walking in the dark

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

huntfishfam

Post by huntfishfam »

I "think" my way to my stand in the dark.........It's usually a short thought process :D :D Then I use an LED light the rest of the way, but spareingly.
Sean
I hunt,I fish,I am
Get clean, lean and healthy with isagenix. I can show you how.
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

I don't have anything more to contribute that hasn't already been covered except I whole-heartedly second the use of clear safety glasses. I've been wearing them for many years after seeing people lose eyes to branches and almost losing one myself. I also wear them at night when boating, ATVing, motorcycling etc to prevent getting hit in the eyes by bugs.

I'd really like to hear what DanO's walk in is like. Could you please elaborate DanO? I searched but nothing really relevant came up. Thanks!
dutchhunter

lights

Post by dutchhunter »

i carry a flash lite in my hand when walking in the dark .more then once i have shown it around the corner and liote up a hunter that should not have been there .i doo not want anybody shooting at me in the dark .i find i can see very well in the dark and us the light just to let others now were i am .be safe all and good luck DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Depending on the stand I am hunting I may or may not use a flashlight. A couple stands are a must, just too darn dark, ie. can't see hand in front of face, in the thick stuff especially when there is no moon.

I also use reflective tape, bought in rolls. Tear small pieces off and nail them to the base of trees so when I use a light it is pointing at the ground.

Keep a roll of reflective tape in your pack for tracking deer in the evening, much easier to see then flagging tape.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
will dog

Post by will dog »

I'm always looking for something cheap. I cut up old license plates in dime size pieces and tack them to trees marking my trail in and out. Then use the hat light with green lens. Works great.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Cap light or headlamp.
I use the green ligh as well.
I also carry a spare white light for after dark recoveries or skinning chores
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i 'd rather use a little light than crash thru the bush get off trail ...usually the bush is so think i'd never find my spot with out markers and light
knobby

Post by knobby »

I do like crazyfarmer

I wear a headlamp and keep it pointed to the ground a short distance in front of me. If the light spooks game then I will just have to live with that cuz I gotta see where I am goin. I tend to be much quieter getting to my stand when I can see where I am placing my feet.

And when I hunt WV I sometimes carry a handheld too.

Because of 600lb bears ! haha
and rattlesnakes
and copperheads
and the always rumored to exist mountain lion

Every bear I have run in to has always gone the other way once they knew I was there. But I worry about baby bear on one side of the trail...mamma bear on the other side of the trail...and me in the MIDDLE...in the DARK

:shock:
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) What I have found that works pretty good is to buy the black reflective tape and place on the cheap 99 cent thumb tacks . Darned invisible in the daytime but lights up at night . :)
Fan of Fall

Post by Fan of Fall »

I use a head light. I don't like tripping and walking into spider webs anymore than anyone else. I put reflective tacks on the tree that I climb up in. I usally know my way in but I like to put the tacks on so I can find my tree quicker. I have walked up to porcupines before in the dark and I'm glad I had my light. :D
If you are not sure of your way around the land I would mark trees with the reflective tacks every 50 yds. They stick out pretty good in the dark when the light hits them.
"Man is not free unless government is limited.... As government expands, liberty contracts."
(Ronald Reagan)
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I forgot one other good reason to use a light around here ... some of you will understand this, others won't ... depends on where you live:

FIREANTS!

Note: I'd rather run into a 600 lb. bear than step or stand in a big fireant mound. :evil:
Grizz
bill morrison

Post by bill morrison »

surprisingly no one mentioned using gps unit,just waypoint each stand location and when ready to return to that stand, call up that waypoint and do a "go to" trust the unit and follow the direction indicator. when unit says arriving at destination you can reach out and touch the blind or tree that the stand is in. allows for minimum use of a light and no flags or reflectors to give your location away to others
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Typically, there is enough moonlight to get me into the woods and to my stand.

However, I have a flashlight in my hand, anyway. I figure the deer can see me regardless, I may as well be safe.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) It can be found in the trailer section of your automotive store . If not let me know . I know where it is the local Canadian Tire here . :lol: