need some help for serving material

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cbruce

need some help for serving material

Post by cbruce »

My center serving on my phoenix just broke apart after one year. I've searched the forum for the tips to do the serving, and wish to do it myself. But I have never done it before, I don't wish to break the bank to buy a hole spool of serving material and find out later I can't do it right and waste it. I was wondering if anybody here would kindly send me about 5ft of the serving material such as halo or anything solid, so I can try to do it. I really appreciated your kindness! I have a serving tool for my compound bow, but never use it before.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I would if I had some. I gave my serving stuff to a buddy once I went w/ Boo strings.

Here's a pic of a cheap serving jig that was part of the deal. You'll want one similar.

It took me about a half hour to serve my 1st string and after doing a few, it's a 10 minute job.

"Eze 18:21"
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

PM me your address & I can get you some 0.026" Angel Majesty serving. Can't tell you if it's as good as Halo, but it's held up very, very well for me so far on an Ibex (Phoenix's sister).

Let me know if you need a spool to put it on for your serving tool. Think I have one that's nearly empty, & will wrap it around that.

If you're in a hurry to get it done before hunting season, you can send me the string & I'll serve it for you.
vaguru

Post by vaguru »

Where in Va are you? I'd be willing to serve your string for you, so you can see how it's done.
Gold Tip Pro Staff
Bohning Pro Staff
cbruce

Post by cbruce »

Thanks for all your help! bluemoon is going to get me some serving material. I will try to make a jig like that then I am ready to go. I will use my compound before get my phoenix ready, so time is enough for me.

vaguru, I live in Arlington county near Washington DC. Don't know how far you are. I will let you know if I really screw it up.
vaguru

Post by vaguru »

I'm in the Staunton area of the Shenandoah Valley, about 80 miles south of Winchester.
Gold Tip Pro Staff
Bohning Pro Staff
cbruce

Post by cbruce »

I served it last weekend. The result is not too bad. But only time will tell. Since it is my first time to do so, I have no idea how tight should I set the serving tool, and the tension I put on the string may not be good enough. The ending part is not very pretty. Here is a picture of my new serving.

Thanks bluemoon for your serving material! It works great!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Based on your picture, it looks like your serving is hitting the riser. You have your brace height forward toward or on the front line. Closer to the back line would probably give you better serving/string life. You would lose a little speed, but, only 2-3 FPS.

Pay attention to where your serving breaks. It should break at the claw marks or possibly the outside rail. If it's breaking outside of the rail, then it's the riser.

You could always add an STS.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

2x... Scott is absolutely right. Based on the pic you posted, the string is much too close to the front scribe line. Your brace height looks like it's approx. 1/2". The minimum brace height should be 1", measured from where the riser and mainframe meet. Most folks find that 1 1/8" is the ideal brace height, which would make the back of the string almost touch the rear scribe line.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i just measured both my phoenix & e'cet 200 & brace line closest to riser is 3/4". then counting the 1" on riser is total of 1 3/4" i like mine set it 2" total. yer serving looks good
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
cbruce

Post by cbruce »

totally agreed. I notice that my crossbow makes a big sound when shooting and the string hits the riser and leaves some wax mark. But I just can't pull the limb back a little more to install a shorter string. Too much weight to pull for me :cry:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

just twist yer string up a few twists. use yer stringer cock CB set safety and twist
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Do you have the stringing aide? If not, then get one or make one. You should be able to play with the lengths of the cocking rope and stringing aide until you get it perfect. Otherwise, hire someone to pull it back for you. :shock:

Good luck!

By the way, your serving looks really good and that is a very good material. Wouldn't want to ruin it by slapping it across the riser. Looks like there is already a mark on the serving.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

Looks good! Excellent advice you're getting from this gang, they won't steer you wrong. We're lucky to have a place like this with so much experience & knowledge just a question away.