Knives???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

prossbow

Post by prossbow »

Griz, you really should be in sales(if you aren't).

I scanned ebay lastnight and found the skinning knife you posted and it was cheaper than any of the websites that I had found that ships to Canada, and the shipping was only 4 dollars...
Husband of one, Father of two, Brother of three, Friend of many.

2017 Micro Suppressor
2009 Vortex
hawg hunter

Re: Knives???

Post by hawg hunter »

I've used all kinds of knives in my 60 plus yrs. By far one ofthe best knives used is a Grohman made in Canada. Cold Steel makes a copy of this knife and it has good steel SS stays reasonaly sharp ,easy to sharpen and is very reasonably priced. I use my Grohman every day this time of the yr. For a folder you cannot beat the Eye Brand Sod buster with carbon steel blade.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

One thing I found out this season was that the new blades are a ton better than the blades from 30 years ago. I thought my old knives were just fine, they were still cutting. However, I gut and skin on average of 8-10 deer per year. Most of those in a three or four day span. I'm usually the designated gutter and skinner . . .I actually enjoy doing the job. :P

I need a knife that can take the abuse or I need several knives. My old knife was needing sharpening after every deer, sometime during the first deer I'd have to switch knives. My new one, a Ka-Bar(thanks planter, you are awesome dude) will last two deer, or a little more, depending on the size of the deer. That little knife is a joy to use next to my old blades. I used it exclusively on gutting, skinning and cutting up all the deer this year. That's a nice knife.

I got a pocket sharpener and that helps. Don't care to carry the WartHog around. :lol:

I just found out my cousin is sending me a Hen & Rooster german stainless sheath knife. I should have it tomorrow! I can't wait to slice something open!! Christmas is coming early this year . . .actually, it started a month or two ago.

Anyway, based on my experience with the Ka-Bar, it's certainly time to get rid of the old blades and bring in some new ones. I can't believe I'm been using these old blades for so long.

I'm thinking about putting my old knives in a shadow box for display. I got some interesting old blades. Seems a shame to have them in a closet. Anybody got some on display? Give me some ideas.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

I really enjoy the display cases from Smokey Mtn. Knife works. http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/pr ... &SKU=DS390
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

EQUINOXHNTERVA wrote:I really enjoy the display cases from Smokey Mtn. Knife works. http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/pr ... &SKU=DS390

Those look good, especially for the price. I need to take a look at how many knives I have. Some are hand me downs, so they are old and worn out. LOL. Some look neat, but, none have any value.

I like your avatar . . .is that you on the hood? :D

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
charles1

Post by charles1 »

I really enjoyed looking at the pics, there are different kind of knives over there.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

charles1 wrote:I really enjoyed looking at the pics, there are different kind of knives over there.
Welcome to the forum.

I am turning into a knife freak after starting this thread . . .I want them all.LOL.

charles1. . .where are you located?

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
BUS314

Re: knife

Post by BUS314 »

houndogger wrote:This is the knife that I carry. I love it. Hope i never "misplace this one"

Dogger

Man, I had one of those for 20 yrs---broke the tip off finally

Use a custom made Hamilton knife from Healy Ks. now---Dean happens to be my cousin :D
AKA-ChoctawBusGuy
Excal Phoenix
VariZone
GT II's w/ brass inserts
SlickTrick 125's
STS
Boo String
Double Bull DarkHorse
darwin

Post by darwin »

I have different kinds of knife. My only purpose was for my self protection. I brought my knife wherever i go.
bbbwb

Post by bbbwb »

A knife is a very personal or individual item it seems. Over the years I have tried different knives. It is what handles best in the task at hand that determines the choice. I have the Russell belt knife -- trout and bird model now made by Grohman, since 1965. I use it for gutting deer, skinning, and for small game. I also have the Buck 110 and 112 folding knives. The smaller-112 is very good for working in the body cavity because of its size. My daughter gave me a Victorinox ,9 function (including toothpick and tweezers) which she brought back when she visited Germany. 1 blade is curved with rounded nose for opening up an animal for field dressing.The completely round nose is excellent when opening as I have never nicked an internal organ. I only use it for this purpose. In all the Victorinox displays, I have never seen this knife.These knives have become my favourites when going hunting. The blades of these knives hold their edge well and sharpen /touch up well. I use ceramic sharpeners and above all am very particular in using that they are not abused.
I have Gerber, Fiskars as well as many other sheathed hunting knives. Folding blades of Schrade etc- all of good quality - both carbon and mostly 440 stainless, but do not handle as well in some tasks.
For butchering, deboning, I use a F.Dick curved 6 " high carbon -no stainless knife. It steels well and works excellent.I have a Cutco deboning knife (straight blade) that is very good for cutting and trimming meat. I have similar curved bladed knives that I have picked up cheap at sports stores --- they handle well but not as nice as the Dick.
A knife is the outdoorsman's best friend. Respect it, use it, don't abuse it, and it will last you your lifetime.

bbbwb
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Well, I too ordered some of those knives Grizzly mentioned-Forschner, by Victorinox.

Scary sharp. Ordered the boning and 2 fillet knives. The little woman took the boning knife inside, and then she said it stays there. Been too cold to catch fish, but from the feel, they will work perfectly.

It was a great recommendation, thanks.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
awshucks

Re: knife

Post by awshucks »

BUS314 wrote:
houndogger wrote:This is the knife that I carry. I love it. Hope i never "misplace this one"

Dogger

Man, I had one of those for 20 yrs---broke the tip off finally

Use a custom made Hamilton knife from Healy Ks. now---Dean happens to be my cousin :D
You Sharp finger fans can make a big improvement on those knives if you take a Dremel w/ a cut off wheel and put a small "V" at the back of the blade. This allows you to sharpen the whole blade vs that front 1 1/2" or so. They are a bear to sharpen, but will hold an edge a long long time.
"Eze 18:21"
saxman

Post by saxman »

I have never cared for an upswept/clip point knife
I prefer a drop point.
The sharpfinger is a great old knife.
Perfect for cutting around the anus
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Dunn14

Post by Dunn14 »

I use a Remington knife, It holds a real good edge for a long time.
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

i have been cutting meat for 25years in a shop in the cutting room and on the kill floor .my advice is to go to a restaurant nad butcher suply store and buy the best ones you can aford .these knives will out last most any other knive you can buy .as far as a steel goes buy the best a( DICK ) flat or round is up to you .the older knives had wood handels now thy have a plastic of sorts easy to clean .i will post pics of mine DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver