No F.O.C.?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

No F.O.C.?

Post by ninepointer »

I've got some Easton Carbon Power Bolts with 2" Blazer vanes and aluminum inserts front & back. As a result, there is no FOC weight on these arrows. My regular heads are 100 gr. Wasps (3 fixed blades).

I haven't tested these arrows yet; intend to do that this weekend. But I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and pull the front inserts and replace them with brass now? Or do they stand a chance of shooting my broadheads well as is?
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
wabi

Post by wabi »

I shoot aluminum 2215s with 2" blazers and aluminum inserts front & rear. With every 100 grain broadhead I normally use they do just fine.
Not saying FOC isn't important, but brass inserts aren't always needed.
wabi
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Shoot 'em and see how you like 'em first. You might be surprised.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
greener

No FOC

Post by greener »

Do yourself a favour and remove the front aluminum inserts. Put in the brass. Your bolt with a 100 grian point should now have around 16 to 18% FOC. Your downrange accuracy and stability will be greatly enhanced. I shoot GT Lazer 2's 20 inch with 110gr. brass front inserts, 100 gr. Grizz Tricks with 2 " Fusion vanes. This set up from my Vortex gives me around 318 FPS. I can shoot out to 50 yards and make 1 inch groups off the bench at 20,30,40 &50 yds. Total weight is 398grs. Vortex is equipped with a BOO string. This will be my set up for Bear Hunting on Sept. 1st. in the Kinmount area. My bolt is equiped with a Lumenok. Hope this helps.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

something as simple as adding a 125 or 150 grain head would help your FOC alot.. sure beats pulling the inserts if you dont have to..

btw, firebolts will fly just fine with a 100 grain head and the aluminum front... some people factor in FOC way to much. Shoot it and see if it works.. if it shoots straight and good.. dont worry about the FOC

FOC isnt gonna matter to the deer when it hits :P
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

crazyfarmer wrote:something as simple as adding a 125 or 150 grain head would help your FOC alot.. sure beats pulling the inserts if you dont have to..
If the arrows don't fly to my satisfaction, that's just what I might do. I've never pulled inserts before, so if an arrow maker tells me that it is a PIA, I'll take his word for it! :lol:

Seems to me that velocity factors into the need for increased FOC. In my case I'm shooting an Exocet 165, which was chronographed at around 240 fps. For example, I'm thinking that Boltcutters might be too heavy at 150 grains. They seem to be a response to the faster, >300 fps bows.

I know... none of this means a hill of beans until I properly test the arrows and actually see what they do. Until then, I'm just blowing hot air :roll:
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

You may like them just fine;)

as said, just by adding a heavier tip will get you almost the same goal as using a brass insert. Granted you will be lacking 40-50grains still, even with a 150grain head on there, but it may do the trick for ya.

something else... you could always get some raw shafts like gold tip laser 2's and build them for your setup;)

I made some 12% FOC arrows for my lil girls vixen 2 and they fly ok. But the 16% brass insert ones do seem to fly better and they definitely go into the target deeper, even though they are 15fps slower

just try different setups untill you find the one you like
TPM

Post by TPM »

I'd say just bring them to the shoot on Sunday and try them out then. That way if you miss you can blame the arrows. Putting together an inventory of excuses is a very important part of 3D. :wink: :lol:
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

TPM wrote:I'd say just bring them to the shoot on Sunday and try them out then. That way if you miss you can blame the arrows. Putting together an inventory of excuses is a very important part of 3D. :wink: :lol:
See you there!
Boo

Post by Boo »

When I bought my first brand new Exocet it was just like yours. I shot 2117s and 130gr Camloks. They flew just fine! The wonderful thing about your bow is that is not going to be as picky as those that are near or surpass 300ft/sec. Shoot it and see what happens! :D
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Im like the crazy farmer dude.. increase your broadhead wieght to see if it makes a diff ..if it does go to brass inserts and then back to your original BH. Thats a good check anyways..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

I used the FOC calculator to determine that, with my 100 gr broadheads, my regular arrows have 15.5% FOC, while my new Eastons only have 8% FOC. Overall weight is very similar.

So I tested the arrows today and there was no difference in flight between the Eastons and my regular arrows. I was shooting with field points and with broadheads. Distances were 20 and 30 yards. No wind.
TrapperBob

Pheonix & Boltcutters

Post by TrapperBob »

Just received my 6 Boltcutter BH Friday and could not wait to try them out on my new Phoenix with 150 gr boltcutter on Easton 2216, with the Excalibur Flemish string.

Before I headed out I used the FOC calculator to determine that with the 150 gr broadheads, my setup only has 12.2% FOC

As everyone on here has been saying FOC is not the main objective...So I test fired at 20 yards and it was bang on center same as the field point were firing. I measured out 40 yards and test fired once again and was a little disappointed. My bolt had dropped 4 inches. I thought it was a bad shot so test fired 4 more shots. All were in the same place 4 inches low.

Anyone have some idea's before I head out moose hunting on the 19th :?:

Bob
Phoenix
Excalibur Flemish string
Easton 2216 Bolt
150 Boltcutter BH

Kids who trap and hunt don't mug little old ladies
wabi

Post by wabi »

Not starting an argument (I hope), and I know FOC is good, but I have been hunting with 2215s & 100 grain heads for years now. I have shot in about all weather conditions that can be encountered on a deer hunt (I will not shoot a deer with an arrow when it's raining hard because of blood trails washing out, but I've shot a few in light rain) and never had any problems or issues with arrow flight. I checked the FOC of those arrows yesterday and according to the online calculator they are 7.3%.
I know that's low, but I can't see any reason to panic and throw my arrows away. As long as it works - I'm sticking with it!
I night add that I keep shots close. For me, 20 yards is a long shot. :wink:
wabi
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I agree with Wabi. As long as the broadheads fly well that is what matters. I was at the range on Tuesday to fling some arrows and I wanted to try the 100g field points verses the 125g I had been shooting. At 40 yards the difference was about 4". The obvious question to me is what is the weight of the field point you were shooting before you put on the 150g broadhead?

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire