walking in the dark

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DanO

Post by DanO »

Minimal light is a good idea but I've learned on this board that the pace of your walk into your stand is what really counts. I used to walk quietly and fairly quickly to minimize the amount of time I spent on the ground. More time to let the bush settle down once I'm in the stand. Wrong!

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
huntone

Post by huntone »

I also wear a head lamp, keeps my hands free and sometimes
I need about four hands. :wink:
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
maple

Post by maple »

Car headlights don't seem to scare them. Don't see why a flashlight would.

Maple
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

I go walking in the dark! If you do this you better know the woods very well! I've ended up in the wrong spot more than once :oops: But for the most part I walk with no light on. I always have a light incase I need it, but rarely use it. If I turn my light on it usaully is to find the blood trail! :D
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Reasons to walk in with a light here on my farm:

Timber Rattlers

600 lb. bears

Copperheads

600 lb. bears

Cottonmouths

600 lb. bears

Pygmy Rattlers

600 lb. bears

Tripping, falling, getting my eye poked out, etc.

600 lb. bears

The possibility of some trigger-happy idiot shooting me, however slight

600 lb. bears

Because lights don't bother deer

600 lb. bears

:P :P :lol: :lol:
Grizz
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Thats a Good one :lol: :lol: :lol:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have a new headlamp that I am going to try this year, on it's lowest setting it will do .2 lumen, close to 200 on it's highest setting.
It always nice to get a new flashlight in to the woods before the season starts up, color rendition from an LED can play tricks on you.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Grizz, you are better off driving a tank to your stands :P

ive tried the no light thing and its fine for open woods and fields. I dont bother with a light then. Normally my first outting deep into the woods I'll use a light. After 2-3 trips I can go in blindfolded.

I have ended up in the wrong spot 3-4 times before without a light. Its amazing how the woods changes at dark, even if you have walked it your whole life.

btw, we have spiders the size of birds here.. I HATE walking into those webs in the dark during the early season
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

crazyfarmer wrote: btw, we have spiders the size of birds here.. I HATE walking into those webs in the dark during the early season
No doubt! We do too ... lots of black widows, too.

I used to take comfort in knowing that most widows prefer being close to ground level, until I had one fall on my shoulder in an outbuilding of mine.

Guess there always has to be that "wild card" critter out there. :? :(

Good to keep in mind concerning all other critters ... people, too! :P
Grizz
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Grizzly Adam wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote: btw, we have spiders the size of birds here.. I HATE walking into those webs in the dark during the early season
No doubt! We do too ... lots of black widows, too.

I used to take comfort in knowing that most widows prefer being close to ground level, until I had one fall on my shoulder in an outbuilding of mine.

Guess there always has to be that "wild card" critter out there. :? :(

Good to keep in mind concerning all other critters ... people, too! :P
ants really annoy me... nothing like sitting in your stand 16ft off the ground to look over and see ants on your jacket everywhere. Yellow hornets also like to play games with me when im up the tree. Not fun for me :cry:
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

I usually have clothespins with reflective tape on them from Walmart Auto Dept. Just peel and trim with scissors. It don't take much light to follow this trail. Hopefully my climber is still locked on the tree. Use gloves to attach pins and wear rubber boots. A red light won't show the pins tho. Just pick them up on your way out and use else where.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Red light, head light. Can change it to white or blinking.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Michihunter

Post by Michihunter »

I use a mini mag as well and keep it pointed at the ground. I currently hunt public land in northern Michigan. One thing I might suggest to everyone walking to their blind in the dark. Buy a pair of safety glasses and wear them while walking. I almost lost my left eye two years ago when a sharp pine limb hit my eye straight on as I walked in the dark. There was snow on the ground and even though it was 5:30am I could see really good to make my way to my blind. Been doing this for 45 years and all it takes is one mistake... The Dr. said the limb almost complete penetrated my cornea.
huntfishfam

Post by huntfishfam »

I "think" my way to my stand in the dark.........It's usually a short thought process :D :D Then I use an LED light the rest of the way, but spareingly.
Sean
I hunt,I fish,I am
Get clean, lean and healthy with isagenix. I can show you how.
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

I don't have anything more to contribute that hasn't already been covered except I whole-heartedly second the use of clear safety glasses. I've been wearing them for many years after seeing people lose eyes to branches and almost losing one myself. I also wear them at night when boating, ATVing, motorcycling etc to prevent getting hit in the eyes by bugs.

I'd really like to hear what DanO's walk in is like. Could you please elaborate DanO? I searched but nothing really relevant came up. Thanks!