Another Meeting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

Another Meeting

Post by Mike P »

Doc should be picking me up in about half an hour. Becker and Shrader will already be in the truck. They arrived at Doc's house about forty-five minutes ago. Becker brought the beer so it will be some expensive imported brand. We will make fun of him for trying to impress us, but we will gladly drink his beer. And another meeting of the Bean Field Bird Watching Brigade will come to order.

This is the time of year when the very first inklings of possible targets start to creep into the brigades conversations between off color jokes and updates on friends and families. It is early yet, but some bucks are starting to distinguish themselves and the first use of words like "possible" and "potential" start to creep into the conversations. These are the first winds of change in the demeanor of the brigade. Things are becoming more serious.

Becker talks a good game, but that is what it is, talk. Every year he compiles a "hit list" of the bucks we glass and with a great deal of bravado, changes it every time we see a new buck. Doc is a little less serious and only states that he hopes this one or that one happens to walk under a tree he is perched in during the season. It is Shrader and I that give each other the glances, the looks that need no accompanying words once a good buck is glassed. It is we two that realize the game has begun.

There are four weeks until the starter's pistol is fired. And the four of us will bust out of the chute like long shots at the Belmont before the sound of that report has faded. We all know that the best chance to catch a mature buck on an early food pattern is the first two or three days of the new season. The best buck Doc ever harvested was five years ago on an early food pattern at the farm next to the apple orchard. But this chance will last only those couple of days at best as the activity will blow the bucks off the pattern quickly.

We will hunt those first couple of days setting up on bucks still on a particular food pattern. The four of us will hunt in very close proximity to each other. The entry trails being used by the bachelor groups will be covered by Becker and Doc. The escape routes will be covered by Shrader and me. This plan is set up to give Doc and Becker the best chance of success. As soon as the temps drop below forty-five, Becker will retreat to his heated blind. This is his best chance to stick a big boy. Doc will hang in there longer but will be finished by the end of the Ohio gun season in early December. Shrader and I have signed up for the duration. We will hunt to the bitter end of the season if need be.

I promised myself I was not going to target one animal this year. I intend to keep that promise. I will not repeat the insane quest that I took last year. I really want to "stop and smell the roses" this year and relish my time alone in the woods. Don't get me wrong. I want a mature buck. I just don't want to kill myself going after him. I am confident I can place myself in situations this year where I will have the opportunity to paint a 150 class buck with the varizone. Whether I bring that opportunity to a successful conclusion remains to be seen. I have a habit of whacking my Phoenix limbs into tree trunks and branches immediately after I pull the trigger. I get so caught up in shot placement I fail to realize the proximity of tree to crossbow limb. This has happened to me twice on very nice bucks.

Shrader will again hunt like his very life depends on it. He is a heart attack with a crossbow. Physical discomforts mean nothing to him, the worse the conditions, the more he likes it. He is an enigma. He is a wildly successful business owner who reverts back to his Army Ranger days the moment his boots touch the forest floor. It's like he goes through some time warp. His entire demeanor changes. And as I have told you before, he really creeps the three of us out when he gets that way.

The Swede informs me the big GMC dually is coming down the driveway. The Bean Field Bird Watching Brigade is about to be called to order. There is expensive imported beer to be consumed. There are stories to be told. And dimes to dollars Becker will announce that the buck we are glassing is now number one on his list.

But I sense a change is in the air.

Things are starting to get serious.
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

Glad you are having fun Mike. Since I moved here to IL 6 years ago I have no hunting buddies. The people here are hard to get to know. Very 'Stand-off-ish' to newcomers. I am lucky to have a brother-in-law(who doesn't hunt) that has some land that I can hunt. I miss my hunting buddies in E. KY.
Kelley
Last edited by Kelley on Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
mikej

Post by mikej »

great read mike , find a big one. i can't wait to read about your adventures this coming season . have you got the mount of the palmated buck back yet?
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

mikej wrote: have you got the mount of the palmated buck back yet?
Still looking for the proper cape Mike. It has to be a cape from a very large animal or the mount will just look ridiculous. It is going to look "freakish" even with a cape from a large buck due to the width of the rack. If we use a normal size cape the mount will look "cartoonish" for lack of a better word.

(For those that don't know, coyotes got to the buck before I did after I arrowed him and did extensive damage so the bucks cape was not usable.)
IAMCANADIAN

Post by IAMCANADIAN »

Mike~

I write magazine editorials for a living, so I think I'm qualified to say this.....You have a fantastic writing style! It's refreshing to see the gift of cyber penmanship on BB's such as this, especially in a world where "ew I thot tht e2a got pwn3d lst nite" seems to be the prevelant digital language overtaking the net. I look forward to reading more. :)

IAC
If you can't set a good example, at least serve as a horrible warning.
kmtpr

Post by kmtpr »

Enjoyed reading about you guys getting together. Good luck to all this season.
Mike P wrote:(For those that don't know, coyotes got to the buck before I did after I arrowed him and did extensive damage so the bucks cape was not usable.)
That is really a shame. :( Good luck finding a cape that is appropriate. :D
Am a non-hunting woman who supports hunting and crossbows!

I rather be hated for standing up for what I believe in, than be popular by going against my beliefs.

NRA Golden Eagles & ILA, NJOA
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

happy glassing mike!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Mike P you are living the dream! Enjoy it, and good luck. Keep us posted on you, and the crew,
mikej

Post by mikej »

IAMCANADIAN wrote:Mike~
especially in a world where "ew I thot tht e2a got pwn3d lst nite"

IAC
i have no idea what you just said :lol: , man i'm glad no one writes like that here :lol: :lol:
mikej

Post by mikej »

Mike P wrote:
mikej wrote: have you got the mount of the palmated buck back yet?
Still looking for the proper cape Mike. It has to be a cape from a very large animal or the mount will just look ridiculous. It is going to look "freakish" even with a cape from a large buck due to the width of the rack. If we use a normal size cape the mount will look "cartoonish" for lack of a better word.

(For those that don't know, coyotes got to the buck before I did after I arrowed him and did extensive damage so the bucks cape was not usable.)
will you be showing us pics once he's done?
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I am getting very excited for opening day {23 days}, reading your adventures just adds fuel to the fire :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
animal

Post by animal »

Next saturday in my zone the first one must be a doe looking forward to posting pictures
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF ALL INVENTION

EXOCET 200
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Good read, Mike. Hope you guys have a great season!
"Eze 18:21"