Metro trophies!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

frisky

Post by frisky »

I don't think I would like to see either up close...
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

nasty bunch of critters i do say!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I have predicted for a couple of years now that the new record breaking bucks were going to come from urban areas. The habitat allows them to reach ages that deer in more rural areas seldom reach.

As far as hunting rural deer versus urban deer they each present their own challenges. Taking a mature whitetail buck in an urban setting is no walk in the park.

I hunt both venues every week. I hunt "the neighborhood" here where I live during the week. I hunt at our farm on weekends. The hunting is night and day different.

I don't like hunting the urban bucks on the weekends, too much activity, too many leaf blowers. Kids playing football, people on bikes, the activity level keeps the big boys down in their beds.

Weekday urban hunting is like a Broadway play that has been running for years. Everything happens at the same time. There is a pattern. Mr. Jones leaves for work. The school bus comes and goes. Mrs. Jones goes to exercise class. And the deer know these patterns very well. However, a hunters scent detected in a tree stand between Mrs. Smiths shed and the swing set in the Cleavers back yard still brings them to full alert. Placing yourself within thirty yards of a mature urban buck is most difficult.

Hunting the farm is way more relaxing. The only activity takes place with the wildlife. The deer pattern better then their suburban dwelling relatives. And placing yourself within thirty yards of a mature country buck is equally as difficult.

I am impressed with any hunter who takes a mature trophy whitetail regardless of the geography.

Suburban Dweller or Country Cousin, harvesting an old buck is a HUGE challenge.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Mike P wrote:Taking a mature whitetail buck in an urban setting is no walk in the park.
Very true. In some cases it isn't even legal. There are a number of localities that allow urban hunting in this area for population control and quite a few limit the hunting to doe only. If they want more participation they should at least dangle the carrot of a nice buck in front of hunters. I can shoot doe anywhere. And thats exactly what I hope to be doing in 36 hours. :)

DuckHunt
mikej

Post by mikej »

wow thats a big gator
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

That nest of rattlers reminds me of the spectacular effects of a quart jar filled w/ tide laundry soap and gasoline, set off by an M-80 on the lid.

Plastic jar of course.
"Eze 18:21"
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

awshucks wrote:the spectacular effects of a quart jar filled w/ tide laundry soap and gasoline, set off by an M-80 on the lid.

Plastic jar of course.
Homeland Security has been alerted to the potential threat posed by Mr. shucks.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I find urban deer harder. They are just as wild and they are well trained. Every day they see people and avoid people. They are very good at avoiding.

Rural deer are mostly surprised at the site of people, especially the first few days of the season.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I can say with a great deal of pride that every year I have been successful in arrowing a "shooter" tree.
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

Awshucks--Is the Tide soap to clean um up, so's you can skin em and fry um up?
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Nothing hard about the deer around DC in Md. I've harvested a lot and planning my sits with the moon transit is the ticket. These deer are not pressured and move accordingly. There are some big boys around the area but most will find there little honey hole to keep under cover till the rut then it's like any place else , you need to be there at the right time.
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

you'll get your biggest buck in a stand where you can hear a church bell. :D
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

mdcrossbow wrote:Nothing hard about the deer around DC in Md. I've harvested a lot and planning my sits with the moon transit is the ticket. These deer are not pressured and move accordingly. There are some big boys around the area but most will find there little honey hole to keep under cover till the rut then it's like any place else , you need to be there at the right time.

Just wondering mdcrossbow where are you in Md.?? your right city deer are easy if you know where to go

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

The rattlers give me the Willy's.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]