Field edge or woods?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Field edge or woods?

Post by ninepointer »

For those who hunt in farm country, do you prefer to locate your stands/blinds to hunt field edges, or do you locate in the forest, or do you change as the season progresses?

Most of my spots are set up for afternoon hunts and my stands tend to be located 10-50 yards inside the woods, in spots where I expect deer to pass through or to stage before they enter the fields. Having said this, last fall on opening day a buddy of mine hung his climber on a field edge, even though I told him that in 5 years I've never seen a deer walk past that spot. He shot a buck! :lol:

What's been working for you?
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
smokeshow

Post by smokeshow »

Kinda depends on the farm. I know my farm and a couple others I have permission on, I hunt just the edges. That's where the most traffic has been as they eat the corn and can duck in the woods for cover. Best of luck.
2009 Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-zone scope
Steady stix
Boltcutter broadheads
Fleming string
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

woods or 100 yards off a field edge..... every deer ive got mounted has some from in the woods. I see big deer in the fields, but always out of range. In the woods if you see one, its close and personal :P :D

during the early bow season ill hunt the field the first few days.. just to see whats moving from where
Gimpaw

Post by Gimpaw »

My favorite spot is where a main trail gets pinched between a swamp and a steep ridge. Never fails to produce a string of bucks especially during the rut.
I'll take the woods every time
"I was young and foolish; now I'm old and foolisher".
Mark Twain
Boo

Post by Boo »

In my experience the most action happens at the edges. If you are hunting antlers then look somewhere between 50 yards and the edge. It is a boring zone to be sure. Little action, but when it happens, it's good!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Fork Horn

Post by Fork Horn »

If you know where they are coming out into the field, set up 50-100 yards in the woods down wind 20 or so yrds from there trail. Often deer "stage" or look into the field from the woods for awhile before entering. usually these type of spots produce well in the evening.
But finding this out by trial and error is half the fun of hunting. :D :D
“A hungry dog hunts best”
Lee Trevino

Every time you kill a coyote an angel gets a set of wings. OK, I made that up. But it should be the case.
Mike P
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

I hunt both field edge and in the woods. You'll usually always see more sitting on the field edge but the hunting isn't always good. I still hunt both but tend to hunt the edge more the first 2 weeks of October and then more in the woods.

I also hunt in the woods early but one has to remember that we have lots of wild apple trees all over our woods. Great places to find bucks! I've found the trees that bear very little fruit tends to draw more bucks than the heavy producers. I've also found these spots good places to rattle in the second half of October.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
wabi

Post by wabi »

I usually hunt the edges. The farm I usually hunt has a good bit of timber with a few small overgrown fields. The deer regularly use the fields in their daily travels. A mature buck may take a few minutes to look things over before entering the field, but they will still cross them during daylight hours.
A stand a few feet back in the timber overlooking a trail along the edge works well. Last season I set a ladder stand in a field corner next to a creek crossing the deer use often. The cross the creek then travel across the field corner to a patch of timber. I told another hunter he was welcome to use the stand if I wasn't in it, and he killed three deer from it - one of them a nice 8 pointer!
About the only exception is when acorns are falling. Then a stand near a white oak is the prime place to hunt.
wabi
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I think you need two stands at first, one where you can shoot into the field or woods, you need this off of a well used trail,this is your evening hunt, you also need one in between feeding and bedding, most the time its hard getting to the stand with out messing with the deer in the fields going to it , so if you got to walk a mile or two to avoid this its well worth it. Wabi right about the acorns they need these anyway one of their main foods, after the fields are cut they still go out to them for awhile, but the white oaks come alive with everything in the woods, so you better have a stand or two in the white oak groves, just what I do

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers