To the Compound Shooters!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

huntman

To the Compound Shooters!

Post by huntman »

Hey guys I am new to the compound world with the purchase of my Parker Blackhawk XP late last bow season. I have been practicing with it and truly enjoy shooting a compound.
When i purchased it I was as "green" as they come to compounds and the gent that sold it to me put a "Movable pin sight" (one singal pin that the shooter has to adjust the yardage). I am not a big fan of this I think it is not practical for hunting. I want someones reccomendation on the best "Fixed Pin Sight" with four or five pins. I have looked at the Tru Glu but there are so many, anyone have any advise?
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Wow, the market is flooded with all kinds of great sights fixed pin or otherwise. I personally would not recommend more than 3 pins for hunting; you could get a sight with more and then drop the bottom pins come hunting season. I missed a deer because I had a green pin for both 20 yards and 50 yards. I suggest you go to Cabela's online catalog and check out the many sights available and read the reviews.

Now with all the above having been said I think that some great arguments can be made for using a single pin for hunting the Northeast woods. On a fast bow you could maybe set the one pin for 25 yards and do well shooting 0-35 yards. I suggest you give your single adjustable pin sight a chance, adjust it for 25 yards and see how you shoot with it a varying hunting distances.

Good luck...
Boo

Post by Boo »

I use only use two pins. With the faster bows you have pins so close that they clutter your sight picture.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
munch

Post by munch »

i use 3 pins but 90% of all the deer i shoot are shot with my 20yard pin i like vertical pins over horizontal (trophy ridge)
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

1 pin is all you need... just raise or lower the bow to adjust for yardage.. It takes to much time to move that pin up and down and espically under a stressful moment every second counts ;)

I use the team xtreme sights.. they have 3 pins, but again I use only 1 90% of the time. I have the 2nd pin set for 40 though.. the 3rd is out of the way. Less pins there helps for a better picture when shooting also
wabi

Post by wabi »

Depending on the speed of your arrow one pin is often the best option for hunting.
I like the type sight you're using. Sight it in @ about 25 yards and lock it in place and you're good for any deer within 30 yards if the arrow is reasonably fast.
If you want to target practice or 3-D shoot you can use the adjustments for precise shooting.
wabi
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

The best way to know what works for you is to have a look at it in real life and try as many different sights as you can.

Here is some food for thought. In my case, I like to have my peep just slightly larger than my (round) pin housing. The reason for this is it quickly lines up my sight picture and helps repeat a constant anchor and same view every time.

My sight picture looks something like this.

Some people prefer to centre each pin with the peep but for me, this is the most consistant and allows full picture of the target at all ranges.

My sight is the Sure Loc Lethal Weapon (see below)and it allows a ton of light to get through. get yourself a tru ball super peep. It is great as it allows you to swap the insert out and get the one that matches your sight.

Some other stuff you need to consider. Pin lighting! Do you want wrapped fiber optic, short fiber optics or a battery powered light? In my case, I prefer a battery powered light. here is why. The wrapped fiber otics are great for capturing all the light needed to see the pins at dusk/dawn but during the day, especially a nice winter day, I find (my personal opinion) the pins are too bright and blur on me. Witha multi setting light, I can shoot without the retina surgery during the day and add light as needed as things get dark. I know the risk of running a battery dead exists but if you carry a spare and check them before you getin your tree, you should be ok. At least this way, your pins brightness is under your control and not mother natures.

Next is pin size. Again, a personal preference. For me, when target shooting, I like a .019 fiber and as small a pin as I can find. In my sight, I use what they call a "razor" pin. It is made of steel and is as thick as paper when viewed from the front. My fiber optics almost float in the air allowing me to see other peoples arrows in 3D. For hunting though, I go with a .029 fiber optic and solid ass pins to hold them. The larger fiber optic means less notice of pin movement and less target panic. The big pins are also less likely to break if I get a twig inthe sight housing. Again, personal preference comes into play. What works for me, doesn;t always for for the next guy.

My advice is go to a place like Shooters, look at all the sights there and try one or two on your bow. You may decide that what looks cool does not work well. You may also get lucky and find a sight that looks damn cool, and works like a charm for you.

I have seen an increase in G5 sights on peoples bow lately and they seem to be happy.

The choices are endless. Get an idea of what you want and get out there and try as many as you can to help make your decision.

Hope this helps
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_17947.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/725352.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/01.jpg[/img][/url]
Stash

Post by Stash »

Stick with something all-aluminum, with good, protected fiber-optics with a lot of fiber, removeable pins and the option of adding a light. A level is a really good idea.

For hunting, 3 pins is plenty as has been said. If you get a 5-pin, you can always take a couple off and have them as spares. Also, for hunting, avoid the ones with gimmicks - you don't need micro-adjust, 3rd axis, dovetail mounts, etc. Keep it as simple as possible and you'll have less to go wrong.

There are different sizes of fiber-optics, depending on how good your eyesight is. If you're very good you can try micro at .010". For good to averge eyesight, .019", and for half blind, .029".

There are lots of good models in various price ranges. Expect to pay in the $80-100 range for decent quality.

You're in Vaughan - why not stop by the Bass Pro and have a look at the selection, and get an idea of what's out there.
fuel80guy

Post by fuel80guy »

I have a cobra boomslang sight and love it.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

There was a great video I saw where a guy had one pin and demonstrated with 1 pin sighted in at 23yds he could hit a nine inch circle from 5yds to 45 yds aiming at the center of the target each time.
But this is personal choice if you like the multi pin sights then go for it but I would recommend trying a few out at your local shop to see which one works for you.
Tenpoint Matrix
michiganman

sights

Post by michiganman »

i tree stand hunt only and we always used a pendulum sight.from 0 dead on to 35 yards. i shot a predator model,and trophy ridge makes a good one also.

for a fixed pin,i would not go beyond a 3 pin model,unless you are prarie hunting.montana black gold is the brightest pin i ever used.trophy ridges inline sight is also a great sight.many choices here,i shot a pendulum for 20 years,untill disability.my 4 other brother and nephews also shoot them.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
huntman

Post by huntman »

Thanks guys, I am happy to hear how many people are in favour of the system I am using. Like i said I wasnt to experienced but I am learning day to day. I shot the bow again tonight and you guys are bang on, the point of impact only changed slightly from 20-40 yards. So I can use the same setting up to 40 yards. Im not too sure I would be letting an arrow fly at 40 yards for at a deer anyways. Thanks for the help
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i only have 3 pins up to 20, 30 and 40 yrds .... only comfortable shooting those distances do no need for 5 pins etc .... my brother just picked up a new bow and it shoots one pin dead on up to 30 yrds ....