Dry run to check out new gear.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dlzinck

Dry run to check out new gear.

Post by dlzinck »

Since I've got a lot of new equipment this year (including my Exomax) I did a dry run yesterday with all my equipment (except my crossbow) to check out how everything was working and how everything would work together. Really gald I did this. Some things became very obvious that I needed to change/add.

Since I've gone from a fixed position stand to a climber I had to switch from a back pack to lug all my crap to a belt style belly bag. This worked very well getting everything to the tree I planned to climb. Until I started to climb. The belt has several compartments and wraps around the sides. As I was climbing, the belt kept getting caught on the arm rail of my summitt goliath. So now I either need to secure the belt somewere on the climber before I start to climb, or, leave it on the ground and lift it with a rope after I'm situated. I'm leaning towards the second one because the less you have to lug up the tree as you climb the better. But now I need to be extra careful that everything I need in the event of a fall is directly on my person and not in the belt.

Also, the stand is very comfortable once positioned, and STURDY!! Since I plan on spending dawn till dusk in this thing on more than one occasion, there is no real convient place to secure/hang the crossbow when I need to free up my hands for other things. I was thinking maybe a carbiner attached to the hand rail and securing the crossbow viia the foot brace. The only problem with this is I will need to unload my arrow anytime I want to hang the crossbow, otherwise, the arrow could point in an unsafe direction. What do you folks do?

I like the harness that came with the climber but cannot stand the strap that secures it to the tree. I will probably switch to the summit safty line with the prussic knot,

If you have new equipment, clothes, gadgets, etc. a dry run is a fabulous exercise. Load it all up together, cruise through the woods, and get the kinks out before opening day. You'll be glad you did.
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s259/dlzinck/arrow.gif[/img]

Good hunting!!
Pround member of Team PETA
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i solved my backpak by attaching it to my stand, i use a viper ss. i put my arms thru shoulder straps the pak is tied on the back used it all last year like that. you can make a CB stock holder to attach to the side of climbed simular to a gun rack like they put on atv's
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Pydpiper

Re: Dry run to check out new gear.

Post by Pydpiper »

dlzinck wrote: I was thinking maybe a carbiner attached to the hand rail and securing the crossbow viia the foot brace. The only problem with this is I will need to unload my arrow anytime I want to hang the crossbow, otherwise, the arrow could point in an unsafe direction. What do you folks do?

I like the harness that came with the climber but cannot stand the strap that secures it to the tree. I will probably switch to the summit safty line with the prussic knot,
I have that belt style too for the harness, now the Summit one as well, either are "convenient".
If you do get the summit line perhaps you could bring the belt one up with you too, a few "hangar" attachments on it to hold gear, like a pack as well as a hook to hang the bow.
I also agree with the trial runs with new stuff, especially the climber it's self.
To beat the missing backpack I bought the side bags for the climber to hold everything, I am likely to regret that the first time I decide to venture away from my stand and go in by foot..
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

This is the crossbow holder I use on my summit.

It works like a charm and keeps the crossbow readily available and pointed in the right direction.

Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Must be my old monitor Mike, I just can't see how that works..
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Pydpiper wrote:Must be my old monitor Mike, I just can't see how that works..

http://www.newdawnoutdoors.com/gun_holders.htm

Scroll down to see it holding a crossbow.
Normous

Post by Normous »

David :idea: ,something that I will look into as well for the Summit.

Mike, do do detach it during travel or does it stay permanant on your Summit?
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
dlzinck

Post by dlzinck »

Mike P wrote:This is the crossbow holder I use on my summit.

It works like a charm and keeps the crossbow readily available and pointed in the right direction.

Mike I love it, it is exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, I have emailed them right after your post. I also called today around 2:30 EDT and have still had no response.

Unfortunately, I need a solution by the 19th. Does anyone sell this other than new dawn, as I have not been able to find it. If not, is there another solution just as good out there???
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s259/dlzinck/arrow.gif[/img]

Good hunting!!
Pround member of Team PETA