Thanks.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

hikerman wrote: I don't plan on buying a presure cooker so I am not sure how long the hole process takes?
See this post:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hp?t=28843

Please don't even consider anything but PRESSURE CANNING canning for putting up meat!

Take the time to learn well, listen to the advice of folks who know what to do and what not to do, be safe, and do it right.

We want you to stick around and make lots of posts! :D

Water-bathing low-acids and meats is a risky business. That's no joke.

As Jackie Clay says in the above referenced article:

Basic equipment for home canning meat:

Because meat is a low-acid food, it must be processed in a pressure canner. This allows the meat to be heated at a temperature higher than boiling, which kills the dangerous bacteria that could cause food poisoning or illness. In a pressure canner, the steam causes the internal temperature to rise to 240° F, which is a safe temperature to process low acid food. A simple boiling water bath canner only heats the food to boiling, which is 180° F. This does not allow the food to reach a high enough temperature to kill possible bacteria, no matter how long you process the food.

Yes, in the “old days” people did can meat in a boiling water bath for 3 hours, but this was NEVER SAFE and people always risked food poisoning by doing this. You must use a pressure canner to home can meat.
Last edited by Grizzly Adam on Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter »

Due to the low acid content, it is not safe to can meat other than with a pressure canner.

Some foods like tomatoes or pickles in a brine/vinegar solution that have high acid content can be canned in a hot water bath canner, but not meat or other low acid vegetables or fruits.

For confirmation of this, pleas check with your County Extension Agent or seek guidance in a publication that discusses the different caning techniques; for different foods.

Botulism is deadly and can be impossible to cure.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

I have to say that this is the first time I have ever heard or read about canning meat. I assume we're talking deer here?
What does the meat come out like? Is it like the canned meat you buy at the supermarket in cans,only that it's venison instead? Potted meat, Spam, etc?!!
I don't think I could do that with my deer meat but I am always willing to try something different if it's good.
Wow! This is DEFINITELY a new on me. Not putting anyone down here but I would sure like to know more of this............
Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter »

TripleM,

In my youth, before freezers were in every home, I leaned to can meat from my mom.

You MUST use a pressure caner, which is specifically designed to hold quart caning jars. It is easy and the meat will be already pre-cooked.

Even though in my retirement I have three freezers, I still can a portion of my venison because it is already pre-cooked and can be eaten or used as-is.

What can be caned, you asked? Ground meat, large and small chunks, sausage links, bulk sausage, steak and just about any other boneless cut of meat, e.g. venison, fish or fowl that you can get into a wide-mouth canning jar.

I suggest that if you are interested in caning your harvest that you pick-up a free meat canning guide from your County Extension Agent or purchase a caning publication from a local book store.

The only other things that I might add are that when you can, you dedicate ample time and plan on working in a sterile environment – tools, table top, knives, jars, lids, rings – every thing must be absolutely boil water sterile.

I hope that you do some canning. It is fun and I can almost guarantee you that you will be the only one in your neighborhood with these skills. Mystify your friends with a gift of a quart of caned venison.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Meat Hunter and bstout, thanks for the replies. This was all greek to me 'til now.
My wife has a pressure cooker for the red/purple plum preserves and others that I love but now I'm gonna have to try this!
When I saw this post, I HAD to ask what we're talking here.
I WILL be trying this out on my hunting bro's here this year and get a response from them.
From ya'lls posts it sure looks like a different approach to venison.
Gonna surely give it a try.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Canned venison is wonderful had some in home made vegetable soup for supper
Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter »

TripleM,

A ‘Pressure Cooker’ and a ‘Pressure Canner’ are not the same thing.

A ‘Pressure Cooker’ is for cooking food and cannot be used for canning. A ‘Pressure Cooker’ is not large enough to hold canning jars and may not have the correct size pressure weight on the steam vent.

A ‘Pressure Canner’ is large; about +-16” D x +-16” H.

Presto is the brand of ‘Pressure Canner’ that I see most often and the prices range from $70 to $100.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Meat Hunter,thanks for the difference between "cooker" and "canner".
Gonna give Presto a look-see and make sure I get the right thing.
Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter »

TripleM,

I don’t know if you have Ace Hardware stores in your area of East Texas. But in my area of Mississippi, all the Ace Hardware stores either have Presto Canners in stock or they can order them from their supplier.
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Before we ever knew much about so-called bad things happening we used to can a lot of meat including venison. So far, we are all alive but my wife finally got a pressure canner (two actually) and we've been doing it that way for many years now.

I agree with the 1" x 1" cubes of red meat and we also are very particular about taking off all the white stuff and fat. Instead of filling the jars partially, we just stuff them full. Then my wife even shoves the meat down and adds more. She then adds 1 teaspoon of salt per quart or 1/2 per pint.

The meat is cooked once it is canned. My wife likes to open a can of venison and just make a meat sandwich. No heating or cooking required. I like to just put the venison in a frying pan along with lots of oleo. I say add a bunch and if you think that is enough, add more anyway. The meat really comes out delicious that way and that is how I eat is mostly.

There are hundreds of ways you can serve it though. Naturally a lot of people like to add onions or gravy or whatever or even use the venison in chili. Just use your imagination.

Warning: Once you eat good canned venison, you might cut up the entire deer for canning. It really tastes that good. I've had many people who hate venison who are amazed how good it is when canned.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
bobby2bears

Pressure Cooker/Canner

Post by bobby2bears »

Todays modern plug in pressure cookers are not made to can. However there are quite a few stove top pressure cookers that can be used for canning also. I have a Mirro pressure cooker that I have used for canning for years. Just be sure when you buy it that it is either a canner or a multipurpose cooker. Do a goole search for pressure canning meat and you will see. There is no need to spend a lot of money for a pressure canner only!
TrapperBob

Post by TrapperBob »

I think this link was posted here a couple of weeks ago, or maybe another hunting sight.

It is a great read on canning.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/clay105.html

Bob
Phoenix
Excalibur Flemish string
Easton 2216 Bolt
150 Boltcutter BH

Kids who trap and hunt don't mug little old ladies
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

TrapperBob wrote:I think this link was posted here a couple of weeks ago, or maybe another hunting sight.

It is a great read on canning.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/clay105.html

Bob
Indeed, it was!

I posted it, and it's in the link included in my reply to this thread ... the first one! :P

Jackie's article is a good one. That gal knows her stuff.

In keeping with that, the Backwoods Home website is an invaluable resource for people who just "don't know how" to do so many things, for whatever reason.

I highly recommend it! :D
Grizz
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

My only experience w/ canned venison was some a friend made. He cut his in chunks, then rolled it in flour and seasonings before pressure cooking in jars, think his was 45 min at 15 lbs, but it came out like hot beef only better.

Sounds like you bare meat guys get similar results w/ less dirty dishes, lol. I'm curious if anyone else has tried this method and about the pressure/time thing.

I say pressure cooker, but don't really know the diff and it's been 30 yrs ago.

Edited to add: see I left out the browning in oil in elec frying pan prior to putting in jars, sorry.
Last edited by awshucks on Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Eze 18:21"