

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cfusco

Stricknine B/H's

Post by cfusco »

I know this question has been asked before but I would like to get some info from people with first hand experience.

I will be using Stricknine mechanicals this season and want to know if I should double band them. I have seen the post about dental bands but have not been able to find any as of yet. If I don't use the dental bands, should I double band them with the bands provided in the packaging or is just one of the bands good enough?

I'm shooting an Equinox with 20" Firebolts.

Thanks in adavance for any and all advice.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i haven't shot the stricknines but i have the steelheads. single band always worked fine
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
michiganman

stricknines

Post by michiganman »

i tested them at 305 fps,and shot them a dozen times,no pre openings.my firebolts have brass inserts so thats why im a little slower.if you use one band ,make sure its at the front of head,and always use new bands,if you have them in sun all fall,check them .ill be shooting this head also,JIM
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
houndogger

Post by houndogger »

I think Sumner uses those heads? He will likely see this thread and be of some help.

Dogger
You gotta squeeze the trigger Harley. Don't yank it, It's not your d#$!.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

OK . . .When I first started using the Hammerheads, I tested some using just one of those rubberbands and they were just fine. The Hammerheads are almost exactly the same as the Stricknines. However, those little rubberbands that come with the broadheads seemed a little weak to me, so I always used two with no issues.

The Hammerheads are lighter(100 grain) than the Stricknines and at the time I was shooting a faster set-up. Therefore the force on the rubberbands would be greater with the Hammerheads. So, you could probably get by with just using one, however, there is no disadvantage with using two.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Fred

Post by Fred »

I shoot them out of an Equinox and through the screen on ground blinds I always double band and change them often during the season have never had a problem other than usually they are a one shot head they do seem to discourage a turkey from running or flying away though
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i don't know how the longer blades would do, i have actually shot the steelheads with no band and open from jump street. was no loss of accuracy out to 40 yds. thats as far as i am comfortable with shooting in all the woods.
Half Bubble Off BD360

Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I use to use the buckblasters with 2 bands out of my 200 lb exomag. I would use them without the extra fine little blades which made it 110 gr. they were some nasty broadheads. very big hole in the deer. dropped them quick. HOWEVER, you better place that shot right on the money and the small blades dont like any kind of bone..they will slice thru ribs but nothing else..I dont use them anymore. WHY ? The same reason I love my recurve xbow, simplicity. I choose Montec G5 these days sharpens very easy and nothing to fail on me. flys great cuts on impact..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
michiganman

heads

Post by michiganman »

all heads have been redone by rocket,for 2009,will have to see how they work this year in the field.there are 6 of us shotting there heads this year.stricknine shot real weel at 40 yards.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Hoss, you been roping too many deer. :lol: If you get a broadhead that makes a big hole and drops the deer quick, then story is over. There are no blades that enjoy a good dose of large bone. The buckblaster isn't one I'd try, but, if I were using it with success, I'd stick with it. As far as the bone thing, you stick one of those G5's into a bone and your cutting is most likely done or your arrow is deflected big time. Hitting a big bone with the small blade, the blade bends around the bone and your arrow continues on it's path, cutting . . .probably a real ugly cut too with massive damage. Anyway, hitting big bone is never a good thing, regardless of the broadhead.

michiganman . . .talking with the Trophy Ridge guys gave me a sense of some guys that really want to make the best broadhead in the world. As you said, they made improvements and are working hard to make us successful hunters. However, they need our feedback, just like any manufacturer. If you have a problem with a broadhead, please call the manufacturer and let them know. Then they will work on a solution and we are all better served.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

the old steelheads i used to use had .027 blade thickness. the sidewinder i am fixing to try out has .036 thick blades much better to me
Half Bubble Off BD360

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

smokepolehall wrote:. the sidewinder i am fixing to try out has .036 thick blades much better to me
I didn't realize the Sidewinder was the broadhead used to kill the grizzly bear that attacked that guy. You know, the one that his Dad shot the bear as it chased his son. The write-up is on the Trophy Ridge web page for the Sidewinder. A smaller blade and that guy may have been a goner.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
PABOWDUDE60

Post by PABOWDUDE60 »

I've shot close to 30 deer with the sidewinders and my Matthews .All but 2 fell over within sight of my stand. Very easy blood trails!!
09 Exomax
Lumizone
Boo String
Ground Pounder Mount
Crazy Farmer Alum Camo Arrows With Bolt Cutter BHs
2016 Bull Dog 400 diablo bolts bolt cutters