Climbing stands and gear +crossbow=a big load,,any solutions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fuel80guy

Climbing stands and gear +crossbow=a big load,,any solutions

Post by fuel80guy »

I bought a lone wolf climbing stand and intend to use it a fair bit this fall.
Im having a real hard time figuring out how im going to carry everything.
Any suggestions on how to carry stand,crossbow or compound and a backpack would be greatly appreciated.
Oh did i mention that i love to use a decoy as well.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I am working on a cart that will hold a lot of stuff to get back to where you need to go.

It is going to be made out of a 45gal plastic drum cut not quite in half, the bigger side will be the bucket of the cart.

Most pieces acquired just need to figure out the axle.Bought 12" wheels at the surplus store so it would not drag on the ground.

Will post some pics hopefully soon.
Tenpoint Matrix
Grizzly Adam

Re: Climbing stands and gear +crossbow=a big load,,any solut

Post by Grizzly Adam »

fuel80guy wrote:I bought a lone wolf climbing stand and intend to use it a fair bit this fall.
Im having a real hard time figuring out how im going to carry everything.
Any suggestions on how to carry stand,crossbow or compound and a backpack would be greatly appreciated.
Oh did i mention that i love to use a decoy as well.
Buy a mule (No, not a Kawasaki)! :lol:

Paint it blaze orange. :P

Grizz
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Fuelguy,

A couple of us own the Lone Wolf Alpha Hand Climber. What we usually do is carry the folded stand over one shoulder. Just give yourself enough slack on the platform strap and carry the stand the way a woman carries a purse. This should free up you back for your pack and allow you to hold your crossbow in front of you.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
lscha

Post by lscha »

ninepointer wrote:Fuelguy,

A couple of us own the Lone Wolf Alpha Hand Climber. What we usually do is carry the folded stand over one shoulder. Just give yourself enough slack on the platform strap and carry the stand the way a woman carries a purse. This should free up you back for your pack and allow you to hold your crossbow in front of you.
If you're going to carry it like a woman carries a purse make sure it matches your boots. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

ATV!

I use ours a lot. All the stands get dropped off using the atv. Sometimes I'll set the stand right then; other times I return later. If using the climber, sometimes I'll drop it off and other times I'll go ahead and carry it back.

But back to the use of the atv. I use it a lot in both archery and rifle season. My wife, being the good sport, will take me to stand and then return to the house. When I'm done, sometimes I walk back but if I need to get down and there are deer close, I'll call her on the two-way radio and she'll come get me on the atv.

This really works like a charm for us and we have found that the deer tolerate it very well. Part of that reason might be because we use the atv a lot and they get used to it. Many times I'll go back to cut wood and when I'm coming up with a load, deer will be bedded close to and sometimes right in the lane.

The deer also get very used to me turning around. Because if I see them early, I'll stop or just make a quick turn around so as not to disturb them. It is amazing how they get used to this very quick. I've even had them standing a few yards off a field and watch me work it up! I love it!
Keep smiling!
Dennis
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I used to use a carabiner to attach my packpack to the back of my climber and just toted my weapon in my hand. Your deer decoy may have to walk his lazy arse to the stand.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

lscha wrote:
ninepointer wrote:Fuelguy,

If you're going to carry it like a woman carries a purse make sure it matches your boots. :lol: :lol: :lol:
It was the best way I could think of to describe it :oops: ! I knew I was opening myself up for a wisecrack, I just didn't expect to come from a woman :lol: :lol: :lol:
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Don't sweat it! Put the stand on your back, fanny pack in front and bow in your hand or over your shoulder. I use the API grandslam extreme which is twice the size of the LW and it takes nothing to get in and out of the hotspots.

What it does do is allow you to ambush them. I shot my buck last year after watching deer walk through an area 2 nights in a row. The 3rd night, I was waiting.
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_17947.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/725352.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/01.jpg[/img][/url]
dw

Post by dw »

i clip my back pack to the climber and carry the croaabow by hand. or wear a fanny pack and carry the crossbow by hand
"you gotta love it"
skyhunter

Post by skyhunter »

raydaughety wrote:I used to use a carabiner to attach my packpack to the back of my climber and just toted my weapon in my hand. Your deer decoy may have to walk his lazy arse to the stand.
Yep, that's what I do. My backpack straps go over the top corners of the stand.

Your pack is pre-attached to what will be the back of the climber when it is on your back. You can also tie in outer clothes as well to the stand.

The weapon is then carried in hand to avoid contact with the stand.

Not at all hard to carry everything this way.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

I would hang my pack in my stand then put the stand on my back and carry
my bow.
But I will pick up a deer cart this year.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
fuel80guy

Post by fuel80guy »

Thanks for all the replies and yes the backpack idea seems like its going to be my best option.
munch

Post by munch »

if you look close you can see i dead deer my exomag in the case my packpack and lone wolf sit and climb
ImageImage
cart is one i made for 10 bucks i leave the cart a couple hundred yards from where i hunt and walk back to it if i shot a deer. and no deer i just sling things on my back till i get to the cart and bungie it on and away i go.(i do not fold the cart open untill i shot a deer
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I like that cart munch!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings