Refilling a Thermacell butane cartridge?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Refilling a Thermacell butane cartridge?

Post by Pydpiper »

A while ago I recall someone having some success with it, I don't want to be cheap but it seems like a good idea for as much as we use our 4 Thermacells..
I found an old cell in the shop last night, in a glue gun, it is far more robust then the current ones and I have decided to modify it for fun
For those who have tried this, where did you get the valve? I busted open a couple lighters last night but all the valves seem to be permanently attached to the surrounding plastic, and for good reason I am sure.
Is there a place to buy a threaded valve, or a particular butane device that will allow me to remove the valve?

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

There is one on the forum some where.
He talks about drilling and gluing valves he took out of other devises

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hp?t=27161

Found the link
Tenpoint Matrix
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Pydpiper: I used the refill nozzle from the bottom of a bbq lighter. I also found that if I drilled a larger hole in the thermacell cartridge than they recommended then I could fit the nozzle in with the o rings still attatched. I put the nozzle in just far enough so the orings were seated and then I mixed up some 5 min epoxy to put around the whole bottom of the cartridge, being very carefull not to get any in the valve. Befor you drill try to pick out that ball bearing that they use to shut the original hole, otherwise it will fall in. Try to keep all the shavings from drilling out too. Drill up with the cartridge upright. I actually just put a drill bit in a vise and man drilled :) Ive used mine a couple of times now and forgot to shut it off once, so I am glad I made it refillable! :lol:

If there is any plastic attatched to the donor vavle, breakit off. That step was hard to do carfully
Last edited by one shot scott on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Stash

Post by Stash »

As a cheaper alternative than new Thermacell cartridges, and safer than drilling valves and refilling :P , I understand that there are some sizes of butane cartridges used for hair dryers that will fit, and are considerably more economical.

Maybe someone knows the sizes?
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

Ilooked at the cart. for hair dryersat walmart.and they had thermacells name on them.they had no price on them.OK. if you get the cells what do you do for the wafers?
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Apparently you can buy the same ingredient at the pet store to re-soak the pads never tried it though.
Tenpoint Matrix
DH

Post by DH »

Dereck wrote:Apparently you can buy the same ingredient at the pet store to re-soak the pads never tried it though.
Do you know the name of this product ?
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

No I don't now the name but it is the active ingredient in the pads begins with a P
Tenpoint Matrix
DARTONATOR

Post by DARTONATOR »

The active ingredient is called Allethrin. It belongs to the class of materials called pyrethroids. There is 0.018 ounce of active ingredient on each mat. This information was found on VTARMYNAVY.COM. Hope this helps !