No F.O.C.?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TrapperBob

Post by TrapperBob »

Horizontal Hunter if your last line was directed at myself. The field points were the ones sent with the right stuff package but I do not see the correlation. I shot a total of 20 shots yesterday with the 150 BH and all hit dead on the money at a measured 20 yards but when I made the move back to a measured 40 yards all my shots dropped 4 inches. My vertical was still on the money.

I am sure after 200 shots with this bow, string and bolt set up everything has settled.

Maybe I should start back at ground zero on this one and re zero with broad heads and adjust the scope accordingly. Just my thoughts.

Bob
Phoenix
Excalibur Flemish string
Easton 2216 Bolt
150 Boltcutter BH

Kids who trap and hunt don't mug little old ladies
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

TrapperBob,

Yes it was. I reread my post and it sounded a bit condesending ( to me anway) and it was not my intent.

The only thing that you changed is the BH and the only change in arrows flight is that it hits 4" lower at 40 yards. That is exactly what I found the difference to be between the 100g and the 125g field points. It sounds to me like you have 125g field points on your arrows. Put a couple of the field points on a scale to find out what they weigh to be sure. If you don't have a scale most archery shops will scale them for you at no cost. I don't know what the field point weight is in the right stuff package but if you scale them you will know for sure. It is so easy to mix up field point weights. I have seen it many times over the years.

Re-zeroing will correct the problem in the short term. When you go back to field points you will have to re-zero again. You should be able to setup once and not have to keep adjusting your zero when going from field points to low profile broadheads of the same weight.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
TrapperBob

Post by TrapperBob »

Thanks Horizontal Hunter. I have a reloading scale here and will check out the weight of the field tips I was shooting.

As you stated the only variable that did change was the 150 grain BH so this is where I will start.

Again thanks for your input. I think this site is so great. After reading other crossbow users posts over the past few days I find I have become quite confident and informed as to what I can expect from my new toy.

Cheers
Bob
Phoenix
Excalibur Flemish string
Easton 2216 Bolt
150 Boltcutter BH

TrapperBob

Post by TrapperBob »

Here are my results from the scales.

Boltcutter BH = 149.89 grains
Field point from the right stuff package = 100.25 grains
Easton 2216 w/BH = 470.92 grain's
Carbon Express w/BH = 484.60 grains

I will try and pick up some 150 field points and re-sight @ 20 and 40 yard then try both the aluminum and carbon bots w BH and see which shoot closest to the field points at both distances.

I will post my results later next week.

My only question about this total weight is, are either of these combinations optimal weight wise?

Any assistance / input most welcome.

Bob
Phoenix
Excalibur Flemish string
Easton 2216 Bolt
150 Boltcutter BH

TrapperBob

Post by TrapperBob »

Bstout

So what you are saying, since my primary purpose for this crossbow is hunting I should set the scope, bow and broad heads up for hunting?????

Makes sense to me as I will not be using the bow for much more than hunting.

I will play with it a bit next week and see what happens. Will keep the group posted on my outcome.

Thanks all.

Bob
Phoenix
Excalibur Flemish string
Easton 2216 Bolt
150 Boltcutter BH

Bluefish024

Post by Bluefish024 »

We just started making our own arrows this season.. Personally we like the new results.. We shot the fire bolts last year with 100gr wasp's, and they did the job well.. But now we are using GT2's, brass inserts, 2 inch blazers.. The Mrs's has 4 degree strait fletching and I went with right helix.. Grouping seems to be better at longer distances. We haven't put broadheads on yet.. We both have a 4 inch drop from 25 to 35 yards.. Now at 45 yards Kneeling I have to put the red dot on the shoulder blade of the target, standing at that distance I have aim 4 inches higher than the shoulder blade to make a heart shot it has a bit of drop, Have to do a little more guess work but the consistancy seems alot better.. I say go with more heavier broadhead I think you will like the results.
Phoenix for Mrs/ Exocet 200 for me
Vari-zone / CompM3 Aimpoint
Boo strings
STS systems
New and improved,,,,kiss of death bolts...
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bstout wrote:
TrapperBob wrote:Any assistance / input most welcome.
I don't use field tips as a reference point, period.

Target tips will "mask" arrow problems while hunting heads will "expose" that you have other issues going on with your hunting arrows.

Field tips are not any kind of "standard" for archery hunting.

They're for target archers and mean little about how well tuned your set-up really is.
No so if you are using mechanicals. I just got finished shooting my field tips vs my Stricknines and Spitfires. Absolutely no difference . . .none.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
TrapperBob

Post by TrapperBob »

All that replied, thanks

Since my primary targets will be moose at 20 - 40 yards I will not be using mechanical BH's but tough hide piercing solid broad heads. My stand I have set up and marked arcs of fire are anywhere from 20 - 40 yards.

I think my FOC is good @approx 13%, maybe a little low but acceptable. My next outing I will shoot the 150 BH and zero my scope for an average of 30 yards to split the difference and will have to compensate for 20 & 40 yard shots if the need arises.

Again thanks for all of your input. Sure is one heck of a learning curve coming from rifle to crossbow. I just want the favor on my side.

Bob
Phoenix
Excalibur Flemish string
Easton 2216 Bolt
150 Boltcutter BH

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bstout wrote:
sumner4991 wrote:No so if you are using mechanicals. I just got finished shooting my field tips vs my Stricknines and Spitfires. Absolutely no difference . . .none.
You're correct, Scott. Mechanical's behave like field tips.

They'll conceal other bow (and arrow) issues rather than expose them.
Bob . . .I think most of the issues I have now come from the collars. Some of these collars simply are not square. Other issues I've seen are tips that are off center. I spin test first. If it doesn't spin perfectly true, then I change the collar. 99% of the time, that solves the problem.

It's important to have a good collar if shooting a mechanical. The collar prevents the blades from continuing to open past their intended stopping point. It they continue to open, then you lose cutting diameter. If used without a collar, then you are leaving that job up to the insert. Not a good thing if using alum. inserts. The blades will dig into the insert upon impact. Got to have a square, hard metal collar.

I'd use the Rocket Steelhead on a moose . . .I know a guy that uses them regularly on moose. No issues.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Horizontal Hunter

I am sure that the vertical difference was is the difference in field point and broadhead weight. If you get 150g field points I bet that they will fly right in there with your broadheads. Then you can practice with your field points saving the wear and tear on the more expensive broadheads.

I have shot the Slick Tricks, Spitfires, and field points out of my Exocet and all hit my POA.

Bob
TrapperBob

Post by TrapperBob »

Thank you all that replied.

I consider this thread closed now as I have taken all your suggestions and come up with a nice combination that works very well.

I purchased a pack of 150g field tips and re zeroed a 20 yards then 40 yards. All was good.

Took the field points off and tried the Boltcutter 150's again shooting at 20 and 40 yards.

Success. Both the 20 and 40 yard shots were bang on, worst shots were a grouping of 4 with in 2 inches at 40 yards. Moose are big animals I am sure I can place a good shot even if it is only a calf.

Again thank you all for all your assistance on this matter.

Bob
Phoenix
Excalibur Flemish string
Easton 2216 Bolt
150 Boltcutter BH

Horizontal Hunter

Excellent. I can't wait to see pictures of the moose.
Good luck.

Bob
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

TrapperBob wrote:I consider this thread closed now as I have taken all your suggestions and come up with a nice combination that works very well.

Bob
Ummmm... ya... I too thank everybody for all of the helpful info.

But Trapperbob, just in case I think of something else I want to ask, would it be alright with you if I re-open MY thread? :wink: :lol:
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
TrapperBob

Post by TrapperBob »

Nine pointer

Poor choice of words on my behalf. Should have read:

I consider this thread for me closed.

The thread is yours to use in any way you wish.

Bob
Phoenix
Excalibur Flemish string
Easton 2216 Bolt
150 Boltcutter BH

ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

No sweat Bob, i knew what you meant :) . Just ridin' ya a bit :lol:
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount