Knives???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

Planter is dead on correct. I work in a food store and do alot of food prep, espicially cutting. i have two chef knives, one produce knive, and a boning knive. i also have a flat steel which works awesome. I too take my knives home everyday. if you go to a food store there are alot of oversharpened knives that you can buy really cheap and then get them reground.
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
paul01

;)

Post by paul01 »

I'm not really familiar with Skinning Knife, but i have now my rambo knife
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

S30V is the finest cutlery grade steel I know of. It holds an edge 45% longer that 420HC and is easy to sharpen. Cabelas has both Buck and Gerber hunting knives featuring this steel, and they're relatively inexpensive.

Cabela's offers and Alaskan Guide Series Buck 110 folder in S30V, too.
Last edited by GaryDowdy on Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizzly Adam

Re: ;)

Post by Grizzly Adam »

paul01 wrote:I'm not really familiar with Skinning Knife, but i have now my rambo knife
Welcome to the forum, Paul! :D
Grizz
xbhntr

knives

Post by xbhntr »

I too am interested in a new knife. Anyone own a Outdoor Edge Swing Blade. Redhead, Cabelas and Bass Pro sell them for $60.00 plus. Do they hold an edge and does the gutting blade really work? Ray.
sumner4991

Re: knives

Post by sumner4991 »

xbhntr wrote:I too am interested in a new knife. Anyone own a Outdoor Edge Swing Blade. Redhead, Cabelas and Bass Pro sell them for $60.00 plus. Do they hold an edge and does the gutting blade really work? Ray.
Might be time to buy one Ray . . .on sale . . .$49.99

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/commo ... stid=54828

I'm guessing it locks in place. I like the gutting blade, looks like it would work much better than a gut hook.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

I have to go with the Grohman as well :D

I am on my third one which I have had for close to 20 years :D

The first 2 I wore out as my father & I ran seperate trapline so they got EXTREMELY well used with skinning just about anything that was classed as a furbearing critter :shock:

I love the shape of the blade for skinning but it is not good for field dressing, for this I have an old (35+ years) Case XX which looks like the Buck 110.

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
Island Hunter

Post by Island Hunter »

I have been using that little Old Timer that houndogger has and I've had know problems with it. Last night I happened to go on the Horizontal Bowhunter Magazine site, and they had, what look to be some good looking knives on there. Has anyone ever tried these knives out. They really had some beautiful knives on there, with custom sheathes.
(2013) MATRIX 355
Tact-Zone scope
18" Diablo's
150gr Boltcutters
Danny's Flemish String
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers
(2009) EXOMAX 350
Varizone Scope
20" Fire Bolts
150gr Boltcutters
Ground Pounder Mount
Boo Strings
STS
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Got #4 of my custom knives not too long ago.

The blade is the 440 stainless. The handle material is a burly piece of Osage Orange (hedge apple). This one is smaller than the others I had made, mainly to be used on squirrels and such. I cleaned 2 squirrels with it last Sunday and it did a heck of a job! :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Gerber is giving away a Santiam Knife with any $50 or more purchase. Like getting two for the price of one.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Here is a good website that compares S30V to other steel . . .

http://www.dougritter.com/pop_up_cpms30v.htm

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
blackjack

Re: Knives???

Post by blackjack »

g'day. l like case knives myself usa made, l have 300 in my collection buck & the real schrade made in the usa are also great. if you really want a great knife puma but the early models also tree brand germany stainless...best regards frank p.s take your time choosing you have the best in the world at your finger tips at a fare price as well...
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
prossbow

Post by prossbow »

Griz, you really should be in sales(if you aren't).

I scanned ebay lastnight and found the skinning knife you posted and it was cheaper than any of the websites that I had found that ships to Canada, and the shipping was only 4 dollars...
Husband of one, Father of two, Brother of three, Friend of many.

2017 Micro Suppressor
2009 Vortex
hawg hunter

Post by hawg hunter »

I've used all kinds of knives in my 60 plus yrs. By far one ofthe best knives used is a Grohman made in Canada. Cold Steel makes a copy of this knife and it has good steel SS stays reasonaly sharp ,easy to sharpen and is very reasonably priced. I use my Grohman every day this time of the yr. For a folder you cannot beat the Eye Brand Sod buster with carbon steel blade.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

One thing I found out this season was that the new blades are a ton better than the blades from 30 years ago. I thought my old knives were just fine, they were still cutting. However, I gut and skin on average of 8-10 deer per year. Most of those in a three or four day span. I'm usually the designated gutter and skinner . . .I actually enjoy doing the job. :P

I need a knife that can take the abuse or I need several knives. My old knife was needing sharpening after every deer, sometime during the first deer I'd have to switch knives. My new one, a Ka-Bar(thanks planter, you are awesome dude) will last two deer, or a little more, depending on the size of the deer. That little knife is a joy to use next to my old blades. I used it exclusively on gutting, skinning and cutting up all the deer this year. That's a nice knife.

I got a pocket sharpener and that helps. Don't care to carry the WartHog around. :lol:

I just found out my cousin is sending me a Hen & Rooster german stainless sheath knife. I should have it tomorrow! I can't wait to slice something open!! Christmas is coming early this year . . .actually, it started a month or two ago.

Anyway, based on my experience with the Ka-Bar, it's certainly time to get rid of the old blades and bring in some new ones. I can't believe I'm been using these old blades for so long.

I'm thinking about putting my old knives in a shadow box for display. I got some interesting old blades. Seems a shame to have them in a closet. Anybody got some on display? Give me some ideas.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen