Excalibur CrossBow screws

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fan of Fall

Excalibur CrossBow screws

Post by Fan of Fall »

Its my first year using a crossbow and I was wondering if its a good idea to put blue loctite on the screws and bolts that hold together the bow :?: I know Mr Troubridge tells you to use red loctite on the scope bracket. But I was wondering about all the other screws.

Thanks in advance :)
"Man is not free unless government is limited.... As government expands, liberty contracts."
(Ronald Reagan)
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I would prefer using the Blue over the Red. And I think it would be wise to use them on all of the screw.
Why ride when you can walk!
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome to the Forum :D
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
wabi

Post by wabi »

The only screws I've ever used loctite on were the 4 scope mount screws.
Used blue loctite on them and have never had any problems.
wabi
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

wabi wrote:The only screws I've ever used loctite on were the 4 scope mount screws.
Used blue loctite on them and have never had any problems.
Ditto!
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Used the blue glue stick style said medium on the tube no issues yet
Only 60 shots since scope attached though.
Tenpoint Matrix
Big John

b

Post by Big John »

I would also only recommend using the blue on the scope mounts only.
If you arent going to dismantle the riser form the rail ever then use it on those two bolts as well.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Esox

Post by Esox »

Double DITTO... on the blue Loctite....These x-bows will shake every screw loose if you don't get them down tight!....And you'll know it too, when all of a sudden your groups get wider and wider and you can't figure out why.... Always check the screws first.... then the form....
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Blue again...on all screws. After several session of accuracy going south, I loctighted everything. No more problems. And if you ever have to take it apart and used too much, tap a tight fitting bit into the slot and heat it. Heat will transfer to Loctite and soften it.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

WELCOME!!I use blue on all my scope mounts.
The best things in life are not things!!
Stash

Post by Stash »

A vote AGAINST using locktite on the scope mounting rail.

These are very small screws and requre a very tiny allen key. If for any reason you need to remove the mount, say, to repair the retaining clip, you will find that it's very easy to round out the screws or your allen key.

I'd suggest that you replace these round-headed screws with larger headed socket screws. THEN locktite them.

You should and periodically check over all the screws on your bow and tighten them down anyways.
Big D

Post by Big D »

The scope mount screws did loosen on my bow. I accidently bent my retention clip down with my stringer last year. I sent it to Dan Miller he had it back quickly and tighten the scope mount screws correctly. Two things to remember do not use the plastic sleeve on the stringer. I believe it was the reason I bent my clip because of its thickness it went above the retention clip and pushed it down. I just push the sleeve to one side when using the stringer. Dan also curled the front of the clip up so it will not happen again.

Good Luck Big D

Favorite Bible Verse: John 3:16
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I'd suggest that you replace these round-headed screws with larger headed socket screws. THEN locktite them.
Stash, been there done that, the cocking rope hooks hit the heads on the front ones on mine.

I'm fairly certain Bill would not advise red anywhere on the bow. Here's a lesson I learned the hard way.

If you use any loctite on the stock to rail screws, chase the threads on the screws w/ a steel nut to remove old dried loctite, it can cause your threaded holes in rail to strip. I no longer loctite them, nor diss pads.

Just the mount and stirrup screws works for me.
"Eze 18:21"
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Cossack wrote:Blue again...on all screws. After several session of accuracy going south, I loctighted everything. No more problems. And if you ever have to take it apart and used too much, tap a tight fitting bit into the slot and heat it. Heat will transfer to Loctite and soften it.
Thanks for the heating tip. Started to take off my scope mount so that I could mount the peep and sight it in as a backup to the scope. Stopped when I started to strip one of the scope mount screws but now, probably after hunting season, can give the heat melt idea a try.

Take care...

Ps. Hard to believe that a 65 years of age I still don't know it all! :)
Fan of Fall

Post by Fan of Fall »

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I think I will use the blue in small amounts. I knew you needed to use a soldering iron or something like that to heat the screws before removing them with loctite. That's one of the reason I post the question. But I was curious what you guys/gals had to say from experience.

Thanks
"Man is not free unless government is limited.... As government expands, liberty contracts."
(Ronald Reagan)