ONE VOTE FOR LOGIC

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BOB VANDRISH

ONE VOTE FOR LOGIC

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

CROSSBOWS TO BE LEGAL FOR 2009-10 ARCHERY DEER AND BEAR SEASONS

HARRISBURG – The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners today voted down a proposal that would have placed restrictions on crossbow use for the 2009-10 seasons. The 4-4 tie vote is not sufficient to give the proposed rulemaking the final adoption needed, so the previously approved regulations governing the use of crossbows for the 2009-10 seasons – as outlined in the 2009-10 Digest – will remain in effect.

On July 9, by a vote of 4-3, the Board gave preliminary approval to regulatory changes to restrict the use of crossbows for the upcoming fall hunting seasons. Following the July 9th vote, the proposed rule-making was reviewed by the state Office of Attorney General and published in the Pennsylvania Bulletin on Aug. 22.

Those voting today in favor of the proposal were Game Commissioner Ron Weaner, who requested that the proposal be placed on the July meeting agenda; as well as Game Commissioners Tom Boop, David Schreffler and Jay Delaney. Those voting today against the proposal were Game Commissioners Greg Isabella, David Putnam, Robert Schlemmer and Ralph Martone.

Based on today’s action, crossbows may be used by hunters participating in the archery deer and archery bear seasons for the 2009-10 seasons, as well as turkey seasons and the two-week firearms deer seasons.

Under the regulations, a crossbow must have a minimum drawn weight of at least 125 pounds, and a bolt must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inches with at least two cutting edges on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and shall not exceed three inches in length.

Hunters participating in the October muzzleloader antlerless deer season or late flintlock muzzleloader season are not permitted to use the crossbow in place of their muzzleloader. Hunters participating in the overlapping archery deer seasons may use a crossbow.

A sunset date for this expanded crossbow use will require a future Board to vote on the measure again before June 30, 2012.

# # #
Bob Vandrish.
mikew

Re: ONE VOTE FOR LOGIC

Post by mikew »

BOB VANDRISH wrote:<snip>
Based on today’s action, crossbows may be used by hunters participating in the archery deer and archery bear seasons for the 2009-10 seasons, as well as turkey seasons and the two-week firearms deer seasons.
<snip>
Hunters participating in the October muzzleloader antlerless deer season or late flintlock muzzleloader season are not permitted to use the crossbow in place of their muzzleloader. Hunters participating in the overlapping archery deer seasons may use a crossbow.
I fail to understand the logic in that portion.

Can someone enlighten me as to why the crossbow is forbidden in the muzzleloader seasons?
Whatever happened to the 'you can always trade down' concept?

Though, overall this was a positive action.
-Mike
darkhollowarcher

Post by darkhollowarcher »

I personally am glad it is settled for now!!!!!!!! but i believe all that have been working for this understand it isnt over. I believe that several of the BOC members that are guided by the anti crossbow UBP will try another back door attack sooner than later.
But for now it is a great day for all archery hunters in Pa , thanks to all that helped make this happen.
May you be in heaven three days before the devil knows your dead
dspa

Post by dspa »

It just means separate license for each weapon. Before you could hunt muzzle loader season with crossbow using muzzle loader license. Now you can't. Also late season same deal but now you can't use unfilled buck tag for a doe harvest. Muzzle loader's still can, crossbow folks can't. Buck tag for buck only.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Same kind of folks that limited our deer kill to one buck, unless you get a lottery doe permit, then the doe counts as the one deer. Oh yes that's with ANY implement you decide to hunt, bow , rifle or ML. Does can be shot with archery equipment but then ...no more deer. And to get into the doe lottery you have to buy a license by Sept 10 and declare if your going to shoot it with a rifle of ML...which season is in the latter part of Nov. AFTER the rifle season. So if you kill a buck with a rifle, the ML license is no good.
And these same folks made any 22 caliber centerfire caliber deer legal. That means my 22 HORNET now qualifies as a deer gun!
Did I mention that last year we could shoot a deer with any license we purchased plus bonus doe tags? No we didn't have a winter kill. Wolves yes, but not a winter kill. And in the refuge, whee the wolves wee supposed to stay, one can take 2 deer. WTF?!!!
How DO they come up with this -hit?!!
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!