serving life

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

deerhunterlee

serving life

Post by deerhunterlee »

what does it mean bows have a serving life of 2 years or 150 shots ? is that the life of the string or what , thanks and i bought the equinox
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Serving is the thread-like material that is wound around the middle (and ends) of the bowstring to protect it from wear. 2 yrs of 150 shots is a meaningless statement. It depends on the bow's pull weight, the kind of string and how much you shoot it. If the hooks that hold back the string have rough edges, your serving could wear much sooner; esp on an Equinox. That bow is rated at 225 lbs pull-weight, that's a lot of weight to hold back.
Machine made strings (like the pones that come with the bow) tend to wear faster because the serving is applied relatively loose. The ones on the Equinox I had didn't last that long. Serving started to separate after less than 50 shots.
If your serving starts to separate, change the string or have it re served. Failure to do so will ruin the string.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

My experience has been anywhere from 50 for non-Boo served strings to 200-300 for Boo served strings.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Here's a thread that might interest you. The last post has three links that will tell you everything you need to know . . .and if you have more questions after that, then contact Boo. 8)

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ht=serving
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Stash

Post by Stash »

Geez, I've been away from a bow for almost a full week, and when I saw "serving life" I thought someone had gone to jail!!! :lol:
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Stash wrote:Geez, I've been away from a bow for almost a full week, and when I saw "serving life" I thought someone had gone to jail!!! :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

The serving on the Boo string I am using is lifetime!

I will not shoot the bow fifty times in the next ten years much less two hundred. :lol:
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Mike, I was the same about the servings until 3D and a few changes in strings and arrows (carbon to aluminum to carbon again) and the re-sighting in that comes with each change... now I chew through servings. It's almost enough to make me want to give up 3D :?
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

"Just curious?? Are the factory strings made strictly by machine."

That and sweat shops in third word counties. Neither one is conducive to a quality product. I had a factory string break, only to find out that the ends were not fastened in any way or even braided; just covered with the end serving.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Mike P wrote:The serving on the Boo string I am using is lifetime! I will not shoot the bow fifty times in the next ten years much less two hundred. :lol:

Yeah ... who needs to shoot one a lot?

After all, when we slobs and season-hogs use our "crossguns", they don't require any practice to be deadly and rifle-like ... so we've all been told, anyway! :roll: ROFL :P :P :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:
Grizz
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

planter wrote:

Just curious?? Are the factory strings made strictly by machine. :?
No . . .the serving is put on my hand. However, not in the same manner as a Boo serving. Boo prestretches his string and conditions it. When he is ready to put on the serving, he stretches the string VERY tight as he serves.

Dan Miller has been working hard to improve the serving life on the Excalibur strings. The adjustments have made the serving last a little longer. Still doesn't compare to a Boo.

If I were to buy an Excalibur string, then I'd call Dan Miller directly.

All kidding aside . . .these Excaliburs are so accurate, it gets boring shooting them. I have to get out the recurve for a shooting challange. Not sure if I want to know what ROFL means. :shock: :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

The factory servings don't last too long, got 200-300 shots on the two I used on my Ibex.

Re-served them using the materials & methods prescribed by Dr. Boo, with great results so far. The first one has over 900 shots on it (no joke) & still good. Took that one off the crossbow to keep as a broken-in spare for hunting season. The other has maybe 200 or so & is on the Ibex right now.

I don't know if you can expect 900+ out of anything on that beast they call the Equinox, given it's 50 lbs heavier & has a more acute string angle when cocked. Just wanted to point out that with a small investment in a good serving tool & some sort of homebrewed stretching jig, you can get much better results than 150 shots per serving. Spigarelli makes a great serving tool that can be had for ~$20, & I scrounged materials for the stretching jig. Most expensive part of the deal was the roll of serving material (.026" Angel Majesty, about $25 if memory serves). But that spool will serve a lot of strings.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

R.O.F.L. = ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.