Broadhead data

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Broadhead data

Post by sumner4991 »

I thought it might be a good idea to post the broadhead data again. We got a lot of new members and there have been a lot of posts about who uses what.

Here is a breakdown of the data collected from the Excalibur members. I hope to continue collecting the data this season. Just be sure when you post your deer in the trophy room and/or on the forum include the broadhead you used and how far it went after the hit.

Fixed Blades
Brand. . . . . .#Kills . . . . . . .Average Recovery
G5 Montec . . . .. . . . .16 . . . . . . . . . .64.58
Slick Trick . . . . . . . .45 . . . . . . . . .. 49.67
Muzzy . . . . . . . . . . ..14 . . . . . . . . . . .61.36
Snuffer . . . . . . . . . . .4 . . . . . . . . . . . 25
Steelforce. . . . . . . . . .2. . . . . . . . . . . 28.5
Wensell. . . . . . . . . . . 7 . . . . . .. . .. . . .50
Boltcutter . . . . . . . . . 8 . . . . . . . . . . . .42.25
Wasp. . . . . . . . . . . . .39. . . . .. . . . . . .70.78
Easton. . . . . . . . . . . .1 . . . . . . . . .. . . .50
Wac'em. . . . . . . . . .. .2. . . . . . . . . . .. .55
Thunderhead. . . . . . . .2. . . . . . . . . . . . 115
Magnus. . . . . . . . . . . .3. . . . . . . . . . . . 20
Sonic. . . . . . . . . . . . . 2. . . . . . . . . . . .35
Talon. . . . . . . . .. . . . .1. . . . . . . . . . . ..80
Total. . . . . . . . . . . . .146. . . . . . . . . . 56.83

Mechanicals
Scorpion. . . . . . . . . . .5. . . . . . . . . . . ..51
Stricknine. . . . . . . . . .5. . . . . . . . . . . ..35
Shockwave. . . . . . . . .4. . . . . . . . . . . .37.5
Steelhead. . . . . . . . . .1. . . . . . . . . . . .40
Spitfire. . . . . . . . . . . .11. . . . . . . . . . 39.09
Rage. . . . . . . . . . . . .16. . . . . . . . . .34.4
Hammerhead. . . . . . . 4. . . . . . . . . . .13.25
Sidewinder. . . . . . . . 1. . . . . . . . . . .35
Jackhammers. . . . . . .6. . . . . . . . . . .37.5
Gator. . . . . . . . . . . . .1. . . . . . . . . . 120
Total. . . . . . . .54. . . . . . . . . .37.9

This data was compiled from the forum members that reported their data over the last two seasons. Deer kill only.

Average recovery was reported in yards from POI to where the deer dropped.

There were 4 deer reported that were not recovered . . .two were hit with Wasp Boss and two with Slick Tricks.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Scott, Thank You very helpful information.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

You can always tell when hunting season is approaching, the broadhead questions come from everywhere!
Good job bringing this data back to the surface Scott.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Super Job on the data, must admitt the problems I have been reading on SlickTricks don't add up too me!!

Best BH I have ever used, same impact as field tips, never a problem on flight.

GaryL .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

GaryL wrote:Super Job on the data, must admitt the problems I have been reading on SlickTricks don't add up too me!!

Best BH I have ever used, same impact as field tips, never a problem on flight.

GaryL .... :D
Thanks GaryL . . .the Slick Tricks have some very fine qualities. I found them very sharp, well balanced and strong. They have a lot of cutting surface in spite of their small profile. For me they flew 4 inches to the left, but, on top of each other at 30 yards . . .I could change my scope to match, but, I like switching from field tip to broadhead without adjusting my scope. Anyway, the Slick Tricks have performed extremely well in the field.

I have made adjustments to my Exomax since the testing. One item was trimmiing the plastic excess off at the riser. I did find that my fletchings could indeed hit that plastic/rubber. Not sure how much that messed with my testing, if any.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... m&start=15

One thing I noticed with the Slick Tricks, I could shoot the broadheads over and over into the target without losing accuracy. The blades were strong enough to endure the impact of the foam target without any damage. That is NOT something I can say about the Wasp Boss. The Wasp would create a slight bend(could not tell by looking) in the blades and definitely lose accuracy even in the foam target. Which could explain the longer tracking jobs on the Wasps. If I were using those, then I would only use new blades when it came time to hunt.

One other note on the data. The Hammerheads and the Stricknines could be listed as one broadhead. If I did, then the average tracking job is 25 yards on the nine kills.

We just need to keep the data coming. There were a couple of tracking jobs reported that went "miles" . . .I did not include those in the data as they seemed like a "freak" event and I didn't want to skew the data for those odd occurances.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wildman

Post by wildman »

+1 with what gary had to say ...Not had one bit of problem with the slick trick mag's.....Geo... :D
Exocet 200,
Miller Quiver Mount
Miller's Killers
Slick Trick B/H
Deputydog

Thanks for the Info.

Post by Deputydog »

Thanks sumner4991
New Crossbow hunter here. Just the info I was looking for. Just started with Exomax last season. Shot two with Wasp broadheads. Both recovered within 30 yards. Info very helpful. Thanks again! Deputydog
Deputydog
wabi

Post by wabi »

Interesting results - thanks for your efforts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A few surprises in the results (for me, anyway) but they should be helpful for those with little or no experience in selecting a broadhead. If I were looking for a broadhead to try this would make selection easier. Just pick which type you want, then look at the ones with the best recovery distances.

That Hammerhead looks like one I may have to try in the future! That's an amazing average!
wabi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Wabi . . .when it comes to broadheads, we want them to perform in the field. What better data than field data? As long as everyone gives their best accounting on their kills, then we should have some very relevant information.

Over the long run, the mechanicals have the advantage. They are more accurate because of wind resistance and they have those big blades for all the cutting. In the field, they should perform better on average than the fixed blades.

I also believe more and more fixed blade fans will start giving mechanicals another look because of recent improvements in the heads.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i never had trouble with my slick tricks.. they just grouped 1inch to the right of the fieldtips(after spin testing).. Im a perfectionist so I tried something else :P Even if it had been .09 inches different, it would still nag at me LOL :P

from the tests above, any head will do the job if its a good hit :lol: :D

slicks are still the best grouping fixed head I have shot 8) :lol: