No Arrow No Release!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bkisel

No Arrow No Release!

Post by bkisel »

:cry: I hate reading the posts about dry fires! :cry:

Certainly Excalibur could engineer the action such that if no arrow were in place the CB wouldn’t fire. How difficult would the engineering be and how much might such a “safety” feature add to the price of the CB?

Take care...
TPM

Post by TPM »

The problem with an anti dry-fire mechanism is that it would prevent you from uncocking the bow by hand. The only way to uncock it would be to fire an arrow from it.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

TPM wrote:The problem with an anti dry-fire mechanism is that it would prevent you from uncocking the bow by hand. The only way to uncock it would be to fire an arrow from it.
There’s always one wise guy in every bunch :) , I didn’t think of that. It would obviously take more engineering than I first imagined. A way to negate the safety mechanism would also be necessary. Guess it could get pretty complicated and pretty expensive. Oh well, sorry for wasting your time.

Take care…
Long Trang

Post by Long Trang »

A small switch that pivots would solve the decocking issue.
dutchhunter

dry fire

Post by dutchhunter »

horton had a dry fire built in with a release that you can push down with your thumb to uncock the bow DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

I should have researched before I posted as there is all kinds of CB anti dry fire info on the web.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=983895

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/62059 ... ption.html

etc.

Take care...
Stash

Post by Stash »

I really can't think of a situation where it makes sense to have a cocked bow that's not loaded with an arrow.

Cock, safety, load arrow= no dry-fires.

Cock, safety, get distracted = dry-fires.

Not planning on shooting or being prepared to shoot right away? Then don't cock the bow.

Treestand hunters should learn to cock the bow safely in the stand. Hauling cocked bows up on a rope doesn't seem a whole lot safe to me, even if not loaded.
TPM

Post by TPM »

Cock, safety, get distracted = dry-fires.
Boy, Stash, you nailed that one. I've put a lot of arrows down range and I can honestly say I've only dry fired once and that's exactly what happened. Seeing as it happened while shooting 3D I just added it to my "excuse book". :lol:
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
dutchhunter

cocked bow

Post by dutchhunter »

i carry my bow in the cocked ready to go most of the time when walking or climmimg or in the truck or on the bike i always take the arrow put but if just moving from spo to spot i leave her ready have done this for 20years of crossbow hunting i do like the dryfire button on some crossbows and can see it being a big help to guys just starting out .i find with being able to uncoke the bow with the rope coking aid a lot of problems are taken care of DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
TrapperBob

Post by TrapperBob »

Dutch

I also move from spot to spot but always unload the bolt and relax the limbs while transporting as the regulations for Ontario state" A crossbow is considered loaded when bow is cocked and is loaded with a bolt is in the rail" Traveling with a crossbow in this state is illegal in Ontario. If the bow is just cocked though with no bolt in the rail you are still legal.

Maybe I just read the post wrong, sorry if I did.

Bob
Phoenix
Excalibur Flemish string
Easton 2216 Bolt
150 Boltcutter BH

Kids who trap and hunt don't mug little old ladies
Rich

Post by Rich »

Do a search on the subject, Bill T. has commented on this in the past. I believe reliability and cost were the major contributing factors for not having one.

Rich
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

TrapperBob wrote:Dutch

I also move from spot to spot but always unload the bolt and relax the limbs while transporting as the regulations for Ontario state" A crossbow is considered loaded when bow is cocked and is loaded with a bolt is in the rail" Traveling with a crossbow in this state is illegal in Ontario. If the bow is just cocked though with no bolt in the rail you are still legal.

Maybe I just read the post wrong, sorry if I did.

Bob
You read it right, you can travel as far as you want with any vehicle you choose will the bow in full draw, if there is no arrow on the rail.

The other reason there is no anti-dry fire is insurance, if you make a product that claims to prevent something, and that mechanism fails you can be held liable.
If you make a product and expect people to use their brains, only the shooter is liable, not too much to ask...
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

The problem with an anti dry-fire mechanism is that it would prevent you from uncocking the bow by hand.
Not exactly. I 'uncock my compound by had and it has the anti dryfire device. Just have to know how. Now a Ten Point, which has TWO safeties, that I can't do.
Simplest solution is to develop a routine then follow it religiously.
1. Cock bow
2. engage safety
3. pick up bow, insert arrow etc.
Fred

Post by Fred »

The first crossbow I bought had an antidryfire mech. and was and is still malfunctioning they seem to be more bother than they are worth