over hunting a stand

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gogo

over hunting a stand

Post by gogo »

ive heard people say not to over hunt your stand. what do you consider over hunting one stand 3 or 4 days in a row 7 or 8 days in a row. should you hunt a few days then give the area a rest, need an opinion
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

It is my opinion that the very first time you hunt a stand you have the greatest chance for success. The chances for success decrease after every subsequent hunt out of the stand.

It is a known fact that deer key in on stand locations where they have had encounters with hunters. Some doe's may not care and do nothing to avoid the stand site.

But bucks are a whole different story. They will avoid the area at all costs.

I try never to hunt one location in excess of three hunts, a morning, afternoon and the following morning. If I don't have the encounter I want during that time frame, I move on.
dlzinck

Post by dlzinck »

Here is one guys study of overhunting a tree stand. Obviously not a scientific study, but very good evidence to back up what Mike P just said.

http://www.imbmonsterbucks.com/info.php?id=61
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s259/dlzinck/arrow.gif[/img]

Good hunting!!
Pround member of Team PETA
deerdhunter

Post by deerdhunter »

I think it depends on a number of factors.

Whether the deer frequently encounter humans or scent.
Bumping deer going in or out.
Scent left or being winded.
Much depends on the approach & departure from the stand.
Prevailing winds.
Whether its a feeding, bedding, funnel or travel area.
How badly the deer want to travel to a certain place.
Whether the terrain is open or thick.

Where I hunting in the suburbs overhunting hasn't been a problem but
i try not to get to close to their bedding areas.

In more remote areas I have seen deer move to the other side of the ridge to travel after having been spooked with one encounter.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

deerdhunter wrote:I think it depends on a number of factors.

Prevailing winds.

In more remote areas I have seen deer move to the other side of the ridge to travel after having been spooked with one encounter.
pretty much what he said....

if you spook deer, dont come back for 3-4 days atleast.. hunt the wind. If you dont spook deer you can get away with hunting a stand alot. If yu spook a mature buck once.. you wont get a second chance there. But it does happen. Ive killed the same buck ive spooked the next day before quite often.. just depends on the time of the season
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

well...ive had different results.Theres one spot with only 5 acres..yep just 5 and no matter what the deer ALWAYS come back..Last year I shot my buck here and waited 2 days and went back to try and fill my doe tag and
seen a ton of deer and ended up getting a nice doe..Yes I agree if you shoot and miss one buck he will probably try to stay away from that general area but Ive hunted this stand almost the entire season last year and seen deer every day I went and they never knew I was there..so I dont think you can over hunt a stand unless you keep getting winded or shoot and miss a bunch of deer
deerdhunter

Post by deerdhunter »

I hunt on ten acres in the suburbs - the deer have few choices on where to travel & bed in the area & it takes immense pressure to cause them to leave
the places they know and prefer. In my experience the deer seldom leave an area even under intense hunting pressure. They will change trails, slip quietly & very slowly, make sure they have the wind favorable, stand & watch & then stand watch some more, stick tight to thickets & move from cover to cover, change travel times & go nocturnal but seldom leave.
hiking

Post by hiking »

I totaly agree with deerdhunter and crazy farmer. the exception is the rut, when bucks from a totally diffrent area are in your area for the first time.
exocet 200
Limbs and Sticks

ppp

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

One of those geezers I hunt with goes to the same stands every other day, goes in a dark, high noon he's out for lunch, 1o"clock he's back in til dark, he doesn't have a prob filling his freezer and helps others fill theirs as well

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
perrysbirds

Post by perrysbirds »

Hunt the stand as much as possible you will get more than one chance!
If im not out shooting deer.
Im home drinking beer!
2007 exomax
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

crazyfarmer wrote:
deerdhunter wrote:I think it depends on a number of factors.

Prevailing winds.

pretty much what he said....

if you spook deer, dont come back for 3-4 days atleast.. hunt the wind. If you dont spook deer you can get away with hunting a stand alot. If yu spook a mature buck once.. you wont get a second chance there. But it does happen. Ive killed the same buck ive spooked the next day before quite often.. just depends on the time of the season
I agree as well with both and want to add----> It can be used to your advantage being busted that is..If you see where they like to travel after you have been scented remember that, I would hunt the stand again next day if the buck hears or smells me ther and avoids me in the same manner THAT is what i want to know..the next day i go in and hang the yesterdays shirt from same tree. then I gently sneek to the area where he has chosen to travel to avoid me. Do like bstout does and have good hygiene, be quiet and quick to get still in the tree above the new escape route you have chosen..as long as the wind is like before and a things are as they were be ready to knock him down..he will smell you he thinks its you and avoid you in the same manner not knowing hes coming right to you..This has worked for me in the past, its hard because things --wind weather, no extra preasure ect has to be about the same
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

You know it's time to move when the deer look up to check if you're there. :(
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Big John

m

Post by Big John »

Believe it or not, I can agree with cossack on that one, I've seen Deer looking up at my stand many times before to see if I'm there. Thankfully most of the time I've moved to another tree and see them doing it! :wink:
But a couple times I've had a good staring contest with them and then watched them run off.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Hoss

Re: m

Post by Hoss »

John wrote:Believe it or not, I can agree with cossack on that one, I've seen Deer looking up at my stand many times before to see if I'm there. Thankfully most of the time I've moved to another tree and see them doing it! :wink:
But a couple times I've had a good staring contest with them and then watched them run off.
I hate educated deer...lol
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
sumner4991

Re: ppp

Post by sumner4991 »

Limbs and Bolts wrote:One of those geezers I hunt with goes to the same stands every other day, goes in a dark, high noon he's out for lunch, 1o"clock he's back in til dark, he doesn't have a prob filling his freezer and helps others fill theirs as well

Wes
I know that guy . . .I always thought over hunting a stand was when there weren't any more deer left. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen