Bear hunt with results

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fratri

Bear hunt with results

Post by fratri »

Well after going up to bigr's opening day for bear and missing a bear from 30 yds, my heart dropped and left me with a bad empty feeling inside.....After some thought I decided if bigr had any active baits I'd go back up and give it another try....After speaking to Ray he said to give him a call in a week and he will try and get some bait active for me... After 3 or 4 days later Ray calls me up and tells me we are on, he has 4 active baits that my buddy and I can try... it looks good he says, so I am all excited and I am glad I did make it up for that second trip....

Here's the story....

we are pressed for time so we decided we would hunt sat. night-sun.morning-sun.night and monday morning if need be...

After an uneventful first night, Ray thought it would be a good idea to try a different bait that is active...Next morning I venture out to the bait, get all set up and about 9:10am call Ray and ask him to drop by and pick me up and we would go for breakfast....He says sure, be there at 9:30...So at 9:20 I get off my stand (have to go to bathroom really bad) I go do the nasty deed, look at my watch Ray should be here any minute..... So I decide I should reload my gun and go sit/stand next to the bait as I wait for Ray (he should be here any minute) I go over to the bait station and just waiting for Ray's truck to show up and get me...Well 5 mins goes by and I see movement holy crap its a bear lurking in the bush only 30-35 yds away...he is slowly walking around the far left side of the bait, I move in for a better view (5yds or so) and wouldn't you know it I hear Rays truck coming in to pick me up.. The bears head goes up toward the noise I figure now or never and bang.... The bear runs away no death moan, I wait for Ray to pull up and ask him to come over, I explain I shot less than 30 seconds ago, we walk over to the stop, I find my wad, but no blood no hair, that ugly feeling starts to sink in....no can't be not again feeling....

I start walking and after 10 yds I spot a small piece of blood, and 10 yds from that he is dead, it went through one shoulder out through the ribs on the other side, putting a big giant hole in his windpipe (hence no death moan) His insides were completely destroyed, I thought very little blood to show for that type of wound....(not like a deer)

Check it out as we are skinning/cleaning him (125lbs) we notice this..... From the position it looks like the arrow was shot from a tree stand, hit the backbone but did not break it... It was all healed over, so it must of been shot last year?
Never seen anything like this...it was embedded in the backbone....

Here he is as I found him....

Thanks bigr...it was great and I will see you again next year....
Last edited by fratri on Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everthing is easy when you know how"
"Food is not grown in stores"
Fratri
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Nice looking bear, CONGRATS!

Not often you go into the woods and come back with meat and broadheads. :lol: 8)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Congratulations!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Congratulations, Nice looking Bear 8)
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
saxman

Post by saxman »

Congrats my friend,great story also.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Big John

h

Post by Big John »

Congrats!! That will be one sweet tasting Bear! Young and tender! :)
I like the one's with the white throat patch. 8)
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
mikej

Post by mikej »

nice bear , congrats
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Fox

Post by Fox »

Nice bear