broad head help

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

deerhunterlee

broad head help

Post by deerhunterlee »

hey guys well now i need help on broad heads , i tried the wasp buss 100 grain 3 fixed blade was not very happy with those , im from missouri north west corner , will be hunting some big deer up here on the 15 th , anyone have a GOOD BROAD HEAD TO RECONMEND. im dead on with my practice points which are 100 grain
dlzinck

Post by dlzinck »

Slick Trick Magnum 100gr.

You should stay dead on with those...
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s259/dlzinck/arrow.gif[/img]

Good hunting!!
Pround member of Team PETA
deerhunterlee

Post by deerhunterlee »

dlzinck wrote:Slick Trick Magnum 100gr.

is that enought grain
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i am from Howell borders Ark. i am 16 miles from Norfolk lake. have you looked at Montec G5 or Snuffers 100 or 125
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
dlzinck

Post by dlzinck »

deerhunterlee wrote:

is that enought grain
If you are shooting 100 gr field points and want to duplicate these results then 100gr will be fine.

If you want to get into an entirely different discussion about best accuracy in the field....

Then what Excalibur are you shooting, what is the draw weight, what arrow shafts do you have, how much does your complete arrow weigh, and what is your FOC, what is your goal, maximum speed, maximum penatration, maximum accuracy, ?????

But if you try the slicks, I think you will be happy
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s259/dlzinck/arrow.gif[/img]

Good hunting!!
Pround member of Team PETA
Big D

Post by Big D »

I have had a 25 deer harvest with nap spitfires. They fly like practice points. If you want to test them use the practice blades.I use one head for practice and the rest for hunting. I also recommend not using the hunting heads to many times after each harvest.

Good Luck BigD
deerhunterlee

Post by deerhunterlee »

dlzinck wrote:
deerhunterlee wrote:

is that enought grain
If you are shooting 100 gr field points and want to duplicate these results then 100gr will be fine.

If you want to get into an entirely different discussion about best accuracy in the field....

Then what Excalibur are you shooting, what is the draw weight, what arrow shafts do you have, how much does your complete arrow weigh, and what is your FOC, what is your goal, maximum speed, maximum penatration, maximum accuracy, ?????

But if you try the slicks, I think you will be happy
equinox crossbow 20 inch arrows from excalibur ,i want fixed blades broadheads but also want accuracy, 225 lbs draw and using vari zone scope from excalibur
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/publis ... ade2.shtml

This is something I found while researching for a broadhead. It favors grimreaper heads, but its a good read. The broadheads I have tried are slick trick, excal's boltcutters and wasp boss. Sadly you may have to try a couple of heads to see what fires best from your set-up.

The slick tricks are working great now with the bolts I am using now with a brass front insert. Flys just like my feild points aout to 50 yards.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
grizzly72

Post by grizzly72 »

I just finished sighting in my new equinox this evening and for the heck of it screwed on the boltcutter that cam e with it and shot 2 times only with it. it did what it was supposed to do. maybe now maybe a half inch low but it coulod have been me.. I do notice most guys dont seem to mention the boltcutters that excal sells.. Are these not the best or is there better i could be shooting???
michiganman

boltcutters

Post by michiganman »

bolt cutters are good head,its just some guys don't want that many grains ,and also some want a larger cutting broadhead.some of us add brass insert to increase foc,then shoot a lower grain broadhead.boltcutters are 159 grains.i personally shoot rocket mechanical heads,along with other family members about 50 deer with them as a family'

i believe in using all the ke available,why shoot 20 yards past on a small broadhead,when you have enough power fot a larger head,just my thought./
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

deerhunterlee wrote:,i want fixed blades broadheads but also want accuracy
If you want a solid fixed blade , then I also suggest Slick Tricks. They have great customer service if you need something too. Just make sure you spin test them, you shouldn't have a wobble . . .not even a vibration. The Slick Tricks are very well balanced. The four blades are a plus too, gives you a lot of cutting surface.

If they don't fly straight for you, then I suggest the Spitfires, Hammerheads, or other mechanicals.

Good Luck.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
sipsey

Trophy Ridge Practice Tips

Post by sipsey »

Sumner--here is a link to the 125 gr. Trophy Ridge practice tips i came across--- http://Amazon.com -- type in Trophy Ridge , there are several items listed, I think the 125's are on the third page or so--they also list some in 100 gr.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Another vote for the slicks. they do seem to like higher FOC. If you have alum inserts get the 125 gr, 100 gr if brass.

They are deceptive in appearance. I read an observation by a new Slicker on another forum. He pointed out that two 1 1/8" blades actually equals 2 1/4" cuts. He had tried the Grizz Tricks and got good accuracy from 6 different xbows.

Once I scored w/ an original Slick, I flat quit looking.
"Eze 18:21"
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

sipsey . . .OK, I see them, the Matchpoints . . .I didn't know. The regular field tips fly the same, I don't suggest spending the extra $$.

awshucks . . .the cutting surface is about the same as a 2" cut on a two blade broadhead. It's a little less than the cutting surface on the three blade 2" cut broadhead like I'm shooting. It's a good amount of cutting, especially for a small profile broadhead. The more cutting surface, the better.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen