Question about coyote

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Undertaker

Question about coyote

Post by Undertaker »

I have them in the woods behind my house. I hear them howl every so often.

Just finished a fence, three boards with dog wire so that my puppy cannot escape. Neighbor said that coyote will jump the fence and eat my puppy.

I already know they eat puppies. But can they just leap right over ?
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
hawg hunter

coyotes

Post by hawg hunter »

What they can't jump they crawl over or dig under. when I was in 4h they killed my show sheep inside a 6ft tall fence.Ikilled him the next week when I got a blating lamb call and he had wool still in his teeth.
gogo

Post by gogo »

in our part of the country they used to be loners now they are in small packs. nothing is safe. if you can rid of him best do it
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

A fence will not stop them. If they want in bad enough, they will get in. Heck, they may even chew through the fence.

I kill a lot of them. I hunt them every year as soon as deer season closes. It is a labor of love. What I mean by that is I flat out love killing them.

Those single yotes you see do not live alone. They may be young males looking for new territories as the dominate males have run them off. Or they could be scouts checking territory boundaries, but trust me, they are going to reunite with their family unit.

Here in southern Ohio they are in groups from just two, a newly mated pair, to family units of eight or more not counting pups. They are most efficient in groups, they kill with uncanny cooperation. I hear so many say they only eat small game, mice, rabbits, fawns, etc. etc. Here they take down mature whitetails. They easily run the deer to exhaustion. When the deer can run no more and turns to face them, they split in two groups and attack it from the front and back in alternating lunges. I watched this very thing take place from my tree stand two years ago.

I used to see a lot of feral cats every time I would hunt here around the house. I never see any now. Dogs and cats have gone missing on a regular basis. And if you put a less then perfect shot on a whitetail some evening with your Excalibur, and you cannot retrieve the animal within an hour, the coyotes will. No deer is intact the next morning. And if it is a buck that you wanted to mount, forget it. They mess up the head ripping the whitetails tongue out!

I love killing them.

It is a labor of love.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

You said it all Mike.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

We lost a cat to coyotes this week, nobody here seems terribly concerned, so neither am I.
When you see a lone coyote it very likely isn't alone. When they get hungry they split up, one usually walks 10-15 yards in the bush while the other walks the bush edge in hopes of flushing something.
When you hunt them and you are patient, after you explode the first one a second is very likely to show it's self over the body of the first. Initially they appear to be alone, but it isn't common.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

It is strange that I've heard for years about coyotes killing little dogs and cats....but I've never known anyone who has lost one. Only someone who knows of someone who is a friend of a friend....

I found a dead coyote in one of our barns a couple years ago. It crawled in sometime during the winter. Nasty getting that out of there...
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Thanks. Had hoped you guys would have said he would be safe instead.

Mini schnauser. He is quite corageous, that is when he ain't scared. Wanted to leave him outside during the day while we are working. Darkness comes early in winter, long before we would get home. Plenty of time for a coyote to leap the fence, or dig under.

Gonna have to think about all this.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
huntone

Post by huntone »

MikeP is exactly right. I just retrieved this pic from my game camera
There are two coyotes in the pic and I know from the other pics
that there were at least four.

The next pic was taken this year early in the spring and early in the morning.
Looks like something pulled the deer down buy it's shoulder.
The deer was still warm. :evil:

The last pic is one of a good coyote :D

Image[/img]ImageImage
Image[/img]
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount