How do you make your ground deer meat?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dlzinck

How do you make your ground deer meat?

Post by dlzinck »

I've heard several different ways. I will be using the meat to make burgers, Italian sausage and breakfast sausage, so I need to add a little fat.

My buddy swears by taking one pound of beef fat to ten pounds of deer meet when grinding.

What do you folks do?
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s259/dlzinck/arrow.gif[/img]

Good hunting!!
Pround member of Team PETA
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Like bstout, all I grind is just the meat itself. No fat, sinew, silver-skin, membranes, etc.

I use quite a bit of the ground meat for jerkey. :wink: Mix your spices in, roll it flat with a rolling pin, cut into strips, and put in a dehydrator. Good stuff!!!

With the ground meat not having any fat in it, you can use it for the jerkey or anything else that you want. If you need/want some fat in it later on, mix in a little ground pork or beef with whatever you're fixing. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
wabi

Post by wabi »

bstout wrote:I just grind up pure red venison with absolutely no sinew in it. I pack the burgers hard and tight and have never had a problem with them coming apart. Too me mixing anything in with venison is a poor idea. It will not taste like venison after that.
I use only pure venison, too.
Sometimes I mix a few crushed saltines in the burger before I press it when making patties to fry/grill. The saltines bind them together and stretch the burger, too.
wabi
skamaniac

Post by skamaniac »

Sometimes I mix a few crushed saltines in the burger before I press it when making patties to fry/grill. The saltines bind them together and stretch the burger, too.
I sometimes use saltines or breadcrumbs, an egg, chopped onion and a dash or Worchestershire.
'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who did not.'
lscha

Post by lscha »

We process our own and we do both. Pure venison (manicured) for all ground meat recipes and some we add 1/4 lean pork shoulder for patties so I don't have to add as much fat to the pan for frying. The lean pork doesn't change the flavor much at all and I vacuum all cuts. All chunks are left whole (boned) in 1 lb packages so I have a choice of steaks or roasts at the time I defrost and I can chose the thickness then too. I never make sausage because we like the taste of our venison so much but if I ever get an extra (more than 3) deer I would like to make sausage.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
killshot

Post by killshot »

Big58cal wrote:Like bstout, all I grind is just the meat itself. No fat, sinew, silver-skin, membranes, etc.

I use quite a bit of the ground meat for jerkey. :wink: Mix your spices in, roll it flat with a rolling pin, cut into strips, and put in a dehydrator. Good stuff!!!

With the ground meat not having any fat in it, you can use it for the jerkey or anything else that you want. If you need/want some fat in it later on, mix in a little ground pork or beef with whatever you're fixing. :wink:
I do the same thing. Most of my ground goes into jerkey. I bought a jerkey cannon and shoot round sticks like pepperettes. Can't keep the kids away from it.
2008 Vortex 200
Vari-zone Scope
150 Grain Boltcutters
NGSS
Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter »

Sausage making is too involved of a process to discuss in a short message.

However, I make all of my ground meat one way and we use this formula for all recipes that call for ground beef; whether it be burgers for grilling, casseroles, meatloaf’s, etc.

For 10 lbs. of finished product:
10 white onions
6 lbs. red meat venison, cubed 1” to 2”
4 lbs. beef trimmings, cubed 1” to 2”

Coarse chop onions and set aside. Mix meats together and pass through a fine grinding plate. Mix onions into the meat and though an open grinding plate or the grinding plate with the largest holes that you have and into commercial 1 lb. plastic sausage bags; twist and tape or hog-ring the end of the bags and freeze.

If you do not have any commercial 1 lb. plastic sausage bags, weigh-out your finished product into 1 lb. lots and shape into breakfast sausage size ‘logs’. Roll each log four times around with plastic wrap and tie off one end of the roll with cotton string. Bump the tied end of the bag of the counter and gently squeeze to force air to the top (untied end). Twist the untied end and tie off with cotton string and freeze.
skamaniac

Post by skamaniac »

We also enjoy hamburger patties made with 2/3 venison and 1/3 ground chuck.
I used to buy beef suet and grind at 85/15 which i really like.
'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who did not.'
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

Our favorite way, Enjoy, Stosh

ITALIAN DEER OR PORK SAUSAGE

YOU CAN USE ALL PORK OR MIX PORK AND DEER ½ AND ½

FOR 1 LB OF SAUSAGE

1 TSP FENNEL
1 TSP PARM. CHEESE
¼ TSP EACH> SUGAR, BASIL, OREGANO, SALT, BLK. PEPPER, GARLIC POWDER,
½ TSP CRUSHED RED PEPPER

FOR 10 LB. OF SAUSAGE

10 TSP. FENNEL
10 TSP. PARM. CHEESE
3 TSP. EACH
SUGAR
BASIL
OREGANO
SALT
BLK. PEPPER
GARLIC POWDER
5 TSP. CRUSHED RED PEPPER FOR HOT I USE 8 TSP.

PUT ALL SPICES IN A BLENDER WITH A LITTLE WATER, LIQUIFY, MIX WELL. MAKE PATTIES OR MEATBALLS, FRY UNTIL JUST BROWNED, COOK IN YOUR SAUCE.

FOR THE SAUCE, 1 QT JAR ANY BRAND SPAGETTI SAUCE , ADD 2 TSP SUGAR, 1 TSP OREAGNO, 1 TSP BAZIL, 2 TBLSP OLIVE OIL, 1 TSP GARLIC POWDER
FRY 2 LARGE PEPPERS, 1 MED ONION, ADD TO SAUCE FOR LAST 15 MIN OF COOKING TIME.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Let's see: Jerkey (I grind mine and extrude it), lasagna, meatballs, hamburger hotdish, chili, Stroganoff, tacos, enchiladas, burritos, 'beef' and barley soup, 'hamburger gravy, sausage, wieners and, oh yes, hambergers.

And just tonight, cubed venison sirloin, floured and seasoned with sage, rosemary and black pepper, sauteed with onion and zuchnni, with a touch of red wine and W sauce, served with fresh corn on the cob (boiled exactly 3 min in water with sugar added), sliced tomato and cukes from the garden. Man, how I HATE livein' off the land. OK OK I had to purchase the Cabernet Sauvignon :lol:
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
michiganman

ground

Post by michiganman »

i debone all the meat for steaks.for my burger,i mix 1/3 ground round,and 2/3 venison.i have all girls in the family,and they have been eatting this for 20 plus years.i hooked up a plaster drill to a cast iron grinder,and we do 8-12 deer a year.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado