You Canadian boy's loose something?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bbbwb

Lose something-- Canada Geese

Post by bbbwb »

Interestin g the different tastes that have been indicated with regards to eating goose meat.Like VixChix I have resorted to breasting them out and have roasted them. Have not had anyone turn them down at the table.
However there is one common thread with all the responses and that is their presence are not fully appreciated. The milder winters here (Southern Ontario), have played a part in changing their migration habits, however another factor during the winter months especially, that I feel has been a great influence, is the willingness of people to feed these birds that have come into the urban areas where open water is present. In this setting, protection from the weather and hunting in the river is present and with food being presented ---- no need to search out food, outside city limits where hunting is allowed--- just stay put and the food comes to them. People daily go to park areas adjacent to the river and distribute old baking products -- bread, buns, loaves etc. just to watch the birds. No amount of discussion regarding the disservice that they are doing to the birds will be listened to.
So my suggestion to anyone in an area where these birds are now appearing, which is an unusual occurrence, do not feed them and entice them to stay. They can become a nuisance. Encourage hunting seasons to be implemented if not present, and participate fully.
I have been long winded I know, so I will step down off of my lecture box and sign off.
Have a great weekend all.

bbbwb
Mike P

Re: Lose something-- Canada Geese

Post by Mike P »

bbbwb wrote: I have been long winded I know
Long winded?

By my standards that was just a warm up!
Peach

Post by Peach »

I'm not a huge fan of the meat also, tried two, and to me, they both tasted like crap. Everytime I golf I try and hit one with a ball just to do my part for the numbers.
2008 Equinox - STS - Boo String
Hoss

Re: Lose something-- Canada Geese

Post by Hoss »

Mike P wrote:
bbbwb wrote: I have been long winded I know
Long winded?

By my standards that was just a warm up!
No not you Mike..who would say sucha thing.. :roll:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
huntfishfam

Post by huntfishfam »

We have lots , you can keep those. By the way they make excellent jerky( experience) and I understand excellent pepperettes( soon to find out ).
Sean
I hunt,I fish,I am
Get clean, lean and healthy with isagenix. I can show you how.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

How is your lawn looking Scott?
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: :lol: Keep them we have enough of those crap machines here as it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink: Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
bucont

Post by bucont »

As for the taste of these critters I have had my share over the years and I actually prefer the wild over farm raised. That goes for turkey as well.

Here is what we do (dippin to the wifes recipe):

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup carrots, shredded
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1 medium apple, cored, peeled and chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup veal (or low-salt chicken) stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons dried rosemary
2 tablespoons dried thyme
4 bay leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cracked pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium-low heat and throw the veggies, apple and garlic in for 8-10 minutes. Add the wine, spices and fancy stuff (thyme and rosemary). Crank up the heat and boil for about 1 minute. Lower to low heat and simmer for 6-8 minutes.

Pour the vegetables and liquid into a large roasting pan fitted with a lid. Turn the bird breast-side down and nestle into the liquid and veggies. Spoon some of the liquid and vegetables over the goose and add more water, scratch that, more wine to submerse the bird half-way. Cover and roast about 1 1/4 hours. Turn the bird over, facing up, and cook another 15 minutes uncovered to brow that baby up. meat thermometer will register 160 degrees F along the leg bone.

Let the bird sit for about 10 minutes before carving.

Wine Recommendation: Lots or beer can be used as a well.

Enjoy!
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
bbbwb

Lose Something-Canada Geese

Post by bbbwb »

Mike P:
Thanks
You are very diplomatic and kind.Most people are more blunt

bbbwb
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Probably lured there from the sounds of a SAX being played in the backyard.

They always say music calms the beast I guess it works on geese as well.
Tenpoint Matrix
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Dereck wrote:Probably lured there from the sounds of a SAX being played in the backyard.

Or could it be that a certain sax player is hitting notes so "fowl" that the geese are drawn to them! :lol:
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Goose is good eating, I prefer goose over duck.... Taste really good smoked as well.... There is a fella in our hunting party that brings a bunch of smoked goose meat to camp every year, and mmmm mmmm is it good!

Sax, you can keep those geese, and we can send you more if you like... we have way to many geese around here... Hopefully I will be able to thin them out a bit this season :wink:
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
saxman

Post by saxman »

Mike P wrote:
Dereck wrote:Probably lured there from the sounds of a SAX being played in the backyard.

Or could it be that a certain sax player is hitting notes so "fowl" that the geese are drawn to them! :lol:
OUCH!!!!!! " FOWL"
Maybe I;ll "goose" the girl singer tonight and tell her I couldn't help it,I have a Canadian teacher
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011