Knives???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Knives???

Post by sumner4991 »

OK guys, I finally lost my skinning knife. If I were going to misplace one, this is the one I would have "misplaced". I bought it 30 years ago and it never did keep a good edge and it was hard to get the edge in the first place.

I'm looking at replacing this knife in the next couple of weeks if I can't find the old one(I'm not actively looking). I know some of you guys are really into knives, so here's what I want . . .what do you suggest?

I want a solid all around skinning knife that I can also use to field dress. Needs to be easily sharpened and keep a razor edge. I kind of like the folding knives, but, am not opposed to any style.

Suggestions?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

My favorite is a Winchester Slim Trapper with carbon steel blades. I am using one I bought in 1982 and has gutted and skined over 70 deer. Don't make the Carbon any more but you can find them new on Ebay sometimes.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
houndogger

knife

Post by houndogger »

This is the knife that I carry. I love it. Hope i never "misplace this one"

Dogger
You gotta squeeze the trigger Harley. Don't yank it, It's not your d#$!.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Gerber folding has a bone saw and comes with a separate gut hook tool holds an edge very well.

Will send you a pic later
Tenpoint Matrix
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

any gerber is good...

I just bought some cutco knives this year.. they sharpen them for free and replace them if anything ever breaks or if they cant resharpen it..

they are 80bucks now.. I got 2 and need to get rid of one.. they are extremely sharp! These have the blaze orange handle(fixed blade model also).

one heck of a knife!
wabi

Post by wabi »

As with all knives manufacturing has been outsourced on many of the best brands. Even the Puma I bought a couple years ago is now made in China.
I bought it for a lightweight (easy to carry by just slipping it in my back pocket) but useful for field dressing knife. I find it's very good for working in close quarters when I'm working by feel up inside the deer's chest cavity.
Holds an edge reasonably well, and isn't too hard to sharpen on a good diamond stone.
Puma Rattler
wabi
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I also have the Old Timer sharp finger that dogger has and I have cleaned quite a few deer with it and it holds its edge well. Last season I received a a GR1 Grohmann Canadian belt knife as a gift. I didn't have a chance to use it last year as I missed much of the season due to some health issues. I really like the shape of the blade and the feel of it in my hand so I am really looking forward to using it this year on a deer. I wasn't happy with how sharp it was out of the box so the first thing I did was sharpen it. I am very particular about the sharpness of my blades though so take it FWIW. Here is a link

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r1s.html

I also have a buck folder that I have had for near thirty years. I never used it to clean a deer, but I broke the tip of the blade off digging out a slug and I sent it back to buck to fix under their life time warranty. They replaced the blade and I had it back in pretty short order. No questions, no hassles, just quick and efficient customer service.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I only carry one of these, the little Rawhide series it gets it done, top left to right old case, rawhide, two folding cases, bottom L to R schrade, schrade with hook, sharp, sharp, and a buck, I've got more don't know where right now, I want a folding locking Case xx they seem to hold a better edge than most

Wes

"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
TPM

Post by TPM »

The #1 Grohmann is an awesome knife. Looks a little strange but performs beautifully. I used one of those Schrade Sharpfingers for skinning a few years ago and it worked quite well. Have never used it for field dressing.
I truly believe there is no one "do-all" knife out there. I generally use a drop point marketed by Remington a few years ago for field dressing and a dedicated skinning knife for skinning. I used to do a lot of skinning for a large deer camp back in the 1990's and this Buck skinner is by far the best skinning knife I ever used.

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?eve ... uctid=3039

One thing I want to mention and I know some people will disagree but I HATE gut hooks on field dressing knives.Image They really do work well for opening up a deer but that hook is a PIA while doing the rest of the job. I cleaned a deer with a borrowed one once and that hook was getting caught up on everything while working inside the deer.
One knife I always recommend is the Buck Vangaurd. Well designed, good quality knife at a reasonable price.

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?eve ... uctid=2925
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
huntone

Post by huntone »

I also would recommend the Buck Vanguard. I don't use it,
but would get one if I needed a deer knife. Cabelas has them
in a good steel, S30V, in the Alaskan Guide series.

I've used a Lile knife for 15 years and it has sentimental value,
you know how it is.
Last edited by huntone on Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Sumner, there aren't many equipment choices that I have real strong opinions on, but this is one of the areas where I will gladly state my experience and preference. I have worked up a mountain of deer meat over the years, and for the last 12 years I've used only two knives to get my deer skinned and in the cooler (I leave a denuded skeleton hanging on the gambrel):

Forschner Fibrox Series:

5" Skinner

5" Boner

My reasoning when I bought these was this:

If butchering deer was my goal, why not find out what knives most butchers use? I checked with several butchering and meat-packing and preparing facilities ... and they all used these, and recommended them. And I thought: If they use these all day long, day after day, with good effect, why wouldn't a set serve me for a lifetime?

My own experience has shown me that for the purpose intended, these simple working knives are light years better than many fancy folding or fixed blade "hunting" or "skinning" knives, with their clunky, too-thick blades.

Forschner, by Victorinox.

Good steel
Stainless
Easy sharpening
Ergonomic, non-slip impregnable handle
Function designed, time proven
Used by professionals
Economical

Like so many, you can pay an arm and a leg for something knives that won't work nearly so well ... but it's hard to beat the real thing, buddy. :D

I'd suggest you get yourself a pair of these.

And a good steel.

I'll bet you won't be sorry. 8)

A good source:

http://www.cadcutlery.com/knife.htm
Grizz
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I am with houndogger that {old timer} is a GREAT knife. I have my fathers and it just keeps on getting it done.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

Green River knives. I use a skinning knife and a boning knife. Inexpensive, easy to sharpen, and if they were good enough for Kit Carson, they're good enough for me. Even after all these years, still made in the US.

Joe
Oops! forgot you're in Canada, O! Well, let me tell ya, I'm sure many a Canadian trapper used these in the mid 1800's.
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: I carry the Grohman #4 Survival & the #2 Trout & Bird knife with me & they are awesome! Have had them for over 25 years now! Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I bought a new Vanguard this year to try, it gets great reviews.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string