#%^&#$ Glue!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dlzinck

#%^&#$ Glue!!!

Post by dlzinck »

I am building my own arrows and I really love it... But how do you professional arrow builders keep the glue from getting on to your fletching jig. Once it's on there, how do I get it off!!

I'm tired of gluing my fletching to my jig instead of my arrows!!!
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s259/dlzinck/arrow.gif[/img]

Good hunting!!
Pround member of Team PETA
Sopchoppy

glue

Post by Sopchoppy »

Use acetone; get it at Walmart, Lowes, etc.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
Big John

b

Post by Big John »

You are using to much glue. Back it off a bit. Try a couple vanes or feathers with the least amount possible, and see what happens. :wink:
Even a very fine, almost not there, line of glue is enough. :)
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Good advice so far.

You could also try not putting the vane right up tight in the clamp.

Leave the vane out a little space and when you put the vane on look at the contact beteen the van and arrow not the clamp pushing the vane on the arrow.
This way if the glue does run it wont get all over your clamp.

I use the blitzen but simular syles will work the same.

It takes a while but keep at it.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

As others said too much glue. FWIW I found the easiest to use was the Loctite Super Glue Gel. Don't be afraid to experiment with different glues until you find what you like. I am using the AZ-EZ-Fletch jig.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Horizontal Hunter wrote:As others said too much glue. FWIW I found the easiest to use was the Loctite Super Glue Gel. Don't be afraid to experiment with different glues until you find what you like. I am using the AZ-EZ-Fletch jig.

Bob
Same here, except this time I used the Loctite Super Glue liquid in the "control" bottle. That bottle worked very well and the glue was, well, super. :shock: :lol: I didn't see that in a gel . . .that would be better.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

I found that the Loctite Super Glue Gel works great with vane on carbon
shafts but not so good with aluminum shafts.
The Loctite Super Glue Liquid works better on Alumnium shatfs but is trickier to apply, you realy need to pay attention to what your doing.
Eye level work bench with a bright light.
But it worth doing!
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

put wax on the clamp so no glue will stick to it. as the rest have said use a little less so it doesn't spread out to bad.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
dlzinck

Post by dlzinck »

smokepolehall wrote:put wax on the clamp so no glue will stick to it. as the rest have said use a little less so it doesn't spread out to bad.
Would string wax work?
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s259/dlzinck/arrow.gif[/img]

Good hunting!!
Pround member of Team PETA
wabi

Post by wabi »

With the Bitzenburger I had years ago they recommended a light coat of string wax on the clamp to prevent glue from sticking to it.
wabi
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

smokepolehall wrote:put wax on the clamp so no glue will stick to it. as the rest have said use a little less so it doesn't spread out to bad.
Wow, Mike, serious contender for 'tip of the week'. The other was an insert removal trick I read of pulling the nock and using a drill bit slip fit shaft I.D. as a 'slam hammer' to break the glue.

Tough call, and to the 'slam hammer' poster, THANKS [didn't have time to post when I read it]
"Eze 18:21"
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

if you have glue coming out the sides of the vanes than its way to much.. a few little spots where glue pops out is normally the right amount. Even with that, I wipe a little paper towel down the sides while its in the clamp. I hate glue all over a pretty arrow

as John said, you want a thin line all the way down the vane. I go back with the tip of the glue container and smear it out evenly also
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

crazyfarmer wrote:if you have glue coming out the sides of the vanes than its way to much.. a few little spots where glue pops out is normally the right amount. Even with that, I wipe a little paper towel down the sides while its in the clamp. I hate glue all over a pretty arrow

as John said, you want a thin line all the way down the vane. I go back with the tip of the glue container and smear it out evenly also
Same here but I use a Q-tip and roll the Q-tip as I go.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
greenjoytj

Post by greenjoytj »

Rub a little bow string wax on the jig clamp to keep glue from sticking to the clamp, that the traditional method.

So what if a little glue is squeezed out onto the shaft, if you use Bohning Platinum (the only glue to use) just use a single edged safety razor blade to trim off the oozed out glue after its dried about an hour.

I'd rather use a little extra glue and trim it off than to little and have my vane start falling off at the worst time.

Next day put the single drop on the shaft at the tip and rear of the vane to
prevent lift off at that point. When it's dried you can trim the excess from the sides or leave it, just don't touch the blob on the shaft in front of the vane.

Forget using that instant cyanoacrylate / crazy glue stuff, sure its fast you'll be able to make dozens of screw ups per hour.
See that mess on excalibur factory made arrow shafts, thats cyano glue for you.
It's hard to get off, I have to scrape the shaft with the back side of a extra heavy duty Olfa H-1 snap off blade utility knife.
08 Equinox, #1989 string, FireBolts with NAP QuikSpin ST Speed hunter vanes, 150gr. Boltcutter BH's, Lumi-Zone scope.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Wabi, that is one of those tips that is brilliant!!!
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.